Rate your 2014 games here!

I just felt like a bit a brief reviewing of all the games and expansions that have been released this year (and more are on the way - I will have to get back on them in this thread later).

As I go first, I've decided to pick a format that was standard in the classic game magazines of the 80s. In particular, I'll borrow a few concepts from Zzap64!, which I adored.

In order for me to review the games, I reckoned that my playtime needed to be at least 8 hours (like a day of playing it). However, a drawback is that some of the games have endings that are tens or hundreds of hours away, so this means I haven't seen everything in them yet.

Well, here are the concepts that I'll be grading them with, using percentages, 0 being awaful, 100 being absolutely excellent:

Hookability (fun gameplay and depth)

Lastability (including replayability)

Entertainment value (the passive fun-aspect of the game: How fun was it to watch, read and listen to)

Out of these three, I'll calculate a mean value and call that the overall score.

I won't rate them on graphics, sound or value for money.

I'll rate the games in order of my playing them this year.

Might & Magic X: Legacy

Hookability:                 78

Lastability:                  79

Entertainment value:    75

D3 Reaper of Souls:

Hookability:                 81

Lastability:                  82

Entertainment value:    72

Thief:

Hookability:                 58

Lastability:                  68

Entertainment value:    67

Goat Simulator:

Hookability:                 28

Lastability:                  14

Entertainment value:    48

The Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure:

Hookability:                 63

Lastability:                  58

Entertainment value:    77

Wolfenstein: The New Order:

Hookability:                 67

Lastability:                  66

Entertainment value:    70

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 2:

Hookability:                 73

Lastability:                  76

Entertainment value:    70

Company of Heroes 2: Western Front Armies:

Hookability:                 87

Lastability:                  86

Entertainment value:    67

Divinity: Original Sin:

Hookability:                 84

Lastability:                  82

Entertainment value:    82

Wasteland2:

Hookability:                 81

Lastability:                  87

Entertainment value:    84

Endless Legend:

Hookability:                 80

Lastability:                  89

Entertainment value:    82

Alright, this results in the following table, using overall scores based on the scores above:

1) 84.0 Wasteland 2

2) 83.7 Endless Legend

3) 82.7 Divinity: Original Sin

4) 80.0 Company of Heroes 2: WF

5) 78.3 Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls

6) 77.3 Might & Magic X: Legacy

7) 73.0 The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 2

8  67.7 Wolfenstein: The New Order

9) 66.0 The Tesla Effect

10) 64.3 Thief

11) 30.0 Goat Simulator

As you can see, a few games released this summer and in early autumn have been excellent IMHO. I can't wait to see how Civ: Beyond Earth and DA:I will score on this list. There is also the possibility of Pillars of Eternity this year.

What would your scores be for games or expansions for games that have been released this year?

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 3

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I just realized this: 1,2, 6, 9 on this list is actually Unity-based games. It's becoming a classic game engine, it seems.

I hate when people talk down about the Unity engine or have the misconception that is a bad engine. Unity had all the things that Unreal 3 promised, it is right now one of the two best engines on the market next to Unreal 4. Apparently everyone is still judging the first iteration of Unity without seeing how far has come.

• Like 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Divinity: Original Sin was very good. Wasteland 2 looks pretty good. Might & Magic X was pretty good.

That makes it a better year so far than most.

• Like 1

Pillars of Eternity Beta:

Hookability:                 60

Lastability:                  100

Entertainment value:    45

Dead Rising 3:

Hookability:                 95

Lastability:                  10

Entertainment value:    80

Plague Inc.:

Hookability:                 100

Entertainment value:    100

PAC-MAN DX:

Hookability:                 100

Lastability:                  99

Entertainment value:    87

State of Decay:

Hookability:                 50

Lastability:                  50

Entertainment value:    40

Divinity: Original Sin:

Hookability:                 99

Lastability:                  60

Entertainment value:    100

Shadows of Mordor:

Hookability:                 70

Lastability:                  85

I'm sure Costume Quest 2 next week will be 11s in all categories.

• Like 1

Wasteland 2

Hookability: Very Hooking, I can play over 12 hours long sessions
Lastability: offers over hundred hours of gameplay
Entertainment value: I find game to be very entertaining

Heartstone: Heroes of Warcraft

Hookability: I find this game very hooking as I find myself to return to play it day after day
Lastability: I have clocked over 300 hours, so...
Entertainment value: I find this to be more time spending game than entertaining.

Godus (beta 2.x.x) 

Hookability: I find game to be quite hooking, but also good background game as it don't need constant watching
Lastability: Currently I have clocked over 400 hours, but as I run it in background that isn't necessary that impressive
Entertainment value: I find game to be surprisingly entertaining even though gameplay has lots of waiting build in it.

Divinity: Original Sin

Hookability: I find this game to be only mediocre hooking, as my average game sessions with it are only 1-2 hours long 
Lastability: Game has lots to do, but currently I don't feel that I will play more than one playthrough

Entertainment value: At it best game is very entertaining, but it also has some low points that bring my enjoyment down.

