Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Installed Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

Elerond

Elerond

One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2649 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Windows 7, really? So I could upgrade my old win7 OEM for free and there is no catch?

I think that MS want more lessen number of users of old Windows versions so that they don't replicate XP syndrome again and same time they get larger customer base for their new software platform and shop and also lessen how much effort they need to put in to support those old versions. As anyway they get most of their money from OS sold with new machines, so I would guess that it is better for them if they can get large part of current computers to move their newest OS withing year instead of needing to wait multiple years like with previous Windows versions, especially when they try marketing this time how all windows devices work together.

• Monte Carlo and Fighter like this

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3291 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'm digging it so far but haven't had a chance to put it through the paces yet

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6720 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm having a pretty positive experience with it, I've got a new ultrabook arriving soon and i'll be upgrading immediately.

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1913 posts

Seems windows 10 is not activating/converting old keys when upgrading, as far as I heard Microsoft reps said it will be resolved withing 2 days. I guess I'll have to wait before doing a clean install.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1761 posts
  • Steam:Ask!
I'm waiting for a real installer that I can use on any computer, formatted with W7/8 or not, before I bother... :p

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1913 posts

I'm waiting for a real installer that I can use on any computer, formatted with W7/8 or not, before I bother... :p

That has been out since yesterday. https://www.microsof...nload/windows10

• Bartimaeus likes this

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1761 posts
Holy moly, so either I get Windows Home for free, or I pay $200 for Professional. What silly pricing options.

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1913 posts

Holy moly, so either I get Windows Home for free, or I pay $200 for Professional. What silly pricing options.

I'm either gonna grab the Education version (Enterprise with some additions) or just grab the Pro version once I get back in to University. I don't like this crap being tied to my hardware and even that is not working right at the moment.

JadedWolf

JadedWolf

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Just be sure to turn this off once you've installed Windows 10.

http://www.theregist...10_wi_fi_sense/

http://uk.businessin...015-7?r=US&IR=T

Edited by JadedWolf, 30 July 2015 - 12:12 PM.

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1913 posts

Managed to force it to activate by spamming "slmgr.vbs /ato" in elevated command prompt a couple of times.

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3840 posts

Meanwhile I tried the manual installer and got the memetic "Something Happened Something Happened" error message. But that finally led me down the right path, I had to change my language and locale from English (Australia) to English (United States). Just checked my main desktop and it's always been Australia and it has the upgrade tray icon though, so it's a weird peculiarity with my test machine.

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1913 posts

Anyone tried Edge? Is it any good? I think I'm going to give it a go once there is adblock for it.

Edited by Sarex, 31 July 2015 - 05:47 AM.

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6720 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Kickstarter Backer

Edge is OK, actually, but I'm sticking with Opera.

CoM_Solaufein

CoM_Solaufein

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5116 posts
  • Steam:apocalypse_2000

I'm not going to upgrade until Creative gets their stupid drivers updated for Win10, which said on their site may be in October. :banghead:

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3840 posts

Hmm, that made me go check whether drivers were available for my Asus Essence ST. Answer is no. Then I checked for the Win8.1 driver. There's one download, a beta driver from April 2014. So Asus are just as bad, if not worse than Creative in that regard. That said, I don't even know if the Z170 board I'll eventually be going for will even have a PCI slot, so it might be a moot point. Every chance I'll just use the DAC in my Topping VX1 amp I think, though I haven't tested it yet.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1761 posts

Edge is OK, actually, but I'm sticking with Opera.

I used Opera for so long, but when they switched to being a Chrome clone, I had to make the switch to Firefox. oldOpera was just falling apart on most websites after so many years. ;(

Edited by Bartimaeus, 02 August 2015 - 09:39 PM.

Spider

Spider

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2172 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm not going to upgrade until Creative gets their stupid drivers updated for Win10, which said on their site may be in October. :banghead:

I've been running Windows 10 for a couple of weeks (got it from the insider program) and use the old win8 drivers for my creative soundcard. Works like a charm.

Afaik the architecture in Windows 10 isn't different enough, so pretty much everything working for Windows 8 should work with 10 as well.

mute688

mute688

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Godmode makes a return in Windows 10.  Make a new folder and name it Godmode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Aoyagi

Aoyagi

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 252 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

A handy guide to remove all the (known) scumbagery from Win10.

Edited by Aoyagi, 04 August 2015 - 03:04 AM.

• Fighter, JadedWolf and Sarex like this

JadedWolf

JadedWolf

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

And if you are too lazy for that, there's an app.

And if you install that app, it actually installs malware, apparently.

https://www.reddit.c...for_windows_10/

Edited by JadedWolf, 06 August 2015 - 12:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users