Sensuki's Suggestions #023: Revamped Character Creation [Mockups]

Sensuki

Building on my last suggestion I've had a go at revamping character creation so that the derived stats are shown in the character creation screen. There is a way of handling this properly and it requires splitting Culture and Background and moving Culture selection to before Attributes.

The reason for this is that the character has then chosen their gear before selecting attributes, and the derived stats that require gear such as Accuracy, Damage, Deflection and whatnot can be shown using the items the character is equipped with.

STAGE 1:

You can see that there are now four tabs on either side of the attributes

54TcHB4.jpg

STAGE 2:

wMPcyJD.jpg

STAGE 3:

TTqQAnS.jpg

STAGE 4:

znwM0Xq.jpg

STAGE 5:

BgovoTK.jpg

STAGE 6:

This extra menu should probably always be there, but anyway. Here is a box that shows the derived stats including armor (from the Culture armor) and Accuracy, Damage, Speed and Interrupt from the Weapon. As the player modifies their attributes, these values will change giving them a better representation of what their attributes do.

For things like Durations and AoEs, they should be displayed when mousing over an ability. That information would be a bit harder to find, but it should be there anyway. People will figure it out.

All of the derived stats should be shown like they are (or should be) in the inventory, with a mouseover tooltip or something.

pEFAMpK.jpg

STAGE 7:

In order to keep the tab symmetry I had to split some things on the right

VdkTCzE.jpg

STAGE 8:

WSc8DWB.jpg

STAGE 9:

ADWP520.jpg

STAGE 10:

FcUQ64I.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Previous Suggestions:

Show Derived Stats during CC

Talents and Feats

Inventory Mockup v2

Desynchronized Character Movement

Version Review v278 bb

Cultural Gear Selection

Navmesh for AoE Targeting

Animations & Model Collision

Inventory Mockup

Dyrford Crossing Area Design

Main HUD Mockup

Beta Version Review v257 bb

Fog of War

Inventory & Item Tooltips

Combat Feedback Comparison 

Re-wrote CC Class Ability Descriptions

Item Descriptions and Contextual UI Rant

Area Map Functions 

Main UI Tooltip Stuff 

Selection Circles and Targeting 

Vertical Sync

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 15

Cool stuff.

I think however the extra window with all the numbers should come up during the very Class selection though. That way you can see how much each class difers.

Im rather curious wether its low enough that Aumaua´s model or a Godlike with Aumaua body and very big horns gets blocked. They are pretty tall after all.

After character creation you can at any point right click an ability and see a detailed description popup. The same should happen in character creation.

I can see why Obsidian wanted to have Culture + Background after character selection, it is a more seamless way to make the backstory of your character. However they gave Cultures atribute bonuses so they probably should be before you do the heavy attribute fidling.

Edited by Fiebras

Cool stuff.

I think however the extra menu with all the numbers should come up during the class selection though. That way you can see how much each class difers.

After character creation you can at any point right click an ability and see a detailed description popup. The same should happen in character creation.

Yeah as I said, it probably should always be there.

I personally think that NWN2 did an a-mazing job at UI for both character creation and spell casting. It seems they dropped the latter for PoE. What a shame...

• Like 2

"The essence of balance is detachment. To embrace a cause, to grow fond or spiteful, is to lose one's balance, after which, no action can be trusted. Our burden is not for the dependent of spirit."

This looks spot on. Well done! It fixes pretty much every problem I had with character creation.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Sensuki: I really like your char creation screen improvs! :thumbsup:

Captain Shrek: I am one of the very few fans on these forums when it comes to the NWN2 UI. I love most of it, and especially char creation and the simple and flexible spell-casting UI system. :)

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

The current character creation tab layout is perfectible but good enough for me as long as they remove the Aedyr +1 resolve bonus bug. I don't feel any particular urge to change this layout.

Sensuki's layout gets the job done too though, so I have no particular preference or expectation.

The derived stats panel is an idea to explore yeah. I could feel overwhelmed by it at the beginning I guess.

Much, much better, but it's still missing feedback on really important derived stats like the Might bonus. IMO either all the derived stats should be shown or none.

EDIT: That said, displaying the damage ranges does help with that a bit. I think I can get behind this idea, actually. I vote yes.

Also, great job on splitting the tabs to maintain symmetry. Regardless of anything else, having those 8 tabs in that order with the attributes in the middle is an unequivocal improvement and should absolutely be implemented even if they don't do the other stuff.

Edited by Matt516

No it's not, the Might bonus would be applied to the weapon damage.

The Might Healing bonus would be applied to any abilities/spells that have healing.

I just copy pasted Hormalakh's icons.

Edited by Sensuki

Portrait should come before appearance imo because it's easier to adjust appearance on the basis of a portrait than the other way around. Other than that this is looking good.

Edit: Sorry Lychnidos, didn't notice your post until after.

Edited by Moirnelithe