Is Obsidian trying to rush this game?

ctn2003

Oh, we understand your original post and most of it is just non-factual and/or based on speculation.  Not going to touch the funding thing, not enough insight on it.  Not a fanboy of Obsidian either.  I backed it because the concept of the game is something I can get behind, and so far it hasn't disappointed me.  Yes, the core system is in there.  You can move around!  Not perfectly but that can be fixed.  Stats are not part of the core system.  The ENGINE is the core system, rest is just numbers and ideas and yes they do change.  One game that I was early in the beta, champions online, had several powers that were drastically changed/removed/added by the time the game was released.  I know there are others that I had similar experiences with but not going to be bothered trying to remember them all.  Sensuki and Matt have been critical of the game, and generally I agree with their criticisms.  Their criticisms are based on numbers and facts though, yours is based on speculation and anger.  Which actually make your posts not criticisms, but in actuality they are troll posts.

Oh, btw, you CAN save in the game, even with the F5 key... just to show you how little you know what is going on.

Nope.. You're wrong.. The engine was already made when they started.. When I say system I mean game mechanic system not technical system as in a rendering routine or AI manager.

• Like 1

From George Ziets @ http://new.spring.me/#!/user/GZiets/timeline/responses

Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat. While this does put more emphasis on solving quests, the lack of rewards for killing creatures makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game) as much as I can.

Honestly my only concern having played the Beta is that there are a decent amount of odd and difficult to explain bugs that need stomping. Assuming much of the game looks like this, then I worry for a potentially buggy release. As far as the actual content within the game though, I'm pleased.

• Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I'm no expert, but unless I've misunderstood some things I learned recently, since Obsidian is neither public nor an LLC, that information shouldn't be available to anyone outside of the company.

Feargus has said in interviews that their overhead per month is roughly 1 million dollars.. This is I believe their whole company and not specifically the PoE team which only has a fraction of the developers on it..

Our burn rate is $1 million a month, so we have to have games all the time.

But they have much higher overhead then say InXile.. Every day this game goes over budget it comes out of their pocket.. not a publisher who has much larger cushions.

I'm not saying Obsidian wastes money.. They are a large company.. not a indie team. They can't afford to dev this game for the next 2 years to make it pefect like most indie devs from kickstarter can.

Average salary for game developer in USA is $83,060 (according to 2013 survey) and Obsidian has 51-200 employees (according to LinkedIn), which means that their yearly employee salary expenses probably are somewhere between $4,236,060-$16,612,000 and with other expenses $1 million in month burn rate sound quite reasonable sum. Although this has little to do with PoE, which had long time team under ten members working on it and even now number is about 20, which all may not work with the game full-time. Which means that they haven't burned money that they got from kickstarter with very high speed. Where inXile has employees somewhere between 11-50 (according to LinkedIn), which mean that their yearly employee salary expenses are probably somewhere between $913,660-$4,153,000 with other expenses their monthly burn rate I would guess that their monthly burn rate is probably somewhere between $100k-$400k, which is any case significantly lower than what Obsidian has, but one has to take account that Obsidian has incoming money from multiple publisher funded projects, inXile currently lives only with money from their Kickstarter projects and money what they get sales of their catalog, so without knowing how much money each company has in store I would say that Obsidian is actually financially in much better place to over extend project size of PoE than what inXile is. Although currently it looks that both companies financial state is in good state.  

• Like 2

I love how someone who backed this game made a thread worried about the final level of quality and like a pack of hounds.. the 12 year old key board warriors descended on this thread to the defense of their infallible Obsidian.

I can picture the tiny little fingers chittering on small apple laptops in a Starbucks cafe somewhere.. their faces in a permanent sneer as they stare at the screen in a cold sweat.. Slamming the F5 key so they can fight off the obvious moronic hordes of trolls invading their bastion of fanboyism.

:lol:

Edited by Immortalis
  • Like 1

From George Ziets @ http://new.spring.me/#!/user/GZiets/timeline/responses

Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat. While this does put more emphasis on solving quests, the lack of rewards for killing creatures makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game) as much as I can.

I can see it.

I understand you paid a lot of money.

I did, too.

But you're going to have to do better than "because I think so" when you make some really, really huge accusations.

All in all well just have to wait and see maybe their going to delay it a bite and put  the beta on steam like wastland 2 did that whould be cool

They did put the beta on Steam.

How can someone touch the DA franchise after the 2nd installment is beyond my comprehension.

People like things other people don't.

Who knew.

Edited by Bryy
  • Like 3

From playing the last build, I cant see this game being ready by next summer, ive played Alphas in better shape I have to say, I put quite a bit of cash into the game so I don't want the to rush it at all.

I'm perfectly fine with them delaying until next year. I just have a problem when armchair developers start making wild accusations. I especially have a problem when their reasoning is "because".

• Like 4

:geek: It has become apparent that Obsidian seems to really want to rush this game out the door. little known fact, this game was  going to be released even earlier than December. But they wanted to keep it from releasing close to Dragon age 3. And the So called ""Beta"" IS acouly a alpha they just relised to make time for the December relise.   Why their rushing a "Kickstarter" Game ill never know they have all the time in the world to shape this game up the way they want.

And as for worrying when Dragon age 3 is coming out - WHO CARES!! if your game is good Ill buy it!  did tomb Raider flop because of super Mario 64? i think not! Did crash Bandacute flop because of tome raider heck no! and Crash bandacute had poor reviews when it came out.     So for the Devs of this game i just want to tell you - Do Not rush this game- your games have been nothing but buggy messses over the years and for a game that's going to be your OWN ip. just shape up the game make it good.

