Statism - the fundamental dysfunction of our world

Malignacious

This might open your eyes a bit.

For a more philosophical background watch this

And if you really wish to educate yourself and stop being a collectivist zombie:

The Problem of Political Authority, Michael Huemer

Democracy: The God That Failed, Hans-Hermann Hoppe

The Myth of the Rational Voter: Why Democracies Choose Bad Policies, Bryan Caplan

Great Myths of the Great Depression, Lawrence Reed

Most Dangerous Superstition, Larken Rose

The Market for Liberty, Morris and Linda Tannehill

Man, Economy, and State, with Power and Market, Murray Rothbard

The Machinery of Freedom: Guide to a Radical Capitalism, David Friedman

Universally Preferable Behaviour, Stefan_Molyneux

On Truth The Tyranny of Illusion, Stefan Molyneux

God: The Failed Hypothesis. How Science Shows That God Does Not Exist by Victor J. Stenger

• Like 2

LoF, Oby and this guy... the same genius is behind all of them. Let's see if he can do steely-eyed libertarianism properly.

Damn, I thought a militant religious dude would be next on the alt list.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

What's the alternative though, aren't people always going to seek power and to consolidate that power. If we did away with all nation states, how long before they would arise again ?

Yes, people will always seek power. That's why we can't have a centralized power - statism, which killed 260 million people in the last century.

What do you mean about rising again?

There is only a single pillar upon which statism rests, the taxation theft. State offers poor services which could be better achieved in the free market, but without coercion. And what it doesn't spend on poor services it spends on its own proliferation, warmongering, irrational laws, and artificial barriers between people.

So, the situation is simple, if you sign a contract for a service you get the service. If you receive a service without having signed any contract for it, the enforcement of compensation for that service is an illegitimate act of aggression.

Also:

Prisons in a free society

Law Enforcement in a Free Society

Military Defense in a Free Society

Wouldn't warlords take over?

Edited by Malignacious

An anarchist utopia I would imagine to be a village size community of say a few thousand people were everyone could participate daily in direct democracy, as opposed to the representative kind, so what happens when the warlord from the neighbouring town invades. Doesn't history teach us that the creation of empires, and by extention nation states is unavoidable. 

• Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

In your grand vision of things, the state would be replaced with all powerful corporations.

Corporation is a legal fiction created by the government to remove personal accountability.

It is impossible for such entity to exist in the free market because nobody would have the monopoly on force and control over the flow of money(the communist central banking that we have right now).

And with polycentric laws, such entity wouldn't even be conceivable.

Edited by Malignacious

Anarcho-capitalism: Anarcho-syndicalism's paranoid brother.

• Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

An anarchist utopia I would imagine to be a village size community of say a few thousand people were everyone could participate daily in direct democracy, as opposed to the representative kind, so what happens when the warlord from the neighbouring town invades. Doesn't history teach us that the creation of empires, and by extention nation states is unavoidable. 

All of that has been accounted for with the new transformational and decentralizing technologies of internet and crypto currency.

The first 10 minutes here alone debunks indepth your misguided, outdated notions.

Sometimes I really do envy folks like this.  That feeling of smug superiority for being one of the select few who can see what is so obviously wrong with the rest of the world is really great. 

Ah, to be 15 again.  It doesn't feel fair that some people appear able to prolong that feeling well into middle-age.

• Like 9

If there has been one constant throughout human history it has been warfare and conquest. Somehow I doubt we are done with that. 

Same can be said for slavery.

But in modernity, violence stems from the state.

For example, the First World War; never mind the root cause, but it was the introduction of the communist central banking and debt based currency which prolonged it to four years instead of one, which everyone had previously, at the time, expected to last.

This directly set the conditions for the Second World War and the US involvement in the first one directly caused Germans to fund Bolsheviks to overthrow the Russian czarism, introducing one of the great evils of our time - communism.

Furthermore, your implicit claim that humans are violent is empirically false.

There are certain thresholds in development of human civilization, statism is just one of those thresholds, following others before it, like tribalism and slavery.

Edited by Malignacious

That's nice and everything but we still have countries and we still have armies, people still band together based on culture and ethnicity, there is still a need for the security provided by the nation state. That security is provided by the excercise of force. What would the social contract be without a big stick to back it up. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

In your grand vision of things, the state would be replaced with all powerful corporations.

Corporation is a legal fiction created by the government to remove personal accountability.

It is impossible for such entity to exist in the free market because nobody would have the monopoly on force and control over the flow of money(the communist central banking that we have right now).

And with polycentric laws, such entity wouldn't even be conceivable.

Have to agree. Corpo are the product of government regulations and mendling on free market.

Again, we've had periods in history where government was small and did not regulate business.  It was called the Gilded Age, and you ended up with corrupt railroad companies that controlled pricing and reaped huge profits.  Didn't any of you play Monopoly as children?

I'm inherently suspicious of Utopianism of any stripe. I have libertarian sympathies, but libertarianism informs my politics rather than shapes them.

The nation state is the least-worst system at this time. Liberal democracy is the least-worst system at this time. Capitalism is the least-worst system at this time.

Libertarian values, in my opinion, are the best way to regulate these systems, while recognising these systems benefit the most without us falling into the thrall of Utopians of both Left and Right.

So, OP troll, screw your reading list. It's written by extremists, be they Ayn Rand or Karl Marx, both cheeks of the same arse. Hey, I'm a poet.

• Like 3

sonsofgygax.JPG

Idealists tend to forget the predatory nature of capitalism if there is no one forcing everyone to play by the same rules.

You are refering to corporations that ensure everybody plays by the rules they pay for to be established?

Industry oversigth and regulation isn't always corrupt. It just seems to happen with alarming regularity in the US in particular  and other places as well I'm sure. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.