Is Obsidian trying to rush this game?

ctn2003

:geek: It has become apparent that Obsidian seems to really want to rush this game out the door. little known fact, this game was  going to be released even earlier than December. But they wanted to keep it from releasing close to Dragon age 3. And the So called ""Beta"" IS acouly a alpha they just relised to make time for the December relise.   Why their rushing a "Kickstarter" Game ill never know they have all the time in the world to shape this game up the way they want.

And as for worrying when Dragon age 3 is coming out - WHO CARES!! if your game is good Ill buy it!  did tomb Raider flop because of super Mario 64? i think not! Did crash Bandacute flop because of tome raider heck no! and Crash bandacute had poor reviews when it came out.     So for the Devs of this game i just want to tell you - Do Not rush this game- your games have been nothing but buggy messses over the years and for a game that's going to be your OWN ip. just shape up the game make it good.

But we all Wish you the best of luck. :biggrin:

• Like 2

:geek: It has become apparent that Obsidian seems to really want to rush this game out the door. little known fact, this game was  going to be released even earlier than December. But they wanted to keep it from releasing close to Dragon age 3. And the So called ""Beta"" IS acouly a alpha they just relised to make time for the December relise.   Why their rushing a "Kickstarter" Game ill never know they have all the time in the world to shape this game up the way they want.

And as for worrying when Dragon age 3 is coming out - WHO CARES!! if your game is good Ill buy it!  did tomb Raider flop because of super Mario 64? i think not! Did crash Bandacute flop because of tome raider heck no! and Crash bandacute had poor reviews when it came out.     So for the Devs of this game i just want to tell you - Do Not rush this game- your games have been nothing but buggy messses over the years and for a game that's going to be your OWN ip. just shape up the game make it good.

1) How do you know the release date?

2) How do you know it's an alpha.

3) You're talking about a time in which games were not a billion dollar industry. DA3 is an honest concern. Not everyone has infinite funds, nor wants to buy the same genre games all at once. PoE is going to get absolutely, 100% buried under all the talk of DA3 if it comes out in a month and some change.

In short, I think you're just complaining to complain. I don't understand why people do this. I really don't.

Edited by Bryy
  • Like 12

So. is this the part of the process where we come to the boards and make **** up? 

I assume you are either a psychic precog or a moron based on this post.

• Like 5

After doing a well over a dozen betas and a few alphas, this is far from being a alpha.  Is it polished? of course not.  At the same time how quickly the game can get polished can be at an amazing speed.  Early betas usually look and feel like crap but the biggest changes usually happens that last month before release.  Think of it like a reverse install bar, slow at first then blazes through at the end.

This is another troll thread, nothing to see here.

• Like 9

I would say available money is a definite limit on how long the game can stay in development. I would love if they put the game on Early Access and gave it few more months of development and polished it as much as possible. From earlier developments, they expect big sales (approaching 1 000 000 copies sold) but D:OS and WL2 have shown that even if the game is polished a lot (like D:OS) it will not get such huge sales, while a good game that didn't have enough polish (WL2) will get even less sales. If they want PoE to sell well, it needs to be much better then D:OS or WL2 in all aspects (and currently D:OS is a much much better game, not to mention Coop multiplayer). Edited by archangel979
  • Like 1

Notice how Feargus said in his interview with Matt Barton a few weeks ago that they were going to announce release ... but they haven't?

If they don't do it soon, it might actually be next year, which would give me a sigh of relief tbh.

• Like 15

Troll? Ha ha ha the guy has a gold badge. He's sunk a fair few Benjamins into this project. As far as I'm concerned, he's got the right to say what he wants.

So he does. Doesn't make anything he says less retarded though.

The notion alone that Obsidian has limitless time for development makes me grimace.

• Like 2

Troll? Ha ha ha the guy has a gold badge. He's sunk a fair few Benjamins into this project. As far as I'm concerned, he's got the right to say what he wants.

So he does. Doesn't make anything he says less retarded though.

The notion alone that Obsidian has limitless time for development makes me grimace.

Gotto agree with Quadrone there. On top of that the examples given by ctn2003 for not needing to care about other releases do all have a major flaw. All those games he mentioned back than had about the same budget behind them or at the very least were not worlds apart from each other in that respect. PoE and said DA3 are just not comparable. Yes PoE was one of the most successfull Kickstarter games ever (and still is) but I would not be suprised if the voice acting alone would have a way bigger budget than PoE does have for the whole game. And as much as the backers or fans of oldschool crpgs do praise and want PoE to be the next big thing (and it has a fair chance of beeing that) does not diminish the fact that the majority of the gaming masses, be it casual or hardcore, will be all over DA3 when it gets released. Weather it is because of they actually think it is the better game to PoE or because they will get caught up in the hype from all the fans and press coverage that will be all over the place does not really matter in the end. It would be downright suicide for PoE to be released at the same date or too close to it. And thats coming from someone that is considering PoE to be as close to his version of a perfect rpg as it will ever get and wants it to become the next big thing.

