[Bug] Load Game doesn't work for me

Bester

Question

I can start a new game just fine. I can also save it.

However, when I try to load a saved game, the game goes to the black screen and that's it. Black screen forever.

I have tried:

- Reinstalling the game to a completely different folder

- Running steam's integrity check multiple times

- Reinstalling vcredist (both x64 and x86)

- Rebooting the PC (lol)

So now it seems like I won't be able to play the game when it gets released either. So is this it for me?

IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

11 answers to this question

Actually no, not fixed. I assumed that it was fixed because I managed to load a game ONCE. The only way I managed to do that was to start a new game and then load a different save game. It worked once. Then I tried it a couple more times and after like 5 more attempts it worked again just once.

Sigh.

IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

The only thing that comes to mind is if you are trying to load pre-patch saves. That is a known issue. We have changed the Save File location, but I'm not sure if that would affect anything. If you could send me the save file, I could put an issue in our database for you, and see if our group of geniusi could think of a fix. 

Just got this issue as well with my first attempt to load a quick save.  I've loaded probably a dozen regular saves, but the first attempt at loading the quick save results in the black screen of doom.

This required a force quit.  I tried loading the quick save again and got the black screen.

Another force quit.  I loaded the prior (regular) save to make sure it wasn't broken entirely and that worked.  One last try at the quick save and it loaded...really odd.