Game Attributes - A Science Project

Anaeme

Do those intelligent people play FPSes regularly? Do keep in mind that the claim is that under otherwise equal circumstances, the more intelligent person will, on average, perform better.

Yep, they do.

And nothing you said about that bricklayer indicates that he lacks intelligence. There're quite a few very intelligent people who are also dyslexic.

KB isn't the brightest person in the world, can't even use a computer properly. He can play games though

I'm not really interested in the simulationist discussion about attributes anyway, that ship sailed a long time ago for PE.

• Like 1

I do have the same feeling. Attributes have simply too weak effect. Character with might at 18 does not ilflict much more damage as a character with might 10. I've imagined that might 10 = typical farmer and might 18 or 19 = strongman, big old smith that could knock out a typical farmer with just one punch in a tavern brawl.

Right now, in PoE BB 301 strongman should have might around 30 to be able to compete with a farmer.

Perception work similar. Hero with eagle's eye is only a little better in archery than nearly blind one.

I would double or even triple the effects of all attributes.

*shrug*... If you look at martial arts, it seems like the intelligent people are the ones creating their own entire style and building a school around it. And/or the people who are mastering moves/stances and even improving upon them before everyone else.

So, in a way, it does seem like it at least factors in. It's not like raw intelligence has to either make you a better fighter no matter what, or never make you a better fighter. I think, like everything else in the world, it can matter a lot in some instances, and not-at-all in others.

However, in a cRPG stat system, a stat abstractly provides a mathematical, definite modifier to some factor. Because that's the only way we have to do it, at the moment. I mean, I guess you could make it a conditional thing, based on a talent or a skill or something. "IF this, then apply Intellect for a bonus." But, to say Intelligence has nothing to do with fighting is far from accurate, methinks.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Being intelligent doesn't make you a better swordsman or help you dodge.  Maybe it helps you use your environment to your advantage, maybe it helps you trick your opponent into doing something stupid.  Neither of those things is "deflection" however.

So you're saying that it doesn't help, but it might help you do that exact thing by way of better using the enviroment and feinting?

Make up your mind.

And that is deflection. Deflection is the sum of your ability to avoid getting hit(in a damaging way). The word might not be perfect, but i don't think there really is a single word that accurately describes the concept.

No.  The smart thing to do would be avoid a fight all together, but is running away and hiding in your inn room deflection?  Using your environment could be kicking sand in a guys face, that doesn't take a ton of brains and it certainly isn't deflection.  Making them make a mistake... like making lewd comments about a guys sister in the middle of the fight cause you know he is an over protective big brother?  Again, doesn't take a genius, and getting them to be pissed off then throw a wild punch that is easy to dodge isn't deflection.

Deflection is blocking an attack, or possibly dodging an attack.  While pissing a dude off so he throws a bad punch at you makes it easier to dodge... if you have two left feet and are clumsy you are still likely to either get hit or fall on your butt and get creamed anyway.  "Intellect" is real helpful when planning a fight or a battle... it is of very limited use once one actually starts.  No amount of brains will help you block a sword thrust once a guy is on you in melee and actually in the act of attacking, you either have the skill and training to parry it or dodge it..... or you get stabbed.

I know its not super intuitive, but I think its fine. Its not great, but I think it works. Like Azrael and a few other people said, if theres 2 master swordsmen, each with equal ability and skill. And lets say they have exactly the same stats except Swordsman A has 18 Intellect and Swordsman B has 5 Intellect (So really smart vs really dumb). Who do you think would win? It would probably be pretty evenly matched at first, but eventually the smart guy would think of something to give him and edge in combat. And why ISNT kicking sand at your opponent deflection or intellect? Because when you think of deflection you think of actually deflecting an attack? This isnt a simulator - not everything will be super realistic or have each and every possibility named. They just kinda lumped all that stuff into deflection. Just think of it as tactical thinking or something like that. Its not necessarily "O Im good at reading books and Im brilliant and stuff" its NOT intelligence from DnD. Its similar, but in PoEt its supposed to be logic and reasoning, not memorization and braininess. 

Just my opinion. If my wording came off a little strong, I apologize, it wasnt intended to be aggressive.