Torment: Tides of Numero Uno

Blarghagh

*snort*

what is it 'bout the internet that it breeds this curious mentality that the obsidans and inxiles owe the nameless and faceless mob details o' their business, but when such businesses ask for the most innocuous level o' reciprocity (name and email) from those who intend to print interviews, we is treated to public displays o' bitter mewling and anguished hair rending. 

if codex had provided the requested info and inxile still wouldn't allow the interview, then we would understand sensuki's public pity party.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Wait what? Did they not ask for his personal info after they canceled the interview, or am missing something? They also asked it for a person who "leaked" the info. Did they ask for anyone else personal info? Seems to me like they wanted to take some legal action and they just needed a name to subpoena.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

They most likely wanted to send a cease and desist letter to him, given that they only asked for his name and email.  Pretty standard stuff, really.  As Grommie mentioned, you'd think the Codex would wear those like a badge of honor, instead of hiding under the desk when the mail arrives.  

But that is also why the Codex , like the vast majority of gaming sites, should never be taken seriously as journalists. 

• Like 1

No, I'm pretty sure he said:

*snort*

what is it 'bout the internet that it breeds this curious mentality that the obsidans and inxiles owe the nameless and faceless mob details o' their business, but when such businesses ask for the most innocuous level o' reciprocity (name and email) from those who intend to print interviews, we is treated to public displays o' bitter mewling and anguished hair rending. 

if codex had provided the requested info and inxile still wouldn't allow the interview, then we would understand sensuki's public pity party.  

HA! Good Fun!

Not that I'm defending the Codex, couldn't care less about them, but the way Gromnir has been spinning it makes it sound like InExile just wanted to know who they were talking to, which certainly doesn't seem to be the case.

• Like 2

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Anyone even passably familiar with the codex would know that if there is a 'publisher' or 'editor' to be contacted it would be Greg Martin of Greg Martin Enterprises, renowned Mensa member and general coding god (only 2 microissues remain with the forums!). As for why they wanted to contact Infinitron, I suspect the main reason is that they wanted a refusal on record in case the codex asked for its $5k donation back so they could show 'unreasonableness'. Given Techland's record telling them to asterisk off was the only sensible option. They're basically a death spiral JoWood/ Herve Caen Interplay tier publisher.

If the Codex were serious journalists Grommie could only have a beef with Sensuki because of his soggy knees and the codex because he hates freedom of speech, Techland would want Infinitron's details because of anti semitism, and the interview could only have been cancelled because Bubbles is a well known african american ex drug addict from Baltimore.

• Like 3

No, I'm pretty sure he said:

*snort*

HA! Good Fun!

Not that I'm defending the Codex, couldn't care less about them, but the way Gromnir has been spinning it makes it sound like InExile just wanted to know who they were talking to, which certainly doesn't seem to be the case.

we got no idea what is details other than what sensuki provided.  he noted that codex were asked for name and email and etc, but didn't elaborate when we asked if the info requested were more intrusive.  did they wanna subpeona?  would be jackarse stoopid to act surprised that an interview were cancelled if a codexian editor is hiding behind anonymity to avoid legal action, no?

even so, we can only respond to sensuki and the info he provides, 'cause we sure ain't interested enough to dig for info.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

They asked for the personal information of the person who made the posts after they cancelled the Gamescom interview. Infinitron had nothing to do with the Gamescom interview.

I mean, that's pretty clear isn't it? and renders

would be jackarse stoopid to act surprised that an interview were cancelled if a codexian editor is hiding behind anonymity to avoid legal action, no?

impossible without access to a time machine. They can't cancel because of something that happens after the cancellation has already been made.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 2

But that is also why the Codex , like the vast majority of gaming sites, should never be taken seriously, and nor should journalists. 

I believe the meme is, "Fixed that for you." You're welcome.

Causality is overrated.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

yeah, 'cause they can't cancel pending the release o' the desired info.  isn't as if these things ain't scheduled months in advance.  whole thing sounds absolute idiotic.  not to provide limited identity info to a corporate entity from whom you is requesting interviews is jackarse stoopid. one thing sensuki got right it seems is that the timing is largely irrelevant.  

sarex suggest some kinda subpoena situation is occurring, which makes even more ridiculous.  why did they cancel our complete unrelated interview?  well perhaps the legal action they is taking 'gainst one o' your editors could explain that quirky behavior... but again, is all second and third and perhaps four or more people removed from whatever is the actual truth.

HA! Good Fun!

ps and  in case some is missing, is sensuki who added the info 'bout the request for identifying info from codex regarding infiltron. sensuki obvious thought that nugget were relevant to his story.  sure, perhaps he didn't realize the significance, but try and ignore?  bad.

Edited by Gromnir

But that is also why the Codex , like the vast majority of gaming sites, should never be taken seriously, and nor should journalists. 

