Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Installed Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

Deadly_Nightshade

Deadly_Nightshade

Vampire

• Members
  • 5133 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'll wait to try it until the keylogger is gone.

http://www.pcworld.c...ng-and-you.html

http://www.pcworld.c...al-version.html

babaganoosh13

babaganoosh13

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 720 posts
  • Steam:babaganoosh013
  • Xbox Gamertag:babaganoosh013

I really don't want the store anywhere near my operating system unless I want to install it 100% voluntarily and separately from when windows is installed on my next desktop and laptop. That is a big part of why 8 is really bad for real computers. I just want a flippin' operating system to run the crap I want on my computers.

• Chilloutman likes this

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 8988 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I don't want to make a new thread just to ask this, so...

...can you still buy Windows 7 from Microsoft? When I go to their page I just see 8.1 stuff.

...I know you can try to get it from other places but trusting whether what they send you is a new/legal copy seems rather iffy.

Sigh. I may have to use Win10 or whatever when I build the new rig.

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3829 posts
Quick look at the likes of Amazon and Newegg show OEM versions are still plentiful (OEM installations are tied to your motherboard and won't activate again if you switch it to a different model, and are not covered directly by MS support, but are otherwise full function) and I don't see the situation changing anytime soon.

The Pro versions of Windows 8/8.1 come with downgrade rights to Win7 Pro, but that's probably an unnecessary expense (probably the only way to buy direct from MS though). If you can find a copy of the discontinued Win7 "Family Pack", that's three upgrade copies of Win7 Home Premium, but a quick Google will show how to do a full install with it (legally a bit questionable but eh). The latter is likely the cheapest option (per copy, that is), but somewhat hard to find these days.

Edited by Humanoid, 11 January 2015 - 06:10 AM.

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1364 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

most stores that sell HW could set you up with a OEM installation... and it's often for free for regular customers, at least in my country.

AwesomeOcelot

AwesomeOcelot

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1247 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Win 8.1 is fine, actually better than Win 7, it uses less resources, runs and boots faster. The Metro Start screen is functionally better than the start menu, I rarely use either anyway. Everything else is identical to Win 7, apart from Task Manager, which is improved. Apart from using the Start screen to load rarely used applications (it has 2 screens that I have setup as a 2D taskbar launcher and an organised wall of application icons), I never use Metro for anything else, literally, I avoid it entirely which is something you couldn't do in Win 8 (thus I never used it on my PCs).

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3829 posts

most stores that sell HW could set you up with a OEM installation... and it's often for free for regular customers, at least in my country.

Most certainly will not be free in the US, but the installation process for the OEM is no different to retail versions anyway. The box will be a bit less fancy (last I bought one it was in a typical DVD case with a plain white slipcover) but the purchasing experience is as with any boxed software, a DVD and a product key in a box. Indeed I believe the DVD itself is identical whether it's the retail version or the OEM version (though either way I recommend downloading the latest ISO directly instead of using the DVD which may be an older version that creates more hassles with updating).

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 8988 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I did see some on Amazon, but then user reviews were claiming when received, the keys didn't work/it wasn't legal. Hence..."iffy" to go that route since you don't know who is really trustworthy on something like Amazon.

OEM Win7 Pro is what I'm using now, hence my question. :lol: ... I should have bought a few copies a bit later or something, but I didn't.

Win 8.1 is fine

Sorry, I hate it.

I just have to hope Win10/whatever is at least slightly more tolerable to my picky self.

• Bartimaeus likes this

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1872 posts

Sorry, I hate it.

I just have to hope Win10/whatever is at least slightly more tolerable to my picky self.

Just install start8, disable every ****ing thing that leads you to metro and it's great.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 8988 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Metro is not the only reason I dislike it. If you/others like 8, that's great. I just don't. And yes I've tried it...on hubby's pc's and my recent laptop.

P.S. - I'm still not a huge fan of Win7, either. Haha.

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1872 posts

P.S. - I'm still not a huge fan of Win7, either. Haha.

Ah, well can't really help you there.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 8988 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Yeah...it's just a curse of my super-finickiness. :lol:

One day I may have the energy to actually move to Linux. One day.

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1872 posts

Yeah...it's just a curse of my super-finickiness. :lol:

One day I may have the energy to actually move to Linux. One day.

I tell that to my self every week... Only I want to learn to work in Linux and not really migrate.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6426 posts

If you have the extra RAM, then installing Linux on the free VMware Player is a good way to try it out under Windows. Gone are the days of being restricted to one OS thanks to virtualized machines

I have Ubuntu & OSX Yosemite installed on VMware. They're fun to mess with, and run really smooth almost like it's natively installed (well Yosemite required some extra hacks to get running okay, and some functions like iMessage don't work because it's not detecting legit mac hardware)

untitled-17ruta.jpg

screenshotfrom2015-016gu1u.jpg

screenshot2015-01-11aq9ugc.jpg

Edited by Bokishi, 11 January 2015 - 02:09 PM.

• Sarex likes this

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1364 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Most certainly will not be free in the US, but the installation process for the OEM is no different to retail versions anyway. The box will be a bit less fancy (last I bought one it was in a typical DVD case with a plain white slipcover) but the purchasing experience is as with any boxed software, a DVD and a product key in a box. Indeed I believe the DVD itself is identical whether it's the retail version or the OEM version (though either way I recommend downloading the latest ISO directly instead of using the DVD which may be an older version that creates more hassles with updating).

many stores have a special licence that allows them to install windows as OEM on any pc from the same disk. if you right click on "my computer" and select properties, you may see the store's logo next to the windows version info

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2882 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Looks like Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for one year to those already using Windows 7 or 8.1.

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1872 posts

Does that mean that we can install windows 10 with windows 8 keys? And do student keys count?

Fighter

Fighter

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 806 posts

Windows 7, really? So I could upgrade my old win7 OEM for free and there is no catch?

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2882 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
http://www.zdnet.com...hone-8-1-users/