Ranting on Skyrim

DarthDeven

hi,i wanted to rant some things on Skyrim,that were very annoying and broke immersion for me

• 1)NPC are static

,the npcs are the most static thing in the Skyrim universe,you can do whatever you want,kill Alduin,become leader of all guilds,and still they repeat the same lines over and over,like
'once i've made enough money trading with the Khajit caravans i'm going to buy the bannered mare from Hulda' or '
Do you get to the Cloud District very often?oh what am i saying of course you don't'
'Welcome to the cozy little family,i'm one of the lookouts for the guild,i watch Delvin's back'
the hell?couldn't you do more lines to greet the player instead of that? i don't care about those lines,make them speak about my accomplishments
take the Thieves Guild NPCs
they never get out from the Ragged Flagon,unless it's a scripted event that requires them to go somewhere and Vex says 'will you take a job or you're just gonna wander around all day?'
says the woman that stays in a sewer 'inn' all day standing next to a wall or eating bread indefenetly

• 2)Guilds easy to access and complete

needless to say,the guilds in Skyrim are done in a way so that even if someone isn't trained into what the guild usually asks (high warrior skills for companions to progress,high stealth skills for thieves guild) can access,and after two hours of radiant quests the player is named Guildmaster for no reason other than

1)The previous Guildmaster dies or dissapears
or 

2)The previous Guildmaster betrays the guild and leaves
and after completing the storyline,what does the player get?can he send someone to errands for him?
can he do some important mission that isn't a fetch quest with some of the guild's high rank members?
can he do some fun stuff that the previous Guildmaster did(Like planning an important mission)?
nope,if you're lucky,you are 'rewarded' with a pair of crappy followers and some lines changing for some members (like Dirge will no longer say that he will bash in your skull,but not even 'hi boss how you're doing')
or if you're not lucky,you will get just a random sum of gold taken from the last dungeon clearing and told to **** off or sent to do stupid errands to recover stolen family heirlooms,even when you are doing a thieves guild 'special job'
'recover the silver locket from a bandit camp for Cruel-sea'
seriously?
a generic dungeon clearing for a Thieves guild mission? .
the missions in Skyrim's DB are far worse than Oblivion's quests
for example,i remember sneaking in the imperial sewers to kill Daven Verth (the dark elf in the start of the game) and to get the bonus you had to not kill any guards or be detected
or the crazy party,where you had to murder all guests and to acquire the bonus,you had to kill them individually without being detected
in Skyrim,just run over to the Target,kill everyone standing in the way,and you're done,bonus + mission reward
same with the thieves guild,you had only few missions that required sneaking,and were done badly,you could kill everyone,while before you had to pay 'blood price' for every kill during a special commission
in oblivion you had to go into the lower levels of the imperial palace,sneak around and steal an elder scroll and after the completition of the storyline 'it's the grey fox' 
the guards running after me,it was fantastic

• the removal of the ability system

​call me old fashioned,but i disliked that Bethesda removed much of the ability system,it was part of the roleplaying
like choosing birthsign,class,ect
removing blunt and blade to '1handed' and two handed
looks like they wanted only for casuals to play the game

Casual Gamers  :getlost: 

• dumbing down the civil war

in Skyrim there's the civil war,and originally it was far better,striking towns and mills,real time strategy elements,bribing stewards,battles for every hold ect
but Bethesda wanted Skyrim to be released on 11\11\11 so they dumbed it down to

1)do a crappy dungeon clearing or kill a ice wraith
2)go to a Korvanjund and recover the jagged crown(another dungeon clearing)
3)bring it to Ulfric\Tullius
4)send a message to Whiterun
5)Battle for whiterun(good)
and then it all falls apart with small fort sieging counted as major battles
just take over a fort,and the hold is yours,what kind of logic is that?it sucks
do that until the final hold,when you get the final battle for Solitude\Windhelm
that's it?
the entire civil war was finished in 2-3 hours
it was worth it?
for a dumb plot about dumb dragons trying to destroy the world?

don't get me wrong,i liked the game,but it needed some much more to become what it should have been
it's good,but it's so overrated
thank you for reading 

The recent TES games [Ovlivion/FO3/Skyrim] are more concerned with maintaining a timeless world sim, than providing a good roleplaying enviroment; that has to be accepted going into it, or the will always disappoint.  The sandbox lives upto its name in that as you try to dig deeper, you see that it's a self refilling hole.

Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 2

Main problem with skyrim is that there are no nakid nords full of bloodlust ready to go battle in their birthday suits and the guns they were born with.

Plus writing, streamlining, and the removal of alot of things as well.

Edited by redneckdevil
  • Like 1

Main problem with skyrim is that there are no nakid nords full of bloodlust ready to go battle in their birthday suits and the guns they were born with.

Plus writing, streamlining, and the removal of alot of things as well.

You obviously don't know about mods.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

It's funny, people couch their play-through reviews as rants, interchangeable as those terms have become, I guess. 

Blunt and blade 'choices' are still there, just as perks. The game itself was billed from the start to offer massive quantities in favor of specific qualities. More macro-fun, less micro-interest. Still and all, it was amusing enough for four full games myself. 

All Stop. On Screen.

Yeah I felt the level system in Skyrim was a vast improvement on the series - now they just need to offer real disadvantages to choices so you're not a master of everything by the time the game ends.

Fortune favors the bald.

Skrim was pretty good, had memorable playthrough with my first character, Altmer mage.

Blundered about until level 20 in Falkreath hold instead of heading to Winterrun, then triggered Sanguine quest and ended up in Markarth. Ultimately I was level 50 or so when I started main quest.

When I made it to Winterhold and started mage questline I had already mastered all mage schools much to the dismay of that furry mage apprentice whom I later sacrificed to Boethiah.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

as i've said,i've liked the game overall,make no mistake,but it could have offered so much more
that's what i'm trying to say
some perk are useful,but some are OP
like the perk to remove negative effects from potions and positive from poisons
i didn't feel the accomplishments of mine being rewarded
all the small details make up the immersion,if a minor one isn't present,it's not a big problem
but when half of these small details,that were present in the previous games aren't developed anymore i get annoyed,and if it keeps going on like that,i end up being angry and i abandon the game when a major mechanic is removed

It's funny, people couch their play-through reviews as rants, interchangeable as those terms have become, I guess. 

Blunt and blade 'choices' are still there, just as perks. The game itself was billed from the start to offer massive quantities in favor of specific qualities. More macro-fun, less micro-interest. Still and all, it was amusing enough for four full games myself. 

it's my opinion,i've played the game multiple times,finished every storyline and put hundreds of hours in these characters so i'm free to rant it,like it or not,so stop being rude

it's not about choice,it's about immersion and perks don't justify the missing abilities that helps get into that character
you had two abilites,for two different weapon types,but in the next game it all falls into 1H or 2H
 that's what RPGs are all about,roleplaying,i want to roleplay as a guy that's good with swords,bows and daggers but it has little to no experience with maces and heavy weapons,but in the gameplay mechanic of Skyrim,you are good at both,even if just used swords and never touched a mace you will do same damage and no penalties
if a RPG limits roleplaying,it has failed

Edited by DarthDeven

I find something to bitch about in Skyrim every time I play it. That's the magic of Bethesda, they can make a beautiful world full of rancid **** and somehow it's still enjoyable to varying degrees.

hi,i wanted to rant some things on Skyrim,that were very annoying and broke immersion for me

• 1)NPC are static
    • ,the npcs are the most static thing in the Skyrim universe,you can do whatever you want,kill Alduin,become leader of all guilds,and still they repeat the same lines over and over,like
      'once i've made enough money trading with the Khajit caravans i'm going to buy the bannered mare from Hulda' or '
      Do you get to the Cloud District very often?oh what am i saying of course you don't'
      'Welcome to the cozy little family,i'm one of the lookouts for the guild,i watch Delvin's back'
      the hell?couldn't you do more lines to greet the player instead of that? i don't care about those lines,make them speak about my accomplishments
      they never get out from the Ragged Flagon,unless it's a scripted event that requires them to go somewhere and Vex says 'will you take a job or you're just gonna wander around all day?'
      says the woman that stays in a sewer 'inn' all day standing next to a wall or eating bread indefenetly

Playing devil's advocate now. If it wasn't a Bethesda game, would you really care that much about NPCs sitting in one place and saying the same lines? It really is partly Bethesda's fault for raising expectations about their NPCs, but even so.

