Installed Windows 10

Bokishi

Win 8.1 is fine, actually better than Win 7, it uses less resources, runs and boots faster. The Metro Start screen is functionally better than the start menu, I rarely use either anyway. Everything else is identical to Win 7, apart from Task Manager, which is improved. Apart from using the Start screen to load rarely used applications (it has 2 screens that I have setup as a 2D taskbar launcher and an organised wall of application icons), I never use Metro for anything else, literally, I avoid it entirely which is something you couldn't do in Win 8 (thus I never used it on my PCs).

most stores that sell HW could set you up with a OEM installation... and it's often for free for regular customers, at least in my country.

Most certainly will not be free in the US, but the installation process for the OEM is no different to retail versions anyway. The box will be a bit less fancy (last I bought one it was in a typical DVD case with a plain white slipcover) but the purchasing experience is as with any boxed software, a DVD and a product key in a box. Indeed I believe the DVD itself is identical whether it's the retail version or the OEM version (though either way I recommend downloading the latest ISO directly instead of using the DVD which may be an older version that creates more hassles with updating).

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I did see some on Amazon, but then user reviews were claiming when received, the keys didn't work/it wasn't legal. Hence..."iffy" to go that route since you don't know who is really trustworthy on something like Amazon.

OEM Win7 Pro is what I'm using now, hence my question. :lol: ... I should have bought a few copies a bit later or something, but I didn't.

Win 8.1 is fine

Sorry, I hate it.

I just have to hope Win10/whatever is at least slightly more tolerable to my picky self.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Sorry, I hate it.

I just have to hope Win10/whatever is at least slightly more tolerable to my picky self.

Just install start8, disable every ****ing thing that leads you to metro and it's great.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Metro is not the only reason I dislike it. If you/others like 8, that's great. I just don't. And yes I've tried it...on hubby's pc's and my recent laptop.

P.S. - I'm still not a huge fan of Win7, either. Haha.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yeah...it's just a curse of my super-finickiness. :lol:

One day I may have the energy to actually move to Linux. One day.

Yeah...it's just a curse of my super-finickiness. :lol:

One day I may have the energy to actually move to Linux. One day.

I tell that to my self every week... Only I want to learn to work in Linux and not really migrate.

If you have the extra RAM, then installing Linux on the free VMware Player is a good way to try it out under Windows. Gone are the days of being restricted to one OS thanks to virtualized machines

I have Ubuntu & OSX Yosemite installed on VMware. They're fun to mess with, and run really smooth almost like it's natively installed (well Yosemite required some extra hacks to get running okay, and some functions like iMessage don't work because it's not detecting legit mac hardware)

untitled-17ruta.jpg

screenshotfrom2015-016gu1u.jpg

screenshot2015-01-11aq9ugc.jpg

Edited by Bokishi
  • Like 1

most stores that sell HW could set you up with a OEM installation... and it's often for free for regular customers, at least in my country.

Most certainly will not be free in the US, but the installation process for the OEM is no different to retail versions anyway. The box will be a bit less fancy (last I bought one it was in a typical DVD case with a plain white slipcover) but the purchasing experience is as with any boxed software, a DVD and a product key in a box. Indeed I believe the DVD itself is identical whether it's the retail version or the OEM version (though either way I recommend downloading the latest ISO directly instead of using the DVD which may be an older version that creates more hassles with updating).

many stores have a special licence that allows them to install windows as OEM on any pc from the same disk. if you right click on "my computer" and select properties, you may see the store's logo next to the windows version info

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for one year to those already using Windows 7 or 8.1.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Windows 7, really? So I could upgrade my old win7 OEM for free and there is no catch?

I think that MS want more lessen number of users of old Windows versions so that they don't replicate XP syndrome again and same time they get larger customer base for their new software platform and shop and also lessen how much effort they need to put in to support those old versions. As anyway they get most of their money from OS sold with new machines, so I would guess that it is better for them if they can get large part of current computers to move their newest OS withing year instead of needing to wait multiple years like with previous Windows versions, especially when they try marketing this time how all windows devices work together.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Seems windows 10 is not activating/converting old keys when upgrading, as far as I heard Microsoft reps said it will be resolved withing 2 days. I guess I'll have to wait before doing a clean install.

I'm waiting for a real installer that I can use on any computer, formatted with W7/8 or not, before I bother... :p

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Holy moly, so either I get Windows Home for free, or I pay $200 for Professional. What silly pricing options.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Holy moly, so either I get Windows Home for free, or I pay $200 for Professional. What silly pricing options.

I'm either gonna grab the Education version (Enterprise with some additions) or just grab the Pro version once I get back in to University. I don't like this crap being tied to my hardware and even that is not working right at the moment.