Is Obsidian trying to rush this game?

ctn2003

Wasteland 2 release is Wasteland 2 beta :)

Do you see a pattern?

That's just a facet of PC game development. It's not that games used to be be released when they were finished, but rather that developers were either unable or not allowed to patch in additional content and fixes. You'll notice that the RPG-of-the-year, Divinity: Original Sin, also launched without several important features that were patched in over the following months.

There's a reason why there are "restored content" mods for classic games like Baldur's Gate or KOTOR.

And let me tell you a little secret any game developer or writer knows very intimately: nothing is EVER finished.

• Like 2

^ It's a good point. Managing six low-medium maintenance characters in an IE game can be surprisingly micro-intensive. Timing attacks, abilities, spells, buffs, potions etc.

One of my initial problems with PoE is what I'll call Ability Shock. Five characters, all of whom appear to have the same level of powaz as a medium level IE game spellcaster. It can be a handful to manage, not least with speed of combat, dog-piling etc.

I'd like one or two low maintenance classes at least, personally. A nice selection of low-maintenance modal, and lots of passives can still allow you to customise that character.

Well, you're also starting at level 5 with 5 characters in the beta. It might be easier with a learning curve, both in terms of level (complexity) and number of characters.

Not really. Many people popped their CRPG cherry with BG2, where you start in Château Irenicus with a party of five-six level seven adventurers. If you had a couple of fighters then it was pretty manageable.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

^ It's a good point. Managing six low-medium maintenance characters in an IE game can be surprisingly micro-intensive. Timing attacks, abilities, spells, buffs, potions etc.

One of my initial problems with PoE is what I'll call Ability Shock. Five characters, all of whom appear to have the same level of powaz as a medium level IE game spellcaster. It can be a handful to manage, not least with speed of combat, dog-piling etc.

I'd like one or two low maintenance classes at least, personally. A nice selection of low-maintenance modal, and lots of passives can still allow you to customise that character.

Well, you're also starting at level 5 with 5 characters in the beta. It might be easier with a learning curve, both in terms of level (complexity) and number of characters.

Not really. Many people popped their CRPG cherry with BG2, where you start in Château Irenicus with a party of five-six level seven adventurers. If you had a couple of fighters then it was pretty manageable.

That was back when people read the 1 inch thick player manual before playing a game.

• Like 3

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

That was back when people read the 1 inch thick player manual before playing a game.

Like hell. BG2 was my first RPG, and I've since played all the greats, and have only ever read the lore bits in the manuals.

• Like 1

I never read the manual either. While BG2 wasn't my first RPG; it was my first crpg. In BG2 the attribute system and UI were both very user friendly. So far it looks like poe will be neither.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I never read the manual either. While BG2 wasn't my first RPG; it was my first crpg. In BG2 the attribute system and UI were both very user friendly. So far it looks like poe will be neither.

THAC0 and Armor Class from D&D 2nd Ed are some of the least "user friendly" mechanics ever invented.  Also the BG2 UI is serviceable but hardly what I would call good.  Eternity needs some changes to it's UI but nothing too earth shattering and frankly UI tweaks should be pretty low on the totem pole and can be wrapped up quickly near the end.  Also other than Eternity's very obtuse stat system it really isn't worse off than 2nd Ed.

So while Eternity is far from perfect and needs lots of work it isn't half as bad as many of you paint it to be.

Meanwhile why is a thread about a game being rushed when we all know it was delayed even still active?  Make a new thread peoples ;p

• Like 4