Rant on Dark Souls

Qistina

I am sorry if there's already topic about this, but i want to rant about this game

First, i like this game, i like the concept, the graphic, the models, the combat movement, the story and lores and so much more.

But...i find out that there is no point of playing this game because enemies will respawn when we rest at the bonfires or when we return to previous locations. So what is the point of killing them? It totlly destroy the feeling of achievement "i have cleared this location, now move on". The enemies will respawn in the same way, at the same location, doing the same thing...everything as the same as before we meet them and kill them. Only certain enemies gone for good, but that's all, we will still have to face the very same enemies we killed before.

I know the purpose of them respawning is to farm, but that is the only purpose isn't it? Farming is boring.

The game is hard, not because of the difficulties, but because of the developer CHEAT.

i. Our character is gimped, finding new weapons or upgrading have no meaning at all, level ups also have no meaning. So what is the purpose of leveling up? From original level to level 20 still don't feel any different

ii. Enemy arrows follow us around, i have tested this. yes arrow are slow and can be avoided but it is annoying and unrealistic, it's a cheat.

iii. Most enemies are weird monsters i never meet, so they doing surprises that i never thought off or expecting because i never know that kind of a monster.

iv. Enemies deal a lot of damage, if bosses they nuke always, and some enemy attacks can't be blocked or evade. They have very large area of effect

v. Bosses have 10 million health points and 10 millions armor rating, and they mostly are giant monsters

vi. Archery is only good to shoot enemies by exploit and shoot them forever until they dead because of low damage.

vii. Enemies deal poison and bleed even when we block their attack with a shield

viii. Path is too narrow to fight, mostly i die falling than really got killed by enemy. Some places deal poison in all areas and it's mud area that slow us down

ix. lock system is annoying, we are locked on one target, sometimes locking far away enemy while next to us is attacking and we can't act swiftly  because being locked with the other enemy

x. Magic need to be recharged at bonfires, so means we are all eventually become battlemages or warrior-mage for using weapons and armor because magic will run out before we can recharge. If we recharge our magic, enemies will live again...so what is the point????

I think that's all for now...maybe add some things later

• Like 1

Guest Slinky

Look, people can rant about games all they want, hell I like to do that myself from time to time, but could we not fill the main page with these please?

Feel free to make a single ranting about games topic for all your ranting needs.

Look, people can rant about games all they want, hell I like to do that myself from time to time, but could we not fill the main page with these please?

Feel free to make a single ranting about games topic for all your ranting needs.

I think selected rants about very popular games makes sense, if no one wants to support the thread then they just mustn't post and it will die a natural death

Dark Souls is definitely a good " rant "  game because it is controversial

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Guest Slinky

I think selected rants about very popular games makes sense, if no one wants to support the thread then they just mustn't post and it will die a natural death

Just as well we could start making a single topics for every single news, sales and the games we play. If you didn't notice I didn't call for complete stop for these "rants", I asked to keep the forum clean from spam.

Anyone else feels like the quality of this forum has taken a bit of a dip resently? Because I do.

Edited by Slinky

I dunno. I only tried the PC version and found it completely unplayable. One of the worst ports I ever had the misfortune to waste time on. That said, from the gameplay videos around (console version), it looks like it's a "grinding" game, and progression in the game itself is supposed to be achieved through player skill improvement rather than through character progression (skills/gear/etc).

So yeah, you have to try over and over again until you manage to land that "perfect fight" that allows you to get to the next bonfire. Not my cup of tea on console, a piece of crud on pc. Also, horribly low resolution textures.

• Like 2

I’m selling these fine leather jackets.

Just as well we could start making a single topics for every single news, sales and the games we play. If you didn't notice I didn't call for complete stop for these "rants", I asked to keep the forum clean from spam.

Anyone else feels like the quality of this forum has taken a bit of a dip resently? Because I do.

For me there have been a few  threads that have been negatively impacting the overall quality of the forums, number one on my list is the Patriarchy thread :)

But end of the day it becomes subjective around what is considered quality posts. I still believe people should post something they consider interesting if they don't like what others are posting and more importantly just not post in a thread that they think is silly and banal,  which is exactly why I don't post in the Patriarchy thread

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The point is that you have to make it from the bonfire to the boss (or the next bonfire) without resting. The enemies are part of that system, providing resource sinks and a penalty for failure. That penalty being you have to go through the enemies again.