Watch_Dogs

Hookability: At begging game is promising, but then it loses it appeal, so I would say that overall hookability isn't very high
Lastability: I didn't finish the game and probably will not finish, so I would say not very high
Entertainment value: At first very entertaining then it becomes chore and loses all it entertaining value

Heroine’s Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok (release date 25.12.2013)

Hookability: I find game to be interesting but its hooks don't bite very deep
Lastability: I played game about 10 hours, so quite short
Entertainment value: It brought up all Quest for Glory nostalgia that were buried in me, which made game very entertaining to play

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Hookability: Game wasn't for me
Lastability: Can't say, because of previous point

Entertainment value: I see why some would find game entertaining, but for me it was not

Titanfall

Hookability: Game wasn't for me
Lastability: Can't say, because of previous point
Entertainment value: I see why some would find game entertaining, but for me it was not

• Like 1

So far:

Dark Souls 2:

Hookability: 100
Lastability: 100
Entertainment value: 100

The Banner Saga

Hookability: 95

Lastability: 85

Entertainment value: 90

D3 Reaper of Souls:

Hookability: 85

Lastability: 80

Entertainment value: 70

BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea - Part 2

Hookability: 50

Lastability: 30

Entertainment value: 50

Total War: Rome II - Emperor Edition

The Walking Dead - Season 2

Hookability: 65

Lastability: 50

Entertainment value: 65

The Wolf Among Us

Hookability: 65

Lastability: 50

Entertainment value: 65

• Like 1

Cool lists, guys! Thanks for sharing! :)

Plague Inc.:

Hookability:                 100

Entertainment value:    100

Shadows of Mordor:

Hookability:                 70

Lastability:                  85

Plague Inc - I have missed that completely - but from what you are scoring it, it seems to be stellar and perfect in every way.

Shadows of Mordor - good scores. I've been thinking about picking it up, but I have this anti-thing for orcs. Even in D&D, they just bore me to tears.

Wasteland 2

Hookability: Very Hooking, I can play over 12 hours long sessions
Lastability: offers over hundred hours of gameplay
Entertainment value: I find game to be very entertaining

Heartstone: Heroes of Warcraft

Hookability: I find this game very hooking as I find myself to return to play it day after day
Lastability: I have clocked over 300 hours, so...
Entertainment value: I find this to be more time spending game than entertaining.

Godus (beta 2.x.x) 

Hookability: I find game to be quite hooking, but also good background game as it don't need constant watching
Lastability: Currently I have clocked over 400 hours, but as I run it in background that isn't necessary that impressive
Entertainment value: I find game to be surprisingly entertaining even though gameplay has lots of waiting build in it.

Divinity: Original Sin

Hookability: I find this game to be only mediocre hooking, as my average game sessions with it are only 1-2 hours long 
Lastability: Game has lots to do, but currently I don't feel that I will play more than one playthrough

Entertainment value: At it best game is very entertaining, but it also has some low points that bring my enjoyment down.

Elerond, great mini-reviews there! :)

On WL2, I certainly agree that it's so hard to put away. I actually have to literally restrain myself to get any work done. I have even invented one restraint - that I need to wait for those non-sensical Steam achievements before continuing (I've already failed that Will-save twice).

On D:OS: My scores are based on like 12 hours of playing, and some of it alpha and beta, so I'm just at the start of the game, where everything is new, fun and polished. Perhaps I need to change the score, when I play it as much as other games.

Heartstone: What a surprise! So, it's actually a good game? I just passed on it when I saw it.

Godus: Thanks for that pro-tip! I must check it out.

So far:

Dark Souls 2:

Hookability: 100
Lastability: 100
Entertainment value: 100

The Banner Saga

Hookability: 95

Entertainment value: 90

D3 Reaper of Souls:

Lastability: 80

BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea - Part 2

Hookability: 50

Lastability: 30

Entertainment value: 50

Your BioShock Infinite: BaS scores are good indicators as to why I regret buying BSI in the first place. It looks very nice, but that's about it, really.

D3 RoS: We certainly have the same kind of appreciation for that game.

DS 2: You are apparently a big fan. I have never owned these games (since the PC ports are horrid), but I have tried it over at a friend's, and it's very much, do the correct moves with the right timing or die.

The Banner Saga: So far, I've given it a miss, I might pick it up in some sale and check it out.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Plague Inc - I have missed that completely - but from what you are scoring it, it seems to be stellar and perfect in every way.

Plague, Inc. is a very, very good port of a mobile game. They keep the simple nature while at the same time making it feel "fuller" for the computer. And the difficulty ramps up pretty damn quickly. It lulls you into a false sense of security, with you moving forward in order to unlock more and more bacteria and virus types, but what it is really doing is making you think the entire game is one thing. Then you get to the third "stage" and everything changes. 

And it pretty much sounds like the entire game works this way, including different scenarios (beyond the ones in the Game Type option). There's a Zombie Virus, an Ape Virus, many different unlockables for chargen. 

