Trading Light Side powers for Dark Side

Well, crap. I was looking for the D20 Dark Side Sourebook to back up what I was gonna say, but I can't find it. Ah well.

Regardless, in the D20 game, if I remember correctly, when one becomes a Dark Side character or takes on a Sith prestige class, one is allowed to convert Light Side powers into Dark Side powers at a one-to-one ratio. This is to show the 'lure' of the Dark Side; after all, if you've been staunchly Light Side, what's so tempting about the idea of having all those Light Side powers you've accumulated become more expensive to use?

I'm really hoping they do something similiar for TSL. One of my favorite games of KOTOR was when I played the whole game as a boyscout, 100% Light Side, fell in love with Bastila, and then turned to the Dark Side on the Temple from the fear of losing her. Alas, I spent the whole Star Forge having to Force Wave everything because my Light Side powers were much, much more expensive to use and I had no Dark Side powers (didn't see the use in buying any only to use them for the very last portion of the game.) The fall from grace would have been far more poignant if I hadn't felt like I just crippled myself rather than opened myself up to the POWER of the Dark Side and all that.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

I thought it was convert Light side "levels" for darkside levels.... I might be remembering wrong.

No, I think you're remembering right. That's why I wish I had the actual book in front of me. :o

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

I hope there is exclusive pure dark/light side force powers.

Yep, and having them be completely different would be nice, as well. I understand that the Light/Dark powers were so close in the original due to balance, but come on... give us some variety! :unsure:

What I want to know is how come my light-side counselor, who never said a mean thing in her life, can force choke and zap everyone with force lightning?

After you reach a certain level of LS or DS can the higher level LS and DS powers be restricted?

You don't see Vader healing anybody, nor do you see Yoda choking the life out of Dooku, though he probably could. In KotOR you could use any of the force powers know matter what your LS or DS level was, this seems to go against canon if you ask me.

TripleRRR

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.

I never take LS powers if I'm playing a DS character, and vice versa. However, the current system isn't much of a restriction. FP are so abundant that it's never a problem to use any power. I don't expect a Sith to use heal, nor would I expect a pure and noble Jedi to use lightning.

I agree, but will Obsidian add restrictions to the game, meaning that a high LS jedi will not be able to use strong DS powers and vice versa, or will they use the old system?

TripleRRR

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.

I agree, but will Obsidian add restrictions to the game, meaning that a high LS jedi will not be able to use strong DS powers and vice versa, or will they use the old system?

No idea, but I certainly hope they include restrictions like that, or at least make opposing powers far more expensive to use, in terms of FP.