[301] Favorite Fixes

Matt516

Thought that since we typically just talk about the things that are still wrong, newly wrong, or just wrong in each build, it'd be good to have a thread detailing fixes we really like in each new build. Not to say that constructive criticism isn't good - IMO it's 90% of what we should be doing. I know I'll have a huge list of pet peeves, bug reports, etc coming over the weekend. ;)

That said! Let's take a few seconds to mention the fixes we really liked. Even if it's just little things. I'm sure the dev team has been working very hard to get all these implemented, so let's give them a bit of a pat on the back. I'll start:

1. BB Fighter no longer shaves his manly beard when donning his helmet
  2. The health status "pips" look much more fitting with the general art style of the game now
  3. The math in the combat log mouseovers makes sense now!
Edited by Matt516
  • Like 9

Enemies seem to have much sensible defense values. 

New AI gives better feeling in combat.

Single hand weapons are yet again viable options to use.

Wizards spells feel powerful but not overpowered, which is nice.

New stealth feels better than previous iteration because there is more excitement in it and you can try fool hardly bypass attempts.

Chanter summons vanish after fight, which is good as previously they were the ultimate choice.

Rogue seems to hit sneak attacks as they should hit them, which made them interesting choice for me.

New talents are interesting and offer new build options.

Lowered defenses made fighter feel quite powerful damage dealer.

Poorer tactics don't seem to eat health in such speed as they did previously.

• Like 2

Some things I like so far:

- Combat feels much better. It's improving.

- Enemies don't sprint across the screen.

- Enemies have arrows showing who they attack. (Awesome)

- Fighter is doing a lot of damage. Even more damage than my Rogue with Sneak attack.

- New power / spell icons for the characters look great.

- Stealth filling up the characters circles look better than the placeholder rings from previous builds.

- Footsteps.

- Feedback is a lot better and clearer in the dialogue box.

- Less trash mobs in Dyrford Crossing.

- Autosave with leaving/entering new areas. (Awesome)

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II
  • Like 3

Just to chime in with some similar sentiments:

1. Stealth is worlds better. It is much more deterministic and strategic now. I actually use it now!

2. Combat feedback is much, much better. Now I know if my characters have their actions and spells queued up, and it's also more clear who is engaging who. Combat also just feels snappier, too.

3. I love love love seeing targets highlighted in AoE effects. I also love that abilities/spells now clearly have "Foe/Friend/Hazard" prefixes for their AoE and is it just me or are the AoE boosts from Intellect party-friendly?

4. Beetles now actually burrow and travel through the ground instead of teleporting around. Thank the maker!

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

The biggest issue I had with the precedent version is now fixed: combat feedback. They added a lot of Ui work on that, plus effects, hit vfx, sounds. I can now fully understand what's going on, even if I don't know what half of the characters' powers do!

• Like 1

1669_planescape_torment-prev.png

Combat feedback still has a fair way to go, it has not been fixed. It has been improved a bit though.

They need a recovery and idle stance and targeting reticles most importantly.

Edited by Sensuki

That's because they've fixed the Combat HUD, it now shows when a character has no action.

That's not going to cut it for those people that play with the combat hud disabled though (such as expert mode players). As soon as they add in different stances, I am always turning it off.

Love the new Godlike head models. Especially the Death Godlikes. Moon and fire Godlikes look so much beter with hair. Super props to the modelers. Death Godlikes when from "okay" to favourite Godlike models. Is it me or do Orlan have better eyes in general? They seem clearer than I remember. (Aumauma still need texture clarity though. Yes, ill never stop with this.)

Combat arrows are really great. Helps with the clairty a butload. We are missing ranged combat arrows though. Make them dotted or a bit more transparent/thiner than the others if tyou think they would block things out. And Ill reiterate that I disagree with us needing more combat feedback, its combat CLARITY we need. Lets not overwhelm the screen with information here when games like BG didnt have any feedback beyond the priests and mages casting spells and the effects of those spells and worked just fine (even if rudimentary and obtuse at times).

