Installed Windows 10

Bokishi

Meanwhile I tried the manual installer and got the memetic "Something Happened Something Happened" error message. But that finally led me down the right path, I had to change my language and locale from English (Australia) to English (United States). Just checked my main desktop and it's always been Australia and it has the upgrade tray icon though, so it's a weird peculiarity with my test machine.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Anyone tried Edge? Is it any good? I think I'm going to give it a go once there is adblock for it.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I'm not going to upgrade until Creative gets their stupid drivers updated for Win10, which said on their site may be in October. :banghead:

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Hmm, that made me go check whether drivers were available for my Asus Essence ST. Answer is no. Then I checked for the Win8.1 driver. There's one download, a beta driver from April 2014. So Asus are just as bad, if not worse than Creative in that regard. That said, I don't even know if the Z170 board I'll eventually be going for will even have a PCI slot, so it might be a moot point. Every chance I'll just use the DAC in my Topping VX1 amp I think, though I haven't tested it yet.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Edge is OK, actually, but I'm sticking with Opera.

I used Opera for so long, but when they switched to being a Chrome clone, I had to make the switch to Firefox. oldOpera was just falling apart on most websites after so many years. ;(

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I'm not going to upgrade until Creative gets their stupid drivers updated for Win10, which said on their site may be in October. :banghead:

I've been running Windows 10 for a couple of weeks (got it from the insider program) and use the old win8 drivers for my creative soundcard. Works like a charm.

Afaik the architecture in Windows 10 isn't different enough, so pretty much everything working for Windows 8 should work with 10 as well.

And if you are too lazy for that, there's an app.

And if you install that app, it actually installs malware, apparently.

https://www.reddit.com/r/privacy/comments/3fvfvd/donotspy10_new_app_makes_it_easier_for_windows_10/

To quote an article:

One idiotic blog even recommended installing an adware program to disable Windows 10's data grab. How are IT managers going to feel once users start acting on advice like that?

Think I will buy another Hard drive, install Windows 8.1 then install Windows 10 and make this drive solely for gaming. Even after going through all the steps. 

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

wow windows 10 is THE data miner

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I just upgraded yesterday and it's too much work already. I have already sent more than fifty suggestions about things to fix and so on. Lots of simple stuff, flaws, bugs and mistakes. I really get the feeling that it must be an early sketchy draft just off the table they sent me. I can't believe anyone actually spent more than five minutes crapping up graphics for a quick preview and botched the rest. This release is like an early alpha or beta-release of a small game from an indie developer, that just barely managed to fund the development on a Kickstarter that only had their moms and grannies donate.. What the hell happened?!

• Like 1

(Signatures: disabled) 

Not 100% sure, but I think Windows 8 happened and Microsoft is bleeding money ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Sooo. how about that indication that winX is going to automatically version check your software, update, and 'disable' anything pirated. So far perhaps only Microsoft lelated stuff, but long term I think built in digital distribution and DRM is an obvious goal. Beating STEAM at their own game. What's it going to do to their install base though. 

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/windows-10-can-find-and-disable-pirated-games/1100-6429805/

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I doubt it's of serious concern, if only for the fact that even if Windows 10 actually does do that, software crackers will likely crack Windows 10 into letting them crack other software...and if cracked versions of Windows 10 work and/or treat the user better than non-cracked versions of Windows, less people will likely be buying legit copies of Windows. Though I don't pirate hardly anything these days, I still find that sort of nonsense to be rather detestable: my OS should be my operating system, not my self-policing and moral-guidance system. ;)

That, or it'll be easily worked around in another way. :p

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Sooo. how about that indication that winX is going to automatically version check your software, update, and 'disable' anything pirated. So far perhaps only Microsoft lelated stuff, but long term I think built in digital distribution and DRM is an obvious goal. Beating STEAM at their own game. What's it going to do to their install base though. 

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/windows-10-can-find-and-disable-pirated-games/1100-6429805/

That is most likely for windows store games and such.

Well, yes, but Microsoft are well placed to have access to your system files for obvious reasons. So, if you don't want a DRMified Windows you will be limited to a hacked version, less secure and not updated. 

Could happen. 

Why would it not be updated or less secure?

Edited by Sarex

Because windows wouldn't allow updates to pirated versions. That has certainly been possible to get around in the past, but it all depends on how much effort Microsoft is going to put into it.

You could Imagine Microsoft offering a digital distribution and DRM service that would not allow you to install software on anything less than a kosher and updated windows installation. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Given at least a few months, no version of Windows thus far has been able to identify genuine versions of Windows vs. non-genuine versions of Windows when the latter is properly set up. I can't imagine that changing any time soon, really, but we'll see.

• Like 1

Because windows wouldn't allow updates to pirated versions. That has certainly been possible to get around in the past, but it all depends on how much effort Microsoft is going to put into it.

You could Imagine Microsoft offering a digital distribution and DRM service that would not allow you to install software on anything less than a kosher and updated windows installation. 

probably none at all. so far all the effort to this regard was simplistic at best. they put it there mostly as a "we dont condone piracy" statement and not as real piracy countermeasure.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Here is some stuff that I think would interest the people here. Namely it shows how to remove(uninstall) everything from Cortana to Windows Store and everything tied to it.

http://superuser.com/questions/949569/can-i-completely-disable-cortana-on-windows-10/949641#949641

http://superuser.com/questions/942418/how-do-you-forcefully-remove-apps-in-windows-10/942419#942419

https://thomas.vanhoutte.be/miniblog/delete-windows-10-apps/

Edited by Sarex

• 2 weeks later...

How long does this take ... it's been almost two hours of logo only.

Also, first post from phone, weird, small, I don't love it. It's like textng but clusmier.

Treble clef edit: now three hours ... not sure what I did wrong, I mean I had a BBQ BK sandwhich again today, crispy chcken with bacon, but now instead of meat sweats, I'm suffering New OS Download Anxiety jitters ... closely related. Also the stove top bame back to life, thanks for assking. Yeah mobile poasting ... boo

quadruple axel edit: four hours and the same black splash screen with logo, no HD activity light, no love, just the blinking Home button on the 360 controller. Not even Brian Boitano and his dulcet tones could make me think this is supposed to happen. At least Colbert turned out well, Scarlett on tonight.

Hard reboot. Reset ignored, power button ignored. Press and hold, finally. Update Failed. Great job, thanks. 

Edited by ManifestedISO

All Stop. On Screen.