But we all Wish you the best of luck. :biggrin:

Dude, do you even know what a "beta" is? Pro-tip: what companies like Google and Blizzard do (like how Gmail was in beta forever and Blizzard has open betas for their games that last a long time) is *not* the norm for what a beta actually is.

An alpha is *really* raw. You do not want to be playing an alpha, I'll tell you that much. That is pretty much prototyping so that designers and programmers can iterate.

• Like 7

When in doubt and someone is giving their concerns and criticism, just claim they are a troll.

Funny, but false as you are the first one to use the word troll on this thread.

Seriously though, even if your opinion/concerns are valid, but when you start throwing the word fanboy around left and right it just weakens your argument/point.

• Like 2

Hate the living, love the dead.

Seriously though, even if your opinion/concerns are valid, but when you start throwing the word fanboy around left and right it just weakens your argument/point.

Funny but false as you obviously haven't read the first page of this thread. I wasn't the one to accuse the OP for complaining for complaining sake, calling the OP are moron and saying this is another troll thread. Also, when have I accused others of being a fanboy? You keep making that stuff up and believing what you want.

I think you're just complaining to complain. I don't understand why people do this. I really don't.

I assume you are either a psychic precog or a moron based on this post.

This is another troll thread, nothing to see here.

• Like 1

Funny but false as you obviously haven't read the first page of this thread. I wasn't the one to accuse the OP for complaining for complaining sake, calling the OP are moron and saying this is another troll thread. Also, when have I accused others of being a fanboy? You keep making that stuff up and believing what you want.

I think you're just complaining to complain. I don't understand why people do this. I really don't.

I assume you are either a psychic precog or a moron based on this post.

This is another troll thread, nothing to see here.

Hey, he could be psychic. Then there would be egg on my face. 

• Like 1

I will freely admit that I was the first to call out the OP as trolling, I will continue to stand by that.

Back to what the topic should be, no the game isn't being rushed, it doesn't feel it is going to be pushed back either. They are working their duffs off and with every update can see the progress and true beauty of the game that I backed.

• Like 1

I don't see how the OP is trolling. He's expressing concerns about the need to have this game out before the end of this year. He would like to see it pushed back for the dev's to polish the game even more. He's also concerned about the reputation of Obsidian with having buggy games. A LOT of people have said, 'take your time, I can wait' on these forums over the last year. And the OP ends his post with wishing Obsidian the best of luck.

These sort of questions have come up before. Early access to continue funding the development of PoE? When the question came up, Obsidian were worried about their reputation. And yet he gets called a troll, moron, etc with this thread. After browsing a few threads and seeing the OP's comments in other threads, I don't see any trolling. There seems to be a few people on this forum who don't like the negativity, perceived or otherwise, and jump into threads throwing insults. Well here's a tip. If you don't like these threads, then ignore them. Easy isn't it. Apparently not for some.

• Like 3

I think delaying the release for PoE is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situations. I am sure more dev time would mean a better game with more polish. On the other hand, they cannot get too close to Witcher 3 release or their game will not get enough time to sell. Also they need to release it before winter Steam sales begin or some time after which again brings it closed to W3. If they could afford it, best would be to release it 1- 2 months after W3 and put it on Early Access until then. Early Access worked well for WL2 and D:OS and it will get them more eyes and feedback. Of course they will need to release more content for Early Access. 

Edited by archangel979
  • Like 3

I don't see how the OP is trolling. He's expressing concerns about the need to have this game out before the end of this year. He would like to see it pushed back for the dev's to polish the game even more. He's also concerned about the reputation of Obsidian with having buggy games. A LOT of people have said, 'take your time, I can wait' on these forums over the last year. And the OP ends his post with wishing Obsidian the best of luck.

These sort of questions have come up before. Early access to continue funding the development of PoE? When the question came up, Obsidian were worried about their reputation. And yet he gets called a troll, moron, etc with this thread. After browsing a few threads and seeing the OP's comments in other threads, I don't see any trolling. There seems to be a few people on this forum who don't like the negativity, perceived or otherwise, and jump into threads throwing insults. Well here's a tip. If you don't like these threads, then ignore them. Easy isn't it. Apparently not for some.

Ok, here is what I saw reading the OP:

First:  It has become apparent that Obsidian seems to really want to rush this game out the door.

There is no basis for this. The impersonal use of the pronoun was employed in order to give his opinion an air of objective assessment instead of it being the result of his own impression. He could have easily said "I think Obsidian is trying to rush this game out the door," then the discussion could have been about those things that made him feel that way, and others could have offered their own reactions to these evens. 

Second: little known fact, this game was  going to be released even earlier than December.

How is this a little know fact? This statement is couched in terms as if he has busted some conspiracy and used to imply that Obsidian was even more unrealistic in their previous expectations. In addition, the only thing resembling an official release has always been Winter 2014. During the KS event, I believe they had hinted at a spring 2014 release, but later said that the scope of the project made them delay to winter. Of course this contradicts that poster's claim that Obsidian is trying rush the game out since they have in fact developed a schedule based on the scope of the project and not on initial expectations. 

But they wanted to keep it from releasing close to Dragon age 3.

This statement implies that the OP has some sort of intimate knowledge of the inner workings of the decision project for release, when in fact it is entirely conjecture on the part of the OP.

And the So called ""Beta"" IS acouly a alpha they just relised to make time for the December relise. 

And how can this NOT be trolling? Others have pointed out the problems with this statement in the thread. It is obviously in a beta state, the developers have called it a beta. It is a small slice of the game.

So, in my opinion, much of what the OP wrote he just made up, and made up specifically to incite other people. It masqueraded as a constructive post (complete with the implication of evidence to back up his opinion). He could have very well expressed his concern as his own impressions and invited a discussion (or, if this wasn't just for attention, join another thread I am sure discusses this very topic somewhere else on the boards). 

• Like 6