Edited by Spike Spiegel 28
  • Like 2

"Jet, do you know that there are three things I particularly hate......Kids, animals, and women with attitude. SO CAN YOU TELL ME WHY WE HAVE ALL THREE NEATLY GATHERED ON OUR SHIP!"

Remember.. This Forum is 90% Pandering Fanboys..

Anything critical of Obsidian.. no matter how factual it may be.. or even if it's not factual but just your opinion.. You are called a retard, moron, **** poster and worse. The dogs have been released..

How dare someone be critical of PoE.. Especially if that person invested.. what.. 300? 500? dollars.. More then anyone else in this thread. Do you actually think he is **** posting? The game is a mess.. Entire systems are being changed 2 months before release..

We still don't actually know what the attributes will do before launch.. Beta means the game is done and they are testing for bugs.,

If you can't save your game or use core systems of the game.. It's Alpha.. that's all he's saying.

The reason it MUST be released this year.. is because honestly.. Obsidian just has crazy overhead for everything they do.. They burn through cash like a flame thrower and if this game dev goes any longer.. they are gonna be operating out of pocket.. Maybe if Josh just made a damn IE game.. we wouldn't be in this situation.

The PoE expansion pack is gonna be 10 minutes long at this rate.

Edited by Immortalis
  • Like 2

From George Ziets @ http://new.spring.me/#!/user/GZiets/timeline/responses

Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat. While this does put more emphasis on solving quests, the lack of rewards for killing creatures makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game) as much as I can.

If you can't save your game or use core systems of the game.. It's Alpha.. that's all he's saying.

Up to here, I can where these opinions come from, even agree with some of it. But that:

The reason it MUST be released this year.. is because honestly.. Obsidian just has crazy overhead for everything they do.. They burn through cash like a flame thrower and if this game dev goes any longer.. they are gonna be operating out of pocket.. Maybe if Josh just made a damn IE game.. we wouldn't be in this situation.

Any inside information about the company's assets / liabilities you care to share with us and are any of our business? ;)
  • Like 2

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Any inside information about the company's assets / liabilities you care to share with us and are any of our business? ;)

I'm no expert, but unless I've misunderstood some things I learned recently, since Obsidian is neither public nor an LLC, that information shouldn't be available to anyone outside of the company.

• Like 3

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Anything critical of Obsidian.. no matter how factual it may be.. or even if it's not factual but just your opinion.. You are called a retard, moron, **** poster and worse. The dogs have been released..

How dare someone be critical of PoE.. Especially if that person invested.. what.. 300? 500? dollars.. More then anyone else in this thread. Do you actually think he is **** posting? The game is a mess.. Entire systems are being changed 2 months before release..

We still don't actually know what the attributes will do before launch.. Beta means the game is done and they are testing for bugs.,

The PoE expansion pack is gonna be 10 minutes long at this rate.

Not true. 

I don't like this negative criticism and I am barely a casual player.

Not even close to an Obsidian fan either. TBH I have never even played Wasteland or Fallout. I am here because I loved BG1 and 2 as a teenager, and was happy/intrigued when I heard of PoE. 

I what I have seen so far has made me very hopeful that we can finally get a decent game in the IE spirit. I think it has the potential to be an excellent game.

And I couldn't care less whether anyone thinks the game should be qualified either Alpha or Beta stage. From what I've seen/read here the game has improved a lot over just 2 beta releases. 

Not sure about the 1,000,000 sales mark though, seems incredibly ambitious (to say the least). :)

Edited by Quantics
  • Like 3

You sound like someone who doesn't really understand how game design works from a practical standpoint. For example, attributes in RPG's are not really core systems, they're essentially number modifiers, they can be tweaked or even completely altered just fine even close to release. In fact, that's the whole purpose of the beta: to get feedback on such things.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl
  • Like 2

Up to here, I can where these opinions come from, even agree with some of it. But that:

I'm no expert, but unless I've misunderstood some things I learned recently, since Obsidian is neither public nor an LLC, that information shouldn't be available to anyone outside of the company.

Feargus has said in interviews that their overhead per month is roughly 1 million dollars.. This is I believe their whole company and not specifically the PoE team which only has a fraction of the developers on it..

Our burn rate is $1 million a month, so we have to have games all the time.

But they have much higher overhead then say InXile.. Every day this game goes over budget it comes out of their pocket.. not a publisher who has much larger cushions.

I'm not saying Obsidian wastes money.. They are a large company.. not a indie team. They can't afford to dev this game for the next 2 years to make it pefect like most indie devs from kickstarter can.

You sound like someone who doesn't really understand how game design works from a practical standpoint. For example, attributes in RPG's are not really core systems, they're essentially number modifiers, they can be tweaked or even completely altered just fine even close to release. In fact, that's the whole purpose of the beta: to get feedback on such things.

Yes.. you sound like an expert on game design.. Please share with me the list of titles you have shipped.

