Is Might a Dump Stat? Is Perception THE DPS stat?

Fiebras

If everything's so constraining that everyone must fit a rigid cookie-cutter, what's the point? Role-playing is about what you can do in a given role, as opposed to what someone else can do in that role. That's why MMO's suck so badly now: your options to differentiate your given character from any other of the same class are ridiculously minimal. "Do you want bonuses to ice magic damage, or bonuses to fire magic damage? YAY! You're totally unique, because you and a million other mages can all pick from one of THREE distinct options! 8D!"

Roleplaying is a tango between similarities and differences. Not a guidance counselor who says "You've got big muscles and aren't a genius? You're gonna be a Fighter."

Expanding on your point somewhat: there are some stories where certain characters are inappropriate to roleplay. You wouldn't play a roguish X-Wing pilot in Westeros, for instance, because that goes against the assumptions of Westeros on a basic level. But that doesn't mean there's anything inherently wrong with playing roguish X-Wing pilots, just that they need to be in the right place.

My point in mentioning this is that the "muscle mages, how awful, that goes against roleplaying," as an argument, fundamentally misstates what roleplaying is. It may go against the particular type of setting and universe that some players expect, it may be an archetype that they think would rather be inappropriate in roleplaying they would enjoy (although I'd encourage such players to keep an open mind), but that's the extent of it. The fact that it's an archetype not (usually) encountered in D&D does not prevent it from being roleplaying, because roleplaying is inherently much more expansive in nature.

CHA (I think) for sorcs.

Yeah, it's CHA, though i never quite understood why. For somebody who relies mostly on intuition, i'd have expected INT or at least WIS.

Charisma measures force of personality and strength of conviction, which sorcerers rely on to power their spells. Wisdom is more about being aware and centered, which isn't really useful if the aesthetic empowering your spellcasting is, "reality will obey me because I am great."

..So they sent me the money instead. 

The most entertaining or well-argued suggestion for where I should donate $105 in kickstarter money, on Obsidian's behalf, will get it.

So what, are you just posting here to make a show of yourself? You can't actually care about giving money to any kind of worthy cause, or you would already have done it. You can't believe that anything of value you have to say about PoE will be listened to, or you wouldn't have jumped at the chance to withdraw your support. I can't think of any logically coherent reason for you to participate in this discussion (especially with this), other than to criticize without critique and to troll.

(Donate it to me. I deserve it. For science.)

• Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

You could spend it on dues to the Over Ree Actor's Club. If you're into stage stuff, that is...

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Expanding on your point somewhat: there are some stories where certain characters are inappropriate to roleplay. You wouldn't play a roguish X-Wing pilot in Westeros, for instance, because that goes against the assumptions of Westeros on a basic level. But that doesn't mean there's anything inherently wrong with playing roguish X-Wing pilots, just that they need to be in the right place.

My point in mentioning this is that the "muscle mages, how awful, that goes against roleplaying," as an argument, fundamentally misstates what roleplaying is. It may go against the particular type of setting and universe that some players expect, it may be an archetype that they think would rather be inappropriate in roleplaying they would enjoy (although I'd encourage such players to keep an open mind), but that's the extent of it. The fact that it's an archetype not (usually) encountered in D&D does not prevent it from being roleplaying, because roleplaying is inherently much more expansive in nature.

Indeedibly!

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I can't think of any logically coherent reason for you to participate in this discussion (especially with this), other than to criticize without critique and to troll.

(Donate it to me. I deserve it. For science.)

Well, I think very few of you can make a good or coherent argument about anything, even if I offered you 105 dollars.

And I think that the ones who can make a good argument are too modest to even try to compete with your noise.

What do you think about that?

The injustice must end! Sign the petition and Free the Krug!

Well, I think very few of you can make a good or coherent argument about anything, even if I offered you 105 dollars.

I guess I am unable to rise to the level of childishly calling people mentally ill for disagreeing with me.  Truly high quality rhetoric on your part.

• Like 1

I guess I am unable to rise to the level of childishly calling people mentally ill for disagreeing with me.  Truly high quality rhetoric on your part.

If that's your impression of what I said, and you think it's childish - then why not rise above it and prove me wrong properly?

In any case, the problem is that some argue that numbers that have no meaning or relation to anything, as long as they become bigger and bigger over time -- is the ultimate form of entertainment. And they insist that there is no other possible point of view in the entire world. End of discussion.

I don't think that this is a reasonable point of view.

(You can also tick off the two top indicators for Aspergers disease from that - the point being that the game as it's headed is going to be obsessively engaging for people with Aspergers on one of the bad days. And like I said in the other thread - if that's who Obsidian wants to appease with my pledge money, there are more effective ways to do it that will actually help.

Last chance before the money goes to a charity of my choosing.)

If that's your impression of what I said, and you think it's childish - then why not rise above it and prove me wrong properly?

In any case, the problem is that some argue that numbers that have no meaning or relation to anything, as long as they become bigger and bigger over time -- is the ultimate form of entertainment. And they insist that there is no other possible point of view in the entire world. End of discussion.

I don't think that this is a reasonable point of view.

(You can also tick off the two top indicators for Aspergers disease from that - the point being that the game as it's headed is going to be obsessively engaging for people with Aspergers on one of the bad days. And like I said in the other thread - if that's who Obsidian wants to appease with my pledge money, there are more effective ways to do it that will actually help.

Last chance before the money goes to a charity of my choosing.)

I don't believe you actually got the money back (I don't think you should get a return anyhow),  but If you want to prove it,  you can send it to me.

I think the money should remain with PoE. It is being made for people with Asperger's anyway, right? What more charitable way to donate it?

• Like 1

"The essence of balance is detachment. To embrace a cause, to grow fond or spiteful, is to lose one's balance, after which, no action can be trusted. Our burden is not for the dependent of spirit."

And I think that the ones who can make a good argument are too modest to even try to compete with your noise.

What do you think about that?

I think I'd tell you to troll smarter, not harder, except that you've already derailed this thread so hopelessly that you must be trolling pretty smart.

tl;dr WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I think the money should remain with PoE. It is being made for people with Asperger's anyway, right? What more charitable way to donate it?

...you only say that because you don't know anyone with the problem, or know what it is. 

-----

https://donatenow.networkforgood.org/1429607/thankyou

You have made a one-time donation for

Donate 97% - I understand Network for Good will deduct 3% to cover transaction costs.

Total charged:$105.00

Transaction ID: 1259464869

You are dedicating your donation

On behalf of Obsidian Entertainment.

The recipient will receive an emailacknowledgement.

So - have fun. I'll give you a fair review when the game comes out. 

• Like 2

I guess we've run out of discussion on dump stats then if we've taken to talking about mental illnesses and each other.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."