I believe the meme is, "Fixed that for you." You're welcome.

Causality is overrated.

doesn't look fixed.  not take a person serious simple 'cause they is a journalist would be a bit curious.  is any number o' journalists we take serious.  am betting there is journalists hurl takes serious.  one would expect that there is journalists that nonek takes serious in spite o' his fix. that being said, is clear no reason to take somebody serious just 'cause they claim to be a journalist.  the internet has spawned a blogging culture that has diluted what were once journalism.  is particular tough considering how little the more respectable print journalists actual get paid.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Reporter,_Newspaper/Salary

we take journalists as serious as their work demands.  bad journalists, which is the norm 'mongst so-called gaming journalists, deserve little respect.  others?  

http://www.cjr.org/analysis/the_best_and_worst_journalism_of_2015.php

is good and bad.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

Well, I suppose it is nice that they are giving refunds to people with petty complaints.   :thumbsup:

These complaints, are they more or less petty than blacklisting a site for raising a stink about your PC-exclusive console release?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

The stated reason they blacklisted the codex was for mentioning they'd be at a popular games convention before it was official though, not for spitting the dummy at the console release. Realistically they'd probably let it slide if there was any prospect of the codex being positive towards Torment, certainly.

The publisher involvement- and that specific publisher- and associated console guff would certainly have meant no money from me at the kickstarter so I certainly don't think a refund request is unreasonable. Probably won't ask for one myself though.

Kind of ironic really, Infinitron was primarily responsible for codex going mainstream(ish) and actively courting publishers and developers yet he's the stated reason for a blacklisting.

Edited by Zoraptor

stated by whom? sensuki has provided sketchy details and we clear has not followed this silliness elsewhere.

how were interview set up, and with whom? letter? email? phone call? who were parties to setting up the interview? when were interview set-up?  when and where (specific) were interview scheduled to take place? any specific provisos regarding possible cancellations communicated at time interview were set up? how were interview canceled?  when, specific? who communicated cancellation and to whom were cancellation communicated? email? phone call. snail mail?  were reason given for cancellation?  what, if any, were reason provided for cancellation? specific. did codex respond to the cancellation? how did codex respond?  who at codex responded? there were a request for personal info from infiltron, yes?  when? who specific requested? how were such a request communicated?  to whom were request communicated?  how did codex respond? who at codex actual responded? 

etc.

there is folks telling us what were reasons for cancellation, but nothing in quotes as we would expect. am not seeing dates or specific names or anything we would expect from folks confident that they been done wrong.  simple oversight?  possible.  in our experience, folks screwed over loves to give details. gotta pull teeth to get info from shady... not our board shady, but non-specific sketchy shady characters.

sensuki's reasons (transparent as they may be,) is largely irrelevant.  if some genuine wrong were done to codex, then the wrong should be communicated fully, and with supporting evidence.  

HA! Good Fun!

The stated reason they blacklisted the codex was for mentioning they'd be at a popular games convention before it was official though, not for spitting the dummy at the console release. Realistically they'd probably let it slide if there was any prospect of the codex being positive towards Torment, certainly.

The publisher involvement- and that specific publisher- and associated console guff would certainly have meant no money from me at the kickstarter so I certainly don't think a refund request is unreasonable. Probably won't ask for one myself though.

Kind of ironic really, Infinitron was primarily responsible for codex going mainstream(ish) and actively courting publishers and developers yet he's the stated reason for a blacklisting.

The reception of the beta was not negative, from memory. I don't really think it had much to do with what the Codex thought of the PC version of the game.

It could have been largely Techland's doing and this is the first title they have published. If it was them, they're showing their clear inexperience at it, that's for sure. However inXile also did not intervene either, so as tuluse said on their official forums - "message received".

As for you gromnir, you're just up to your usual tricks and are selectively ignoring information. Anyone can see through that, and I'm not replying to you further in this thread.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

funny. when we ask for specifics, Then you sudden become taciturn? 

*chuckle*

HA! Good Fun!

The PR agency stated in their first email to the interviewers "don't worry we haven't blacklisted you guys". My interpretation is they were referring to their own company's future events.

Edited by Sensuki

Is not granting an interview considered blacklisting?

It was granted, then rescinded. That's a bit different than passively being ignored it's, uh, 'actively' being ignored.

(Cancelling is a more accurate term than blacklisting though, without a pattern to judge by)

• Like 2

You guys do realize that this is possibly the most brazen cash grab on nostalgia yet? InXile, a studio that has not made a single good game in its existence appropriating the name Torment to make something else entirely.

Its gonna be a worse flop than Wasteland 2.

I am legitimately stumped that people give Brian Fargo money. 

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I am giving them a chance this time based on the people involved in the game. I didn't back Wasteland 2 with much money. Gave more to this because I know the whole put Torment in the title thing going on.

From what I played in the beta, this game will at the very least be good.