Sensuki's Suggestions #020: Inventory Mockup v2

Sensuki

This is great. Much better than what's in right now regardless of how many slots a character has. Well done!

• Like 1

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Yea OE has spoken, and said they don't want -drop items on ground- because of save loading problems and - you have a stash so who needs - drop items on ground-  WHAT! that's so stupid! i mean wont having piles and piles or armor weapons and items in the stash slow down the game? i mean whats the point of a inventory system at all?   thats just weird to me that something so simple is being removed. :banghead:

ctn2003 I think you are aproaching the problem from the wrong angle, over-worrying about simple issues and misinterpreting the situation.

For starters items on the ground and items on your stash are not the same processing-wise afaik.

Relax, its not as bad as you think it is, if at all.

• Like 1

Having piles of stuff in the stash shouldn't cause slowdown unless there is something very, very wrong with the way the stash is coded. More items in the game world, on the other hand, could eventually cause slowdown.

Not that I don't think we shouldn't have a drop option (though I can understand why they didn't include it and I'm ok with it if we can still get rid of stuff in the stash somehow)... but slowdown from large piles of stuff in the stash should not be a concern.

Edited by Matt516

Looks good in general, although that gigantic group inventory could get a little disorienting when it starts to fill up. There's got to be some way to section it so it's not just an endless plateau.

It's tabbed. I'm not a 2D artist so I didn't make proper tab art, but items would be sorted and tabbed by type.

Tabs are great, but my experience has been that once inventory really starts to fill up, they eventually prove inadequate, because you're sorting through a hundred items or more (for reference, this is one of the virtues of limited, IE-and-NWN-style inventory - it forces you to get rid of things). I had this problem with DA:O, and that was with a list view. I think the issue will be aggravated if the default item view only shows an icon, and not the item's names.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Suggestion: Draw a square around DEF, Fort, Ref, Will. Call it Defense. Make it clear that those stats are defense related. That way if a spell, a scroll, or potion enhanced your def, fort, ref and will by 10 just call it + 10 to all defense. We will know instinctively what is about.

• Like 1

I'm really warming to Hormalakh's design. The more I see it, the more I like it. The inventory really needs an overhaul and hope we see some changes. It'd be good for a dev to come into the thread and let us look at some of the designs they've come up with. Even better would be update the beta patch with one of these suggestions like Hormalakh's for us to try out. Looking at it as a mock up doesn't beat the real thing with playing it in the game. We need to feel it in action. lets see what works and what doesn't. There may be things that look good in the mock-up but doesn't work as we thought it would in the game. If it can be improved upon, then lets improve upon it.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II

Hormalakh's design is very ambitious, and I reckon, he's a hit a homerun here! :thumbsup:

The only criticisms I can think of:

-That column with portraits: The portrait selected, which marks which character that has all her/his stuff showing, needs to stand out more in some way or the other.

-I still reckon the invo items are too small - I wan't slightly larger icons (this has nothing to do with Hormalakh's design, though)

-While cool, using those Sistine Chapel-hands, I don't think it's clear enough what they do. How about an arrow pointing to a mini-version of the stash icon, and the other being a drop item symbol, and lastly, no need for a use item icon. Instead, you need to click it up, and then press a use item-button on that interface, or identify item, like in the IE games.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

For the most part I am okay with the redesign except for a few problems.  First the boxes are too close together and clustered, scale it back, put some spacing in there.  The character portraits should be aligned from left to right right beneath where it says "stash", not top to bottom.  Since you have no drop options, and have an infinite inventory, I see no reason to have ground loot on the inventory screen since there is no reason not to just pick it all up when you loot it.  Additionally we need to display camping supplies and money the same way they are in the original UI, pushing it up top with the character name is just going to create a clustered look.  In fact, scratch that, move them to the bottom on the right underneath the inventory itself.  Lastly there is no need for DPS and such to be displayed, this is the inventory screen not the stats screen, if you want detailed stats you shouldn't be going to your inventory.

You need to be able to compare weapons in the inventory, not the stats screen.

Regardless I prefer Hormalakh's design linked above in this page.

They could always pull a very basic (and very useful) page from MMO's and just put a toggle key like shift and when you hover a piece of gear and press shift it just pops up the two items tool tips and shows how your stats change if you switch to the new item.

• Like 2

I don't even think they need a toggle key, it should just do it automatically when you mouse over it tbh like it does in GD/TQ (corresponding to the tooltip delay) - color coded better/worse is also something they could do.

• Like 2