Every open world/sandbox type game has the uncanny valley hidden in its geography.

Moving on...

The thieves' guild questline and everything associated with it is pure unmitigated garbage and the absolute worst part of Skyrim.

Ok, the armor looks kind of cool, but that's what crafting mods are for.

Edited by AGX-17

I find something to bitch about in Skyrim every time I play it. That's the magic of Bethesda, they can make a beautiful world full of rancid **** and somehow it's still enjoyable to varying degrees.

• 1)NPC are static
  • ,the npcs are the most static thing in the Skyrim universe,you can do whatever you want,kill Alduin,become leader of all guilds,and still they repeat the same lines over and over,like

•  
  •  
  •  

Playing devil's advocate now. If it wasn't a Bethesda game, would you really care that much about NPCs sitting in one place and saying the same lines? It really is partly Bethesda's fault for raising expectations about their NPCs, but even so.

Every open world/sandbox type game has the uncanny valley hidden in its geography.

Moving on...

The thieves' guild questline and everything associated with it is pure unmitigated garbage and the absolute worst part of Skyrim.

Ok, the armor looks kind of cool, but that's what crafting mods are for.

yeah,maybe,but other linear rpgs have some lines varying to some degree,you can't make the NPC say the same things over and over from the first time you met them,even after events that are too big to be ignored

if a random guard in a village knows that i murdered the emperor,then the npc in the main cities should know it better.

it was cool if there was some kind of 'corrected' version of Oblivion barter between NPCs 

like the dialogue

'The Emperor,and his three sons,dead,under the noses of the imperial guard,it's a disgrace'

'have you heard rumors from the other provinces'

'they say that when you murder someone,the Dark Brotherhood comes when your sleep,it's how they recruit new members'

it wasn't the best system ever,but it worked well and you felt that you were in a city and not in a monastery

if they overhauled that system it would have been the best i could ask for

npc chatting with each other  seemed more alive than the same conversation in a inn in Skyrim

instead of

'unlike my husband Kepplr,i watch after our guests'

'What you have said,you venomous wife of mine?'

'nothing you pigheaded oaf'

i hearded this exact conversation like 300 times by now and got boring

it's not a big problem,but the npc now overreact to people stealing/trespassing/pickpocketing too much IMO

for example they attack me after stealing a wooden bowl,at least only the guards in oblivion carved you out,they had heavy legion armor and very good weaponry so it made sense for them attacking you.

but in skyrim

'never should have come here' 

Nazeem,after i was caught pickpocketing,pulls out his crappy iron dagger and attacks me while he's wearing fine clothing while i had full Steel Armor and Dwarven Weapons(it was between level 15-20)  :facepalm: 

it's stupid to program all npcs to attack you with iron daggers wearing clothes when you have full dragonbone/daedric armor and a Legendary Dwarven Warhammer even when you commit a crime that isn't assault,only an idiot would attack you,don't make them attack you,just call the guards and chase the thief,like a normal person would do

they should say 'hey that's not yours' or another random line for the first three times and then call the guards,after stealing again make them come for you and get back the item/s from you if the guards aren't there yet

Oblivion  that was the perfect method,unless you attacked the shopkeeper they wouldn't attack you,just limited to get back the item from you and call the guards they would stay out from fights

even trespassing in Skyrim they get aggressive after 2 seconds and attack you the same

annoying lines 'you're not supposed to be in here' 'can't a man/woman get a blah blah'

How to solve this

make the npcs run away if they see you after murdering someone or if you assaulting them

call the guards and lock the house if you are trespassing

call the guards,chase the thief and get back the items if you are stealing/pickpocketing

i agree the Thieves Guild in Skyrim is the most retarded and boring storyline,believe me.

only one game beats this storyline in retardness.

