Torment: Tides of Numero Uno

Blarghagh

new article by RPS

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/01/25/torment-tides-of-numenera-beta/

this is shaping awesomely

as the reviewer notes, torment's numenera is a much more colorful place than were ps:t's sigil and the planes.

"torment is feeling much like ps:t, without the ubiquitous gray infused color palette... which we inexplicable miss. (minor aside: in spite o' having new engine and updated visuals, we preferred the ps:t aesthetic.  torment is a bit more eclectic than were ps:t, which ain't bad, but the art o' ps:t more effective enhanced mood.)"

as an aside, am thinking mike morgan, who also is known for the fallouts as well as ps:t, might not have been our choice o' composer for torment.  the torment music is very similar to what we got in ps:t, and the atmosphere it creates is kinda in contrast with the visuals, but am betting most would disagree with us.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

From what I've seen torment suffers from low-res assets, poor lighting and uneven art direction (even leaving aside the unfinished, or shall we say "please get rid of the entire thing and start over" UI), recalling some of WL2's ugliness rather than POE. PST was highly focused in its visual delivery. 

Don't have beta and am happy to avoid spoilers, but my main hopes for the game lie with how they make systems like Effort, the plot, and the setting fit together to create quirky encounters. I don't expect a Tormentlike story but there's plenty they've said about the world and the castoff etc that seem interesting.

• Like 1

Seems weird to me to claim the lighting in Torment looks bad when all the areas I've seen look consistently superior to PoE in terms of lighting and VFX (granted, Torment can kinda plaster sci-fi effects over every area to make them look lively because that's how their art direction rolls). I do agree that some of the areas I've seen look inconsistent (I'm looking especially at the area immediately after the tutorial and before Sagus Cliffs), but then again, PoE has areas with lower resolution/sparse assets too, and the repetition was far more obvious due to the abundant amount of maps.

• 3 months later...

Anyone knows anything about the quality of the game, release time etc?

I still have it on my wishlist, but not sure if I should keep it there.

If you liked Wasteland 2 and Planescape Torment, you will probably love this.  I would expect the quality to be right in line with Wasteland 2.  I think it comes out this year.

• 2 weeks later...

I backed this but I have no early access key. I have to wait until the official release. From what I've read here so far, it seems to be ok-ish. 

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Kind of tired of not knowing release date yet, or did I missed it?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

• 4 weeks later...

Q1 2017? omg

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

it's been so long since we had any news of it that i had forgotten it even exists

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Beta open to all backers.

Release date pushed back to Q1 2017.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/1598831

Worth playing yet?

am not having played with the newest improvements.  that being said, we thought the initial beta were already worth playing... though similar to majek, our plan were to not play again 'til release.  given the list o' changes, we will likely run through the beta once more so that we can be giving useful feedback.  the beta we played were clear needing work, but on the positive end o' the spectrum, we do not feel as if the content we were exposed to ruined the game for us. will play again to be offering final thoughts to developers.

admitted, many o' the early criticisms we saw adopted by the group-think regarding the torment beta at various sites were perplexing to us.  too much 'signposting'?  

*snort*

our personal gripes regarding the game were either unavoidable or unfixable.  we were annoyed by the lack o' character development we were seeing in the beta.  'course the game is clear meant to be similarly character driven as were ps:t, so the fact that the developers has avoided major spoilage is hardly surprising.  we found a few o' the minor npcs to be mildly intriguing, but it appeared (hopeful?) that the developers were purposeful keeping major character development to a minimum in the beta release, and we expect that inxile will continue to hold their characters close to the vest until release.  so, largely unavoidable on character paucity?  

sadly, our other concern were largely unfixable-- the aesthetic did not match the theme.  torment is clear a close cousin to ps:t in terms o' thematic focus. in spite o' that fact, the world o' torment is a relative bright and inviting place. am not sure if we would go so far as to describe setting as "cheerful," but the setting and aesthetic is definite not evoking images and feels o' torment.  regardless, am suspecting that by the time the beta were released, it were far too late to do major changes to the look and feel o' the game.  so, unfixable regarding aesthetic.

unless something major has changed with the new beta content, we would recommend playing only if your genuine intent to do so is to be offering feedback 'bout bugs, interfaces, combats n' such.  torment, as a game purposeful meant to evoke parallels to ps:t, will succeed or fail based on how well the story is told... with a particular focus on character.  am having a hard time believing that you is gonna see any further meaningful character development pre-release, and regardless, would you genuine wish for more character development in a beta? 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I totally forgot this game exists. Also now that I've remembered, I also remember Avellone was writing a novella about Wasteland 2- did they ever release this thing? /Edit: Last news about it was 2 years ago.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I'll wait for release before i run it again. :D

BUt ... who is their secret publisher partner? :o

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/274721/Techland_Publishing_and_inXile_Entertainment_Sign_GlobalPublishing_Deal_for_Torment_Tides_of_Numenera.php

Who??

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

• 1 month later...

They have mentioned Q1 2017

I still havent played Pillars of Eternity .....I need to play it before this game gets released 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

So apparently the game will have a console release now too.

After the flops of Wasteland and Divinity on consoles that's very surprising.

Where did you get that information?  These games don't need to sell a huge amount of units to make it profitable, they just need to cover the costs of porting.  

Divinity apparently moved 900k units on the consoles.

Edited by Hurlshot