Legend of Korra - Book 4: Balance

ktchong

I really wish a capable developer would make an RPG based on the world of the Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra.  In which you play NOT as the Avatar, but as a bender from one of the four nations: a waterbender, earthbender, firebender, or airbender.   The benders are basically classes in this fantasy RPG.  Then your character can develop and upgrade his/her bending skill and unlock new bending abilities: i.e., waterbending can be upgraded to healing or bloodbending, earthbending to metalbending or lavabending (mutually exclusive,) firebending to lightning, etc.  There have been a few action games based on the Avatar, but not yet a RPG in which players get to explore and interact with the world and its cultures and bending arts.

• 2 months later...

Well finally it ended and I have to say that I'm sad they didn't leave it at The Last Airbender. Watched it on and off, just enough to follow the main story line but in the end I couldn't get past Korra.

As for the gay ending romance, the cynic in me thinks they just went for the shock points to draw some ratings in, though I feel that it wouldn't cause that much of it anyways nowadays.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Actually, the realist in me that stopped watching after the first season says that is because of the same reason I left. I don't like soap operas.

This just the same shipping crap that has plagued the show from the beginning, really not surprising...plus an interracial lesbian couple is the liberal feminist catnip.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

There didn't seem to be any build up for the gay romance until last 5 minutes or did just miss it?

Legend of Korra as a whole seemed to be bit unbalanced. Serious issues were kinda written off and some characters didn't grow at all. The "police brother" is probably the most boring character ever created. He had no personality what so ever. Still, the "first avatar" episodes were awesome.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Wow, is that how the internet took that ending? My interpretation was "Nickelodeon totally wussed out on making her gay, cowards" because that's what actually happened in the episode. I know the creators confirmed it and all, but friggin' show, don't tell. This was about as useless as Dumbledore being gay.

Anyway, this season had practically no shipping and neither did season 3 so if that was your issue with the first two seasons, let it rest. The other problems, such as none of the characters being particularely interesting? Still there. Although the third and fourth seasons were a lot better than the other seasons.

• Like 1

Wow, is that how the internet took that ending? My interpretation was "Nickelodeon totally wussed out on making her gay, cowards" because that's what actually happened in the episode. I know the creators confirmed it and all, but friggin' show, don't tell. This was about as useless as Dumbledore being gay.

Anyway, this season had practically no shipping and neither did season 3 so if that was your issue with the first two seasons, let it rest. The other problems, such as none of the characters being particularely interesting? Still there. Although the third and fourth seasons were a lot better than the other seasons.

...Wasn't she perfectly happy (for a time) in a heterosexual relationship? That'd make her bisexual, not gay. Bi people are sadly underrepresented in media (there's John Constantine and... that's all I can think of), so it's an important distinction to make, methinks.

Re: seasons, I still think Korra season 3 is pretty much on par quality-wise with ATLA. Or maybe I'm biased because I like having an avatar who brings out the whoop-ass once in a while (magical kungfu happening in a show about magical kungfu is always good), as opposed to Goofy Pacifist 10-yr. Old Kid, whom I've hated.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Gay, queer, bi, pan, genderfluid, whatever. I know people are a stickler for terminology but I honestly think the focus on labeling it is detrimental to everyone. Either way, having a single entirely ambiguous shot of teasing shippers and saying after your show is over and you have zero risk left that your character is queer is not a brave move. It wasn't a brave move when J.K. Rowling did it and it's not a brave move now. You can't hide it in ambiguity to the point that most people will never even pick up on it and then pretend you made a huge leap forward. The creators talked about how they finally decided that they wouldn't let the fear of "not getting away with it on a network cartoon" stop them anymore which is ironic because that's exactly what still happened, the cowards.

Gay, queer, bi, pan, genderfluid, whatever. I know people are a stickler for terminology but I honestly think the focus on labeling it is detrimental to everyone. Either way, having a single entirely ambiguous shot of teasing shippers and saying after your show is over and you have zero risk left that your character is queer is not a brave move. It wasn't a brave move when J.K. Rowling did it and it's not a brave move now. You can't hide it in ambiguity to the point that most people will never even pick up on it and then pretend you made a huge leap forward. The creators talked about how they finally decided that they wouldn't let the fear of "not getting away with it on a network cartoon" stop them anymore which is ironic because that's exactly what still happened, the cowards.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in full agreement, I just had to point out that detail.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

The main problem with The Legend of Korra is that it was originally designed with 12 episodes in mind. As a result the show is disjointed and inconsistent. The only thing I really like about the show is Korra's design. I think she looks cool.

The original series was much better.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.