Edited by DarthDeven

Why do you type like that?  It is unreadable.

Such a failure of linguistic mores is deleterious to the intelligence of all those who write complete sentences, organize their writing in paragraph form, and have the cojones to use the Oxford Comma.

Actually, funny story: The writing in Skyrim is dismal.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 1

Why do you type like that?  It is unreadable.

Its not unreadable, English obviously just isn't his first language.

He may have used a document editor for spell checks  and now the formatting is inconsistent when it gets copied to the forum?

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I do agree with OP on a couple of points.

1.Master of Every Guild. This was a bit of a letdown, I'd have expected guilds to be mutually exclusive, instead I found myself being the Master of them all. Furthermore, the player doesn't even have to be really proficient's in this or that guild's trade, to become its master. One can easily become the Companions' harbinger as a destruction mage, or the College's head as a backstabbing thief.

Indeed, this was disappointing, especially considering how little effort is required to become a guild Master. Upon starting the game for the first time, I expected the "rise to power" to be somewhat slower and require dedication and effort, but found out quite to the contrary. Furthermore, there is not really much of a reward for becoming a guildmaster. No new guild-specific skills or spells, no "guild house" or something of the sort, no "monthly collectable revenue" kind of thing, no relevant pecuniary reward: becoming the guildmaster effectively determines the "end" of that guild, as far as its in-game "utility" and interesting-ness go.

2.Stormcloaks Rebellion. This was indeed a farce of a rebellion. Take a couple of cities, listen to a lot of phony motivational speeches, and there you go. And the moot to elect the new king doesn't even happer. Nor the Thalmor. Nor more Imperial troops. That's it. Kick the imps out, and then nobody cares anymore. In fact, this feels a bit like point #1, with the player quickly and easily becoming the leader of the organization only to be left with nothing to do with such power and title.

• Like 1

I’m selling these fine leather jackets.

Yes Skyrim is a disappointment, at first i was in awe, but then....

The quests are terrible, worse than Oblivion. And there are a lot of forced quest. Meet a talking dog, suddenly Daedra quest activated, meet a guy at a settlement, suddenly thief guild quest activated...we can't even say "no". Of course we can ignore them all but the game is designed such way that it is all forced on us. The quests will still active on journal.

The story is rushing...we are an escaped prisoner after an event, a dragon attack...then go to Whiterun, a mage find a tablet of a sort, then return to help the settlers defeating a dragon..then suddenly we are a Dragonborn...you see, we don't have to take much effort becoming one, just wait till everybody kill the dragon, or just let the immortal bodyguard kill it, then go near the dragon and wait something to happen...At least make the story where we must take some effort to earn that title...it's the highest title ever in Tamriel.

Being a Dragonborn have little meaning in the game, not like being a Jedi in KotOR or being a Grey Warden in DA:O, as a Dargonborn we will still being hunted by the whole settlers for accidentally kill a chicken...being a Dragonborn in Skyrim is just a person when a dragon dead, can suck it's soul, then can shout...that's all. It doesn't carry any weight as Jedi or Grey Warden in other games.

Low quality armor and weapons look nicer than high quality ones, as the armor and weapon rank rise up it become uglier in design, luckily we can upgrade steel sword above the standard Daedra sword, so i am okay with that.

Dual wield cannot block, no matter how they want to justify it in their book, it's still stupid. Not only that the equip key is problematic and confusing. We can't re-equip the weapon for the left hand the same way right hand, the second weapon will appear in right hand after sheathing the first weapon. We can draw same weapon but once it upgraded it become two weapons must equip differently from the menu each time.

We will open up menu many times for any reasons

The only good thing in Skyrim is archery, i give to that

Still i enjoy the game as a game, not so sentimental as other games.

Was somehow less enjoyable than Oblivion.

That was quite the achievement.

Same for me, I mostly attribute that to being younger and Oblivion being the first open world game I played. But there is also the really good Thieve's Guild quest line and Skingrad, whose atmosphere I was quite fond of.