Torment: Tides of Numero Uno

Blarghagh

Also, console gamers usually don't like very complex games (tbh, a lot of PC gamers don't like them as well, but there is more market for those games on the PC), and by complexity I mean the systems and combat but also the quest and world design (quest compass, easy solutions to every problem, no "punishments" for making bad choices), so if they want the game to be successful on console they need to take that into account of course.

One can actually die during character creation if you screw up enough. Somehow I doubt they're going to remake the entire game just to appease the console peasants over the master race.  :w00t: 

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Even though I am not pleased about their decision to put their resources to port these games to consoles (because I would like them put those resources to make more PC games), but at least they don't put money the got from backers to make those ports. In other words backers paid development of PC version and publishers paid porting said games to consoles.

You know that for sure? 

If he doesn't, I sure do - the crowdfunding money and then some (as with WL2, we put in significant funds of our own) was spent on making Torment for PC. No backer money is being spent on the port.

Also, console gamers usually don't like very complex games (tbh, a lot of PC gamers don't like them as well, but there is more market for those games on the PC), and by complexity I mean the systems and combat but also the quest and world design (quest compass, easy solutions to every problem, no "punishments" for making bad choices), so if they want the game to be successful on console they need to take that into account of course.

One can actually die during character creation if you screw up enough. Somehow I doubt they're going to remake the entire game just to appease the console peasants over the master race.  :w00t:

That's the nice things for fans here - we jumped into early access quite a while ago now, all our backers can play that PC game, with all its walls of text, hard choice & consequence and PC-specific interface. Obviously we're not going to change any of the game's content for the PC port, and even if you're not wont to take a dev's word for that, you can simply play the game and confirm for yourself. Kinda comforting!

Edited by Brother None
  • Like 4

inXile line producer

Yes but how does one get rid of that console smell that will inevitably taint our playthroughs?

On a more serious note, i'm obviously not bothered about the console port. If I were a console player I might be due to the late announcement and the usual issues with ports going either way, however i'm not so I don't care.

What might (emphasise the might) be a problem is what feedback is accrued from the console port, and whether that will be used to affect the next iteration of PC games. Take other series that have ported to console and significantly deteriorated in some aspects in the next iteration, for instance the Witcher 2 which was so very obviously designed with gamepad and console in mind, even though it ported later, and abandoned a lot of basic functionality and elegant design that elevated the first game. It did not make Assassins of Kings a bad game, however it spoiled my enjoyment somewhat, and made playthrough sometimes a chore rather than a pleasure.

I personally think this is a legitimate worry for any consumer, as we have probably all been burned by poor ports and ill implemented design at some time, and Kickstarter was supposed to empower the making of games for those of us who are a little sick of that particular publisher foible. Indeed some Kickstarter pitches promised a focus only on producing what the backers had asked for, though of course as we all know the best plan only remains relevant until it meets reality.

• Like 5

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

To be fair tho, by heavily moving into console territory, most games doing so have lost their old consumer base and gained a new one - either that or the old consumer base continued playing it for different reasons. Often times that was part of the point - to open up those games to wider audience. However, currently, opening up to wider audience by similar changes would mean that those games are going to directly compete with games of Mass Effect caliber (for better or worse) for their place in the world as opposed to the current state where I'd wager the niche market for oldchool RPGs is not yet quite saturated, in spite of the sheer amount of them coming out over the past few years.

I guess what I'm saying is that by moving away from traditional design, indie studios would be forced to directly compete with the "big boys" and would probably lose their old fanbase and not really gain a new one. I don't see it making much sense for them to move away from what they have right now. That's why I wouldn't worry about console ports too much - especially since it does seem like PC versions make them significantly more money than console ones.

Actually, I like the camera in WL2. It's certainly less cumbersome than the camera in the initial D:OS release. But perhaps it's an issue for smaller displays?

I've got a 24" display, but felt that I really needed several of them around me (like the master in Fallout 1), with a chaos granted huge contracting eyeball grafted to the back of my head and a series of tentacles moving the monitors around - as my face twitched and spasmed between them like the super fast shifting of head and face that occurs in horror films...

...if I had any chance of following the camera in that game.  I thought it was poorly done.

• 2 weeks later...

Jolly decent of them. I assume the rage over at the Codex is vibrant, self sustaining and memeful?

Have to say that Divinity 2 preview with Sven was very informative, excellent piece of journalism, and far more in depth than the usual articles. Keep it up chaps.

Edit: A pity really that Inxile chose not to benefit from such a thorough grilling as Larian, who came off looking like devs who are enormously consumer friendly and enthusiastic about their product, very good publicity. Still least said, soonest mended what.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Yeah, thread is here: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/codex-torment-gamescom-appointment-cancelled.110327/

Summary:

Bubbles and JarlFrank (who wrote excellent pieces from last year's GamesCom) had their appointment cancelled by inXile/Techland on August 11th because of some posts Infinitron made on the forums on July 19th, stating that there would be a Torment presentation at Gamescom, possibly featuring new areas. inXile announced they were attending Gamescom some days after the posts were made, but the cancellation came about 3 weeks later, a few days before Gamescom.

The PR agency also asked for Infinitron's personal information - name, email address etc, Codex staff declined to give it.

As far as we are aware, the information that there was going to be a Torment presentation at Gamescom was not confidential / under NDA. The information they received stated that the information about the console release was strictly confidential / under NDA and said nothing about the presentation itself.