If they are changing what the attributes do.. I don't mean tuning numbers for balance.. literally saying attributes now do something completely different or act as a variable for these systems as opposed to those systems.. 2 months before release.. There is trouble afoot.. If you disagree then we will agree to disagree.. but don't judge me from the angle that your an expert on anything.

Edited by Immortalis
  • Like 1

Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat. While this does put more emphasis on solving quests, the lack of rewards for killing creatures makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game) as much as I can.

Alpha? Beta? are people just obtuse or what - the Beta we are currently playing is three small areas of the game hastily cobbled together after removing any hints/spoilers for the storyline specifically so more people could have access (without being spoiled) - and from this tiny platform ripped from the huge area that the full game encompasses people can intuitively determine all this doom and gloom crap that gets posted here??

Just another round of pot stirring hitting the floor - SMH

• Like 4

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Yes.. you sound like an expert on game design.. Please share with me the list of titles you have shipped.

If they are changing what the attributes do.. I don't mean tuning numbers for balance.. literally saying attributes now do something completely different or act as a variable for these systems as opposed to those systems.. 2 months before release.. There is trouble afoot.. If you disagree then we will agree to disagree.. but don't judge me from the angle that your an expert on anything.

I haven't shipped any titles, but then again, I'm not the one claiming the developers have no idea what they're doing. That would be you.

What changes have they made to the attribute system that are so outrageous? Action speed and deflection? Those things were already in the game.

Feargus has said in interviews that their overhead per month is roughly 1 million dollars.. This is I believe their whole company and not specifically the PoE team which only has a fraction of the developers on it..

But they have much higher overhead then say InXile.. Every day this game goes over budget it comes out of their pocket.. not a publisher who has much larger cushions.

Funny that you should mention InXile since Wasteland 2 apparently has a much bigger budget than this game: I believe they said its budget doubled from the initial 3 million they raised on Kickstarter, and unlike PoE, it didn't have a focus on pretty graphics. That only solidifies my opinion that Obsidian have budgeted everything correctly and the final game will be fine.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl
  • Like 1

I haven't shipped any titles, but then again, I'm not the one claiming the developers have no idea what they're doing. That would be you.

What changes have they made to the attribute system that are so outrageous? Action speed and deflection? Those things were already in the game.

Funny that you should mention InXile since Wasteland 2 apparently has a much bigger budget than this game: I believe they said its budget doubled from the initial 3 million they raised on Kickstarter, and unlike PoE, it didn't have a focus on pretty graphics. That only solidifies my opinion that Obsidian have budgeted everything correctly and the final game will be fine.

Wasteland 2 was in open beta with a public bug tracker for about a year.. has a much smaller team and purchased a lot of their assets.. I wasn't saying that Obsidian was wasting money.. I said they are a large company who can't afford to go over budget..

Are you able to read or only spout your own opinions.

I understand your inner fanboyism is raging like a thousand hurricanes.. So you are interpreting meaning in my words where none is there. Try to come back to reality for a second and we can talk it out buddy.

Edited by Immortalis
  • Like 1

Wasteland 2 was in open beta with a public bug tracker for about a year.. has a much smaller team and purchased a lot of their assets.. I wasn't saying that Obsidian was wasting money.. I said they are a large company who can't afford to go over budget..

I understand your inner fanboyism is raging like a thousand hurricanes.. So you are interpreting meaning in my words where none is there. Try to come back to reality for a second and we can talk it out buddy.

You realize they saved a ton of money by purchasing those Unity assets, right? And shouldn't a smaller team save money? Oh, and Pillars of Eternity's development time will be roughly the same as Wasteland 2's, it will just stay in beta for a shorter period. Your arguments don't really seem to have any merit.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl
  • Like 2

You realize they saved a ton of money by purchasing those Unity assets, right? And shouldn't a smaller team save money? Oh, and Pillars of Eternity's development will be roughly the same as Wasteland 2's, it will just stay in beta for a shorter period. Your arguments don't really seem to have any merit.

My only argument is that you didn't understand my original post and you're an angry fanboy that made stuff up in your head. The rest is my opinions. :o

• Like 1

Oh, we understand your original post and most of it is just non-factual and/or based on speculation.  Not going to touch the funding thing, not enough insight on it.  Not a fanboy of Obsidian either.  I backed it because the concept of the game is something I can get behind, and so far it hasn't disappointed me.  Yes, the core system is in there.  You can move around!  Not perfectly but that can be fixed.  Stats are not part of the core system.  The ENGINE is the core system, rest is just numbers and ideas and yes they do change.  One game that I was early in the beta, champions online, had several powers that were drastically changed/removed/added by the time the game was released.  I know there are others that I had similar experiences with but not going to be bothered trying to remember them all.  Sensuki and Matt have been critical of the game, and generally I agree with their criticisms.  Their criticisms are based on numbers and facts though, yours is based on speculation and anger.  Which actually make your posts not criticisms, but in actuality they are troll posts.

Oh, btw, you CAN save in the game, even with the F5 key... just to show you how little you know what is going on.

• Like 2