The last physical game you ever bought

Bryy

I think my last physical purchase was an Orange Box from Valve, like, 6 years ago?

I embraced the digital age, I always hated boxes, they took up so much space. I spent 6 long years of my life as tenant, sometimes forced to move twice per year, and game boxes were too much of a burden.

Another burden is that replacing damaged CDs isn't always possible. My original StarCraft CD got damaged due to heavy usage, and by that time, the company that sold it to me went out of business with no legal successor, and I had to buy a new one. With digital, even if a license-selling company goes out of business, you can count on a new one taking over the customer base (that's value worth paying for), and providing the downloads.

Last year I moved, and the books were enough trouble to move. I put all of the game boxes I had in the hall of the building where I lived, free for the taking. Some of the boxes were useless, like the Orange Box or my Guild Wars boxes, because the key inside was already used by me, and the game is unplayable without a key. That was a bit of trolling on my part. :)

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Fallout New Vegas.

I bought it in Germany initially, then re-bought it while in the US both to try and get the english uncensored version and to support a fantastic game.

• Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Well the CD spin-up, post 90s anyway, was generally only the copy protection doing its disc check anyway. And that could be, *ahem*, creatively avoided. The last widespread use of from-the-disc asset use was probably the red book audio track for the game music, which died off in preference to low-bitrate MP3s.

Oh sure, use tech logic to negate my perceived benefit of digital games. ;)

Altho yeah, I think the BL1 disc doesn't spin that much, but once in a while. I've had some from the 2000's tho that spun on loading screens and certain other stuff (maybe audio loops? I dunno) semi-frequently, tho, and it was always annoying. Whether it was actually doing anything much I don't know, it just was loud. CD tray quiet, then spinup for 5-8 seconds, then quiet a while, then suddenly spinup. Blargh.

Fallout New Vegas.

The was the one in the US that got me to finally start using Steam again (I hated the super-early versions of Steam) since it required Steam to run/start. Didn't see the point in a disc then, for myself.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

For those with limited download quotas, the install discs can save a few gigabytes of downloading, so that's one thing I guess. Can be the difference between downloading 5-10GB for the whole game, versus ~1GB for the launch-day update to the disc files.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Either DA:O or SWTOR collector's edition (for the Darth Malgus statue)

I recall hearing, I think it was here, that someone popped in the game disc and then Steam proceeded to download the entire thing from the net

6535633977_b53d316a8c_z.jpg

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

GTA 5 on the 360. All my game buys in next gen have been all digital. I've been all digital on PC since 2009

Really?  I'm always leery of that with the consoles because they seem to have a bit of an issue of users not being able to download stuff associated with their account.  I know I had an issue with DLC associated with DA:O when I bought a new XBox360 and had to download/transfer my Live account over to the new console.

Other than DLC, I buy the physical copy of games for my consoles.

-----

So having said that, obviously DA:I is my latest physical copy of a game I've bought.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I haven't bought a physical PC game in about 7-8 years - ever since Steam got...uh...steam and started getting everyone to publish there.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Wasteland 2 was at my doorstep when I got home just now, so that's my official answer as of now. The second last physical game I got ...is also Wasteland 2 because I'm in the tier that gives me both the CE and the regular boxed copies. :p (Third last would be Super Smash Bros for Wii U)

For a while there I was worried it'd arrive while I was away for three weeks over the holidays, so I'm pretty happy to see it arrive this week. For what it's worth, I got the shipping notification email on the 4th, so that's a pretty standard delivery turnaround to Australia.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G