It's not until you're able to get through the enemies without using up a bunch of resources or you're comfortable tackling a boss while weak that you're ready to tackle the boss. Sometimes you choose one, sometimes you choose the other.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Yes i forgot that there is no save, not even pause...don't know what the dev is thinking...maybe the players play 24/7 never stop

You can save anywhere and anytime you want, you just have to quit the game to do so. The problem is that there's only one save file per character, and it's overwritten all the time outside the player's control.

And the cause for that is the same as why there's no pause option: online mode. Which makes Dark Souls a good example of a dual offline/online game where the offline mode is made a worse experience by the requirements of the online mode.

Magic uses  the Vancian system, which is a good way to limit what are increasingly overpowered spells. For the most part it scales well and you have very little trouble wiping areas with basic spells.

Archery has good critical damage.

I like that enemies respawn, that adds to the challenge but I understand that sometimes becomes a grindfest when you're engaged on a difficult BossFigth. Although DS is a lot more forgiving with the distance between bonfire to bonfire and bonfire to boss than its predecessor and successor.

I think that the DS mechanics are due for a re working.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I lost my **** at

iii. Most enemies are weird monsters i never meet, so they doing surprises that i never thought off or expecting because i never know that kind of a monster.

I want to know how you dealt with the trauma of Portal's Portal mechanics, considering they are weird doors you never meet, so they doing surprises you never thought off or expecting because you never know that kind of a door.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 1

Although DS is a lot more forgiving with the distance between bonfire to bonfire and bonfire to boss than its predecessor and successor.

Blast that stinking dragon temple or whatever it is in DS2.

I wiped so many times on the boss that the enemies stopped respawning.

Although DS is a lot more forgiving with the distance between bonfire to bonfire and bonfire to boss than its predecessor and successor.

I get the sense that mechanic was a added at the last minute to make up for improper design. DS2 was poorly thought out.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

I get the sense that mechanic was a added at the last minute to make up for improper design. DS2 was poorly thought out.

It's an anti-grind measure, more or less.

It's as well thought out a game as any other RPG of the last two decades.

I lost my **** at

I want to know how you dealt with the trauma of Portal's Portal mechanics, considering they are weird doors you never meet, so they doing surprises you never thought off or expecting because you never know that kind of a door.

How do i know the frog-like monster will curse me when they blow up? And that curse half my health until i find a cure...and i am deep under sewer crawling with monsters have no idea how to or going where to end the curse......

(oh, i know already of course)

Edited by Qistina

Magic uses  the Vancian system, which is a good way to limit what are increasingly overpowered spells. For the most part it scales well and you have very little trouble wiping areas with basic spells.

I don't agree...the system is actually BAD

i. you play as a mage you expect to be a spell caster, then you find out that you have only limited charges

ii. you don't know where or who sell spells, don't know how to find spells, there are no one selling spell when you first arrived at Firelink shrine

iii. well, you may going down and meet the smith, but will you get any idea he's down there the first time you play?

iv. a sorcerer that sell spells are trapped somewhere and you have no idea about it/him for the first time

Meaning, you don't get any new spells for maybe days playing and going through all the enemies until you know the location of that two person...

Even you buy spells, you can only recharge it at bonfires, when you do that, enemies live again...so there is no point of killing them in the first place with your magic....you drain your magic charges, then charge it up only to make the enemey you killed earlier live again

Even you buy spells, you can only recharge it at bonfires, when you do that, enemies live again...so there is no point of killing them in the first place with your magic....you drain your magic charges, then charge it up only to make the enemey you killed earlier live again

That's the price you pay for having magic be actually usable for boss-fights.

You can't expect a strong ranged attack without a drawback.

Kiting is just way too easy.

That's the price you pay for having magic be actually usable for boss-fights.

You can't expect a strong ranged attack without a drawback.

Kiting is just way too easy.

Agree with this post, but Cristina makes a good point (although is not about the magic system) that spells are spaced too far apart at the beginning. But the beginning of DS is difficult for all classes and then it gets better. Except for DPS Dual wielding Dex fighter, being DPS is always suffering.

village_idiot.gif

It never seems like a good idea to try and be "pure" mage in souls games. Get up some stats for weapons until you get those new spells. I played sorcerer through DS1, but used my Baldur Side Sword for most trash until I got enough spells I could afford to waste 'em.

I lost my **** at

How do i know the frog-like monster will curse me when they blow up? And that curse half my health until i find a cure...and i am deep under sewer crawling with monsters have no idea how to or going where to end the curse......

(oh, i know already of course)

The same way you learn that goombas in Mario kill you when you run into them head-on.

I actually still want to know how you suffered the insufferable cruelty of Portal.