I posted something worse than that about the Pillars of Eternity pre-release press version, and merely was asked to remove some information from a post on NEOGaf by Brandon Adler. That was it. 

Staff members have tried to contact inXile, Techland and the PR Agency further to try and clarify the issue, but all three parties have been completely silent. Posts asking about it on their facebook pages have been deleted. 

I complained and asked for a refund because of it and was given one, but the support staff member who answered my email didn't mention why, just that it was approved. 

It either seems like a really bad PR failure on inXile's behalf or they may have invented the reason to stonewall the Codex due to the poor reception of the console release announcement on our forums. It's a very strange occurrence though because their peers Obsidian and (in particular) Larian are very receptive to our community, despite moderate negativity towards their games.

It is true that Infinitron probably shouldn't have said anything, but is it worth cancelling an interview and stonewalling (possibly blacklisting?) our entire community over?

Edited by Sensuki

having given interviews, we suspect that refusal to provide name, email and other simple info would be a deal breaker for us.  "señor p00pypants" might be a famous nom de guerre for an internet personality, but am not gonna waste our time if an interviewer can't even provide basic personal info. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

It's just weird that people get so worked up over interviews.  Do any other industries do this?  It's hard to imagine people refusing to watch a movie or read a book because Entertainment Weekly didn't get an interview in.

I don't pay for interviews, I pay for the game.

It's just weird that people get so worked up over interviews.  Do any other industries do this?  It's hard to imagine people refusing to watch a movie or read a book because Entertainment Weekly didn't get an interview in.

Well movie or book is much cheaper

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

having given interviews, we suspect that refusal to provide name, email and other simple info would be a deal breaker for us.  "señor p00pypants" might be a famous nom de guerre for an internet personality, but am not gonna waste our time if an interviewer can't even provide basic personal info. 

HA! Good Fun!

I think you might be misinterpreting something here.

Well movie or book is much cheaper

Not really, Sensuki pledged $20.

HA! Good Fun!

I think you might be misinterpreting something here.

"The PR agency also asked for Infinitron's personal information - name, email address etc, Codex staff declined to give it."

can't give basic info o' the guy posting the interviews and releasing info to the public? no interviews with codex would be the predictable outcome, no? 

regardless, to respond to hurl, folks become as emotional invested in their fan and review sites as they does with a game.  game is played a couple dozen hours and often forgotten.  a game site, on the other hand, can be visited daily for years.  a slight or injustice done unto _______ can be far more significant to the gamer than is the actual quality o' the game.  we got a prime example (or two) o' that mentality posting in this thread. 

HA! Good Fun!

*edit* weird double-post... kinda

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

They asked for the personal information of the person who made the posts after they cancelled the Gamescom interview. Infinitron had nothing to do with the Gamescom interview.

Not really, Sensuki pledged $20.

Nah I pledged more, but apparently since I redeemed my Torment Alpha and Beta keys they were unable to re-imburse those.

Edited by Sensuki

infiltron is the guy "publishing" the interviews.  if misinformation is presented, am wanting to have the name and info o' the guy publishing.  and "publish" don't mean he needs get hard copies on his brother copier and send out to dozens o' folks.  simple posting at codex counts as "publish."

am recalling that chris avellone noted at least once that codex misrepresented his comments during an interview.  it happens, often complete by accident and w/o malice.  the thing is, if such kinda stuff happens, one is Not contacting codex to discuss with infiltron or sensuki or whomever.  am gonna get names and real info, or the relationship ends.

HA! Good Fun!

Personally i'd have thought the Codex would have been crowing about the incident, affirm their reputation of being the ninth hell of game discussion, bearing blacklistings with honour.

Exiled by InXile, is quite the catchphrase however.

• Like 1

Tea for the teapot!

Articles can and are 'published' by a number of staff. It's besides the point/focusing on wrong detail.

Personally i'd have thought the Codex would have been crowing about the incident, affirm their reputation of being the ninth hell of game discussion, bearing blacklistings with honour.

I'm sure people would love the satisfaction of hearing that from a developer's mouth, but most aren't so careless.

Edited by Sensuki

agreed. am not certain that mewling over the petty injustice is the best way to sell the hardcore nature o' the codex.  am s'posing that the codex has a few drama queens, but give inXile one o' their demeaning poster tags woulda' been a better way to go we s'pose.  what is vol's tag at codex? 

HA! Good Fun!

Articles can and are 'published' by a number of staff. It's besides the point/focusing on wrong detail.

articles is published by a number o' staff indeed.  makes worse for codex, not better. you give 'em the personal info for those capable o' publishing?  insulating anonymity o' the internet is swell and all for the codex, but is less amusing to publishers and developers.

to you it is a wrong detail. a reasonable request for info were made to codex and it were not provided.  if you think inXile had no reason to demand such info, then take a stand such as you did.  good on you all.  even so, can't act all that shocked and surprised when inXile chooses not to grant interviews when codex don't provide basic info.

HA! Good Fun!

I know you know better than that. I highly doubt they asked for all RPGWatch editor personal information ;)

have no idea.  do you?  am guessing that the rpgwatch (never been to the site) news editor, if they have one, would be enough to satisfy. has rpg watch ever misquoted or misrepresented inxile?  regardless, it were a reasonable request to ask for info.  codex didn't provide. don't really have much cause to complain at that point.

HA! Good Fun!

ps and name and email is hardly an NSA-level intrusion, is it?  did inxile also request social security, mother's maiden name, city o' birth?

Edited by Gromnir