Suggestion for Lore in combat

aeonsim

I note that apart from filling out the creature details during combat, lore doesn't do much in combat.

As such maybe it could be used to provide information about what actions or buffs enemies are preforming or have active?

In the combat log it could be something as simple as:

Enemy Wizard begins casting Fireball, or Enemy Barbarian enters frenzy.

While with mouse over it could also allow one to see what buffs and debuffs were in effect on an enemy and there effect size.

As your lore increases the number of buffs/debuffs or the level of them could increase.

This could be rather useful in combat as it would allow you to easily identify what is about to happen with spells, thus allowing a possible counter with an interrupt spell or ability. While showing which buffs and debuff's were affecting the enemies and there effect would allow you to optimise your spell and abilities use by the targets status.

• Like 1

To take Divinity: Original Sin as an example: Lore allowed you to see resistances, health information and all the other good studd. However you had to have the apropiate party member selected for this which was an inmense drag as that was impossible in my experience unless it was their turn. Meanwhile every other party member could only see question marks. Fortunately (or unfortunatly) Divinity:Original Sin´s combats were easy enough that you didnt really need this information.

In Pillars of Eternity could just make it let you do +x% or +0.x% damage to enemies whose Cyclopedia you have completed were x is your character´s Lore skill. Or you can have filling Cyclopedia entries give you XP.

Heres the thing: I dont think its necesary Lore should be made to be useful in combat. Like, at all. You may disagree.

You can however make it useful in other aread beyond the cyclopedia stuff. In Divinity:Original Sin, and IE games it was used to identify items. Im not sure if Pillars of Eternity will have unidentified magic items. I remember them saying something about it a while back but I cant remember what was said.

I hope magic items that require identification are in the game as that would make Lore a very useful skill.

Edited by Fiebras
  • Like 1