Also, The Banner Saga is amazing. First Kickstarter game that made me go "wow".

• Like 1

Watch Dogs: Meh

This. I think it's the only (new) game I've gotten all year. Need to get shadwgåte and mebbe wasteland at some point, since I've already paid for them, anyway...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

It's too early for me to compile a best of 2014 list because Bayonetta 2 isn't out yet and I haven't finished Wasteland 2 or played Divinity: Original Sin at all yet.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Keyrock: I hear you, and like I wrote, I have barely started a few of these games (even with my requirement of 8 h in). Come back any time, I'd love to read your scores. Overall, though, I have a feeling that you, like me, have been enjoying this year's batch of games and then some! :)

The games for me in 2014.

Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls

Hookability:                 90  Such a huge change from the original D3. The 5th Act was awesome and Adventure mode turned it into another game

Lastability:                   75  Played it for months non-stop. Did get over 7000+ achievements. Very close to 100%. Have moved on for now but can see myself returning

Entertainment value:    88  I'd rate it highly as well. Atmosphere, good story, and overall fun. Even the crafting was enjoyable.

Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

Hookability:                 10  Frustrating due to the random decks that I was dealt with. Random luck if I won. For a free game, it was good to try out. Not my type of game though.

Lastability:                    0   Won't be playing this again due to the frustration.

Entertainment value:     10  Very repetitive. It's a card game! That's it. But the frustration killed it for me.

Heroes of the Storm Alpha

Hookability:                 90  For the short time I played this, it was great. Rock solid stable for an Alpha, hilarious gameplay. I really enjoyed it.

Lastability:                   60  Can't see myself playing this for any great length of time.

Entertainment value:    75  Loved the short story it had, loved the mixing of all the different characters from all the franchises. Found it entertaining.

Pillars of Eternity Beta (v3.01 - Scores would have been lower for previous iterations)

Hookability:                 40  Still a lot of problems. And not just balancing and bugs. Total game design. Hopefully combat will be improved.

Lastability:                   15  I have hope a lot can be fixed but can only see myself playing this once for the story when the game is released. Much like IWD2 when I only finished it once.

Entertainment value:    60  Nice backgrounds. Interesting quest with the Lord and girl. The other quests were kinda meh. Just fetch quests. Interesting history and lore.

Wasteland 2

Hookability:                  90   Awesome game. Everything I've been waiting years for, no scratch that, waiting a decade for. Overall an awesome game for me.

Lastability:                   90   Oh yes, I can see myself playing this for many years.

Entertainment value:     90  Love the setting, the easter eggs, the dialogue options, everything

Ah okay. I understand now. :facepalm:

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II
  • Like 1

Yeah, WL2 really knocked my socks off too. It's much better than expected! :)

Also, Hiro, please score Entertainment Value as well, if you have the time.

You misunderstood what it meant:

"Entertainment value (the passive fun-aspect of the game: How fun was it to watch, read and listen to)"

- For this, I meant you, as a watcher, a reader and a listener, while you are playing it.

I tried Rome II, which I just could not get into so it wouldn't be proper to rate it, and I didn't get even halfway through Dark Souls 2, the only other new 2014 game I tried to play. I don't play too many new games.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

So I've tried to think back on this year and there aren't actually very many games that I can say I'm 'done' with and therefore am in a position to rate. Indeed only three, and one, The Banner Saga, I can only give an N/A because I abandoned it less than an hour in due to the gamey "don't kill anything" strategy it demands. So, er, yeah, MM10 6/10, MK8 7/10, everything else score pending.

It's weird to think about because it's no contest in that it's a no-brainer to say that this year has been a much better year in gaming than 2013, which may have been the worst gaming year I can remember. But I gave Monaco an almost perfect score, and I don't feel any single title will even get near it this year. So lots of good games, but no standout as of yet.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Titanfall: Played for about 150 hours before getting bored. A lot of fun, if a bit frustrating (matchmaking!!!!), definitely GOTY for me.

State of Decay: Was very intriguing from the start, but I lost interest quiclky, and I can't really define why.

Watchdogs: Played for 2 hours and uninstalled. Tepid ****.

Banished: Very addictive, played for about (looks at Steam profile) wow 180 hours! City builders without any military component is an old weakness of mine.

Alien: Isolation: Very good so far.

I got the Banner Saga, but haven't tried it yet. Damn real life.

Edited by FTL_Dodo

I've finished yet another game released in 2014, one that I supported over at Kickstarter: Unrest.

It didn't even last 7 hours, but it was well written, with interesting twists and turns. It was choices, choice, choices. I played it in Ironman Mode, with only one save. The graphics were competent enough for such a simple adventure/story game.

The setting felt very fresh and fleshed out.

BoWKsX.jpg

It ended pretty nicely for me. The usurpor is going down right here, and the young queen enforces his removal, peacefully enough.

Unrest:

Hookability:                 54

Lastability:                  65

Entertainment value:    71

This gives it an average overall score of 63.3.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot