Female Orlan taller than male orlan

Kiofs

Why is the Orlan the only race where the female model is taller than the male model? A small detail that bothers me as a perfectionist.

Maybe in the setting, female Orlans are taller than the males?

• Like 14

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Excellent a difference in Sexual dimorphism for a different race, about time that some one tried to make there different races/species at least slightly different from bigger human, smaller human, hairy human, pointy eared human etc.

Edited by aeonsim
  • Like 7

@Azrael,  the prodigy explorer: Except I'm talking about humanoid species and what makes you think I'm not aware of that. Ignorant people bother me, but that doesn't mean I'm not aware of your existence.

@Quantics: Hence, I'm not posting this in the bug section and have I mentioned the word bug? Oh wait, I just did that now for the first time!

@Sedrefilos: If it doesn't bother you, then it doesn't bother you. It's not that difficult to understand. 

Obsidian forum, such a nice place to have a discussion! 

Edited by Kiofs

As a perfectionist, you should bear in mind that biology doesn't recognize perfection as a concept - there is only the spectrum of what is advantageous, and what isn't.

Why is it that, in a world with numerous different humanoid species, all of them should be expected to conform to the same set of phenotypical norms as human beings?  If anything, they would do exactly the opposite, since each would occupy a distinct niche.

We hurt you because we love you. :dancing:

• Like 2

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

@Quantics: Hence, I'm not posting this in the bug section and have I mentioned the word bug? Oh wait, I just did that now for the first time!

My initial answer is perfectly valid. There's so many things that are blatantly wrong in the current state of the game, and you complain about a race where females are taller than males, which IMO just serves to show your lack of imagination. 

Especially since that the game you're talking about takes place in a completely imaginary world...

I just don't understand I guess.

My initial answer is perfectly valid. There's so many things that are blatantly wrong in the current state of the game, and you complain about a race where females are taller than males, which IMO just serves to show your lack of imagination. 

Especially since that the game you're talking about takes place in a completely imaginary world...

I just don't understand I guess.

So just because it's an imaginary fantasy world, it's make OK for Lineage 2 to make male dwarves look like old pedophiles?

123dwarf.jpg

So even if Obsidian made female elves much more muscular and taller (like an aumaua) than male elves, it's ok? Since, you know....it's an imaginary world.

You see what I'm getting at? You may disagree with me, but don't use imaginary fantasy world as your argument.

This is fantasy, they make races as they like. Female orlans are taller than male - this isn't even a problem, so there's no need to change it because you believe it should be the other way around for some reason (what reason I wonder?).

I'm pointing that out, because maybe it was a design flaw.

My reason has nothing to do with feminism, if that's what you are thinking. I believe the Orlan males should be taller for consistency of their build, since they are muscular. I believe that should be proportional to their length.

• Like 1

@Azrael,  the prodigy explorer: Except I'm talking about humanoid species and what makes you think I'm not aware of that. Ignorant people bother me, but that doesn't mean I'm not aware of your existence.

Humanoid means a generally human like bodybuild. There's nothing in that precluding females from being bigger, as long as they are roughly built like humans.(i.e. 2 arms, 2 legs, 1 head, knees bend the same way etc.)

Don't call others ignorant while showcasing your own lack of knowledge. For a perfectionist, you don't seem terribly concerned about perfection.

• Like 1

So just because it's an imaginary fantasy world, it's make OK for Lineage 2 to make male dwarves look like old pedophiles?

So even if Obsidian made female elves much more muscular and taller (like an aumaua) than male elves, it's ok? Since, you know....it's an imaginary world.

You see what I'm getting at? You may disagree with me, but don't use imaginary fantasy world as your argument.

... YES ! 

It's not a simulation, so if designers decide that pedophile-looking dwarves look better, then they are perfectly allowed to have them!

Or if obsidian decides than in their FANTASY world, female elves are taller than male elves, then so be it. 

Why so much mental rigidity? Because you have read a book (or ten) where elves look like this and dwarves look like that, doesn't mean that each and every fantasy book in history will have to follow these rules.

What I mean is, if indeed it's not a bug an game designers wanted to create a race where females are taller than males, they're perfectly within their rights (in my book).

This is such a weird thread. Anyway, I hadn't noticed this before, but I also hope it was on purpose.

+1

Edited by Quantics

Humanoid means a generally human like bodybuild. There's nothing in that precluding females from being bigger, as long as they are roughly built like humans.(i.e. 2 arms, 2 legs, 1 head, knees bend the same way etc.)

Don't call others ignorant while showcasing your own lack of knowledge. For a perfectionist, you don't seem terribly concerned about perfection.

Do I really need to spell everything out for people like you?  Very well, I will explain:

In POE, you pick a race in character creation and (humanoid) race is a category used for human beings in our real world, so all the (humanoid) races in POE are a reflection of the races in our real world (causasian, asian, african or even apes). I said humanoid, because in our world we expect the male to be bigger than the female for every human(oid) race in general. Name one race in our real world, where females are bigger than males.

We tend to prefer to see familiar things in games, which we can relate to the real world. I don't think people would like it, if the color of the water was red or if females rule the world in a medieval setting for example.

Now you know why you are being called ignorant. You lack the interpretation of other people's opinion. When I said it bothers me that female orlans are larger than male orlans, you immediately assume I lack the awareness of other species (when in fact, I'm talking about humanoid races).

• Like 1

Boy, this escalated quickly! The OP made a spontaneous post and clearly meant no harm.

Maybe the devs chose these sizes so on purpose, or maybe not, it doesn't matter. But you should be able to post what you think — as long as it is well written — without getting the usual sarcastic/passive agressive/offending answers, geez! At worst, the thread does not get a lot of answers/views, but that's all.

Edited by Rumsteak
  • Like 2

The OP is essentially "Why is this not the way i want it?!" with the rather flimsy excuse that it somehow offends his "perfectionism".

I'd say that isn't exactly "no harm".

Very well, I will explain:

Well, that explains your skewed world view. Doesn't make your rebuttal any better, though.

Humanoid is not a category used in the real world at all. It's a term originating in science-fiction to describe superficially human-like non-human species. It does not mean any of the things you believe it does.

You called me ignorant because you are blatantly ignorant of the meaning of your own words. I wonder if you even know what ignorant actually means.

Edited by Azrael Ultima
  • Like 5

in our world there are humans. they are categorized by certain visual criteria that are comon to part of the world they are from, but they are all humans. amauma however, are not a different type of humans... they are NOT humans! they are as different from humans as lions are different from goats. 

and as azrael said, humanoid is a term that describes something that vaguelly resemples a human in it's form, but is not a human

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

LOL at using real world biology to bitch about fantasy creatures.

• Like 4

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Humanoid is not a category used in the real world at all. It's a term originating in science-fiction to describe superficially human-like non-human species. It does not mean any of the things you believe it does.

That wasn't even my point.....

And when did I use humanoid as a category???? You should really work on your reading comprehension. I guess that's not possible, if your IQ is not higher than a two digit number.

I hope they come up with a cure for people like you, someday....I really do, for your sake...

Anyways, I won't comment on your posts again. Too much stupidity for me to handle.

They use real world biology/ideology/human nature to create POE.

Edited by Kiofs

There is no real world equivalent of Orlans, Elves, Dwaves, Aumaua, or Godlike. Attempting to use real world logic to ascribe characteristics to these fantasy creatures is foolish.

There is no real world equivalent of Orlans, Elves, Dwaves, Aumaua, or Godlike. Attempting to use real world logic to ascribe characteristics to these fantasy creatures is foolish.

I meant to say as a reference.

Human: Caucasian

Elves: Asian (intelligent, feminine look, long life span)

Dwarves: Scottish (accent)

Aumaua: African-american (muscular, rougher skin)

Trolls (warcraft): Jamaican (accent)

yeeaaahh, it's really foolish for game companies to use real world biology as a reference to create fantasy creature...small minded peeps...

Edited by Kiofs
  • Like 1