New build feedback

Headbomb

The new character highlighting looks like total crap, like i mean it’s just atrocious....If that gets implemented give people the option to turn it off....Not sure I understand what’s so bad with just having the selection circles below the selected characters...

I really doubt this is going to be the final implementation of it in any case,

• Like 1

As such abilities triggering on a graze seems like a perfectly valid mechanic to me, after all a graze could be anything from the weapon just brushing skin or armour to a superficial scratch they draws a little bit of blood (paper cut like) they're all more than close enough to do some damage.

Nope.

DEF means how hard you are to get hit.

DT means how much of the damage actually penetrates IF you get hit.

However, as it is currently, it's mostly down to luck if you get hit/grazed (because of the calculation, the d100 matters way more than your stats).

And DT doesn't absorb all damage. Someone grazing you for very little damage against a DT of 15, will still damage you a little, and the effect will trigger.

An easy solution would be to remove minimum damage on graze/hit and allow full DT to absorb damage. That way, only IF you get grazed/hit AND the damage still manages to penetrate the armor, would you get the triggering effect.

Accuracy as a spell mechanic seems fine depending on what the spell is for things like magic missiles it makes sense, while for AOE spells with out a single vector for damage (ie cloud/gas spells) it makes less sense.

For some touch/range spells sure, why not, bit like D&D system but there's barely any.

For the rest, I strongly disagree. Spells are limited resources which are meant to be used when you need them. Having them use the same system as auto attacks means that most of the time when you actually need them, you'll probably just miss, because if you don't miss, they you probably didn't need them in the first place, your auto attack dudes being enough.

For example, Pillar of Faith is something a Priest would use when you really need a KD because tactically the situation calls for it. If it can fail all the bloody time and is not in the least reliable, then it's not a resource you'll want to use. All in all, that means classes with non ACC based resources will be way better overall, since more reliable, which is what you'd expect from a limited resources.

• Like 1

I like this build a lot! The number of trash enemies has been reduced to a more acceptable level. I know Sensuki misses the "fun" beetle fight, but I'm glad the number of foes has been reduced. The game seems more responsive and the highlighting of characters was very useful in combat. The attributes are better and overall I am really liking this new build.

Good job guys!

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

• Effects triggering on graze is also bull****. Effects should ONLY trigger on hit and critical hits, not grazes.
  •  

Regarding on-hit effects on weapons and creatures' natural weapons:

Hopefully, for two-stage attacks (deflection --> defense #2) like most on-hit effects should work I believe, a graze on deflection should drastically weaken the secondary attack roll (against fortitude or will).

People keep saying that the number of "trash enemies" was reduced but I had 6 wolves after the update in the ruin (one was an elder wolf too) which is more than I usually encountered there and there was as many beetles as in v278 at the entrance of the crossing for me.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

I like this build a lot! The number of trash enemies has been reduced to a more acceptable level. I know Sensuki misses the "fun" beetle fight

Good job guys!

Do you play on Hard?

All they needed to do was MOVE the encounter further back, not REMOVE enemies

People keep saying that the number of "trash enemies" was reduced but I had 6 wolves after the update in the ruin (one was an elder wolf too) which is more than I usually encountered there and there was as many beetles as in v278 at the entrance of the crossing for me.

I actually complained about that encounter being too pissy, so blame me for that possibly? They also added in more loot there as well.

Edited by Sensuki

There's less trash mobs if you take the optimal route with avoiding fights and it's a lot easier fighting one beetle at a time instead of four. I don't fight wolves.

One more thing we still need: individual stealth.

Also I'm pretty sure I only spot hidden items while stealthed? That's kinda weird.

Damn the new engagement UI is so useful! Very easy to understand what's going on in the melee.

I agree. Without it, engagement is obnoxious to track. This is an elegant solution.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I disagree, I think it's clumsy as.

Well, I feel it's probably the best thing they could do with it, without going overboard. The arrows are small and have an animation/color that is very easy to spot. I can see improvements happen, but the general idea is fantastic imho.

1669_planescape_torment-prev.png

I don't, sure it allows you to see who's engaging who but it's very intrusive and could easily be handled in a more IE style, probably with an on mouse hover/on selection floor indicator rather than a rotating arrow.

I removed the code from my game, that's how much I disliked it.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 4

Different UI elements for backer npcs is a HUGE nope for me. It's incredibly immersion breaking. This should be at the very least a toggle in the options menu.

Eh, I don't have any fear they will, or that it will stay as such till release.

I too liked the engagement UI. It's not intrusive at all. Though I thought it only shows when you mouse over a combatant? I would like it to only show when I need it to, and that would be during mouse-over. 

• Like 1

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html