Would someone be willing to post the new portraits and models from 301?

bigsun123

Digging EvilLore's avatar.

All that I've heard of EviLore derives me to think that he is pretty disliked on the whole? That doesn't have any reference to his picture being any good, but knowing his portrait is there and may be used for party characters is gonna peeve a lot of ppl.

On the actual portrait lot, I dig them but I am definitely hoping for some other than Caucasian brothers as there are three races of human in this game. I do understand this is, at best, a final pass on the art front and of very little importance - but that is the topic thread.

Edited by TheNationer

Well I know at least some of the portraits are based on actual backers, (not sure which ones) so complaints about symmetry, race, etc. seem a bit misplaced until we know which are which. I mean, there's not much we can do if all the portrait backers were ugly Caucasian males and and young attractive females. ;)

• Like 1

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

I guess they haven't gotten to too many of the ugly looking big roller backers yet...who are non-Caucasian. And female.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Digging EvilLore's avatar.

All that I've heard of EviLore derives me to think that he is pretty disliked on the whole? 

He's the creator of the NeoGAF forum, so of course he has some haters, being in a position of power.

Yeah that's very poor trollage. I was better than that when I was a baby-troll.

At least I hope that's trolling. I can't keep it straight anymore who on these forums is wildly sexist and who isn't. But considering he made a thread earlier where he advocated for the killing of women just so they wouldn't be in your fictional games party.

Edited by Bryy
  • Like 1

1) They ain't gonna draw anyone purposefully or obviously ugly

2) Nobody questioned whether, just when, they'll get around to drawing the coloured and black fellas/lasses

No worries, lets not take this down any race/gender discussion route

Ahh okay, this was going to be my question, I realize most of the people playing this will be white, but black people are in the story so it would be nice to see them represented in the character creation. As far as I'm aware there aren't any East Asian or South Asian races right? It would be nice to see them represented too.

Ahh okay, this was going to be my question, I realize most of the people playing this will be white, but black people are in the story so it would be nice to see them represented in the character creation. As far as I'm aware there aren't any East Asian or South Asian races right? It would be nice to see them represented too.

No Asian ethnicities, but I don't think they're needed:

Meadow Folk (Thyrtan) are Caucasian

Savannah Folk (Natlan) are Mesoamerican

Ocean Folk (Calbandra) are Sub-Saharan African

The three ethnicities is enough to give a broad scope of appearances and cultural depth to humanity - which needs variety like any other player character in the game.

More variety in the faces would easily add any variety people wished for, without Obsidian having to add in extra stories/backgrounds/cultures/regions for them to have existed within. The racial priority I'd have is with the Aumaua's aesthetics, I know I bang on about it, but I really thought they'd be an Orc-Predator mashup when I saw this> http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2013/06/pe-aumaua-head-wip.jpg but they've turned out a lil' froggy.

Edited by TheNationer

The racial priority I'd have is with the Aumaua's aesthetics, I know I bang on about it, but I really thought they'd be an Orc-Predator mashup when I saw this> http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2013/06/pe-aumaua-head-wip.jpg but they've turned out a lil' froggy.

Link doesn't work for me by the way.  I would agree though, it would be nice to have a variety for each race and gender.  I think if the Aumaua are supposed to be semiaquatic, hence the shark like characteristics.  As far as I've seen, the only reference to them being an orc-like race is that they are bigger and stronger than people, without the other traits I generally associate with orcs in other realms (darker skin, evil, uncivilized, cave dwelling, etc.)  

I'm fine with the shark-like look of the Aumaua, but dayum they need to clean up those textures on the character model. Also need more portraits for them, but those are probably on the way. Hopefully better textures are too. Head 2 for female Aumaua is just... oy.

I'm fine with the shark-like look of the Aumaua, but dayum they need to clean up those textures on the character model. Also need more portraits for them, but those are probably on the way. Hopefully better textures are too. Head 2 for female Aumaua is just... oy.

Should we make comparisons? Lets make comparisons:

GuILLKt.png3L964Ff.png

h0x6zzm.png9xK7uMV.png

l9BvtBH.png9z9FVfh.png

I rather like the last one, though its not very Aumaua-ish I think.

Body shots!

k8btZ2l.png

SniKy4f.png

Whoa, is the balding guy supposed to be Aumaua?  He just looks..bad.  Like a gas station manager who slathered some sunscreen partially on his face and fell asleep bad. 

The last portrait I really like, as I get a BG2 Minsc vibe from it.  The model face looks hilariously surprised compared to it though.  I feel like if they just made the eyes smaller it would fit the faces and larger statures of the Aumaua better.

Should we make comparisons? Lets make comparisons:

GuILLKt.png3L964Ff.png

h0x6zzm.png9xK7uMV.png

l9BvtBH.png9z9FVfh.png

I rather like the last one, though its not very Aumaua-ish I think.

Body shots!

k8btZ2l.png

SniKy4f.png

I'm confused: Are the portraits or 3D models to the left the older ones (like patch 278) and the ones to the right newer ones (patch 301)?

I actually prefer the ones to the left in this case.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***