Combat in general feels much more understandable and I can see what everyone is doing. The ability/spell icons in the above-head bars are a really great help. Now I feel like interrupt spells and abilities are really valuable.

Medreth fight is much MUCH harder. Did he have a priest before? He sure does now (those ability icons sure help with enemy recognition. Cant praise them enough)! And hes level 8 now because he has Deep Wounds. I always found this fight triial, now its a proper challenge, as all adventurer group combats should be imo. Very much enjoyed it

Combat log is great. Feels a bit tutti frutti but its great.

New ability icons look great.

New invenotry screen is much better.

Closing Crafting or Enchanting menu doesnt close inventory. Im very thankfull for this.

Could you access stash in town before? I dont think you could. Im not sure anymore. You cant access it in the wilderness which is sorta fine but I cant remember if you could in town. If this is a change its a welcome one.

New stealth is pretty nice. Though it seems you can abuse "pulling" single enemies more now. Still wish we had individual stealth. Also, New Stealth movement animation. Very nice. though with sincronized movements it looks like everyone is dancing in a Michael Jackson music video.

• Like 1

- Fighter is doing a lot of damage. Even more damage than my Rogue with Sneak attack.

- Stealth filling up the characters circles look better than the placeholder rings from previous builds.

- Footsteps.

I'm all for the Fighter being improved upon as he totally stunk before but how could this be something you would be on board with/like?

The rogues purpose is supposed to be as a damage dealer and if he can't out damage a self proclaimed 'front liner' then wtf is going on and why make a rogue at all?

Was surprised at how much I enjoyed the gibs. Not something I'm generally crazy about but it did give an extra "oomph" to the combat, which it needs, and every bit helps.

Footsteps, yay! Maybe a bit too loud on the Inn floor? Not sure.

This was the one backer version where I'm actually starting to get really excited to play the final game. Can't wait.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

- Footsteps.

I'm all for the Fighter being improved upon as he totally stunk before but how could this be something you would be on board with/like?

The rogues purpose is supposed to be as a damage dealer and if he can't out damage a self proclaimed 'front liner' then wtf is going on and why make a rogue at all?

The rogue has the exact same base accuracy has the fighter (25), it has abilities that deal damage (fighter does not) and it can exploit sneak attacks to deal more damage. The only case where the rogue will deal less damages than a fighter is if you give him/her low damage weapons and fail at sneak attack/using active abilities.

• Like 1

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Love the new Godlike head models. Especially the Death Godlikes. Moon and fire Godlikes look so much beter with hair. Super props to the modelers. Death Godlikes when from "okay" to favourite Godlike models. Is it me or do Orlan have better eyes in general? They seem clearer than I remember. (Aumaua still need texture clarity though. Yes, ill never stop with this.)

New head models? Godlike with hair? Why am I not seeing these on mine?

Also, the Aumaua do need a whole redo so that they appear more akin to the portraits of them, which look fantastic. Anyone know why one of the Aumaua portraits has a beard when we can't make one with a beard?

The rogue has the exact same base accuracy has the fighter (25), it has abilities that deal damage (fighter does not) and it can exploit sneak attacks to deal more damage. The only case where the rogue will deal less damages than a fighter is if you give him/her low damage weapons and fail at sneak attack/using active abilities.

The rogue is pretty bad at sneak attack. Here's a screen shot where my Rogue does 6 damage with a Hit (Not a graze) with Sneak Attack.

Due to the enemy's AoE, I let my party auto attack because I had no idea who they were attacking or where they were. I was even surprised my Rogue sneak attacked because I had no idea where she was in the fight. And was like WTF when she only did 6 damage. :lol:

I also left my Fighter and Cipher lie on the ground because a) I had no idea where they were and b) my other characters were killing the enemies on auto attack so I just watched on in amusement.

VDZwwUM.jpg

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II

The rogue is pretty bad at sneak attack. Here's a screen shot where my Rogue does 6 damage with a Hit (Not a graze) with Sneak Attack.

Sneak Attack add 25% damage after damage is calculated if I remember properly. That's 25% more damage than the Fighter would do with the same weapon(s) and might score for the same target.

Edited by morhilane
  • Like 1

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.