The game looks and feels abysmal in every way

Also, I've never played Titan Quest, but from that video its gameplay looks absolutely terrible.

Yes, melee classes tend to be dull and look unattractive in every game, which is why I don't play them.

Dungeon Siege 3 being the exception.

You should instead take a look at how many classes Titan Quest has and how many synergies are possible. Titan Quest is still one of the best ARPGs available, mechanically and visually.

And yes, I realize that Pillars of Eternity was not designed to be an ARPG, that still doesn't render invalid anything I've said about its many shortcomings. 

the good thing is with malignacious dude he has no influence on anything and his mastery skills of theoretical game development is very interesting. You should be a teacher of RPG mechanics. You are definately a choosen ninja!

I award you now with the title chooson ninja gamer of the 3rd generation sensai!

Edited by NWN_babaYaga
  • Like 1

you misunderstood me, if you think I'm going to argue with you at all. You're entitled to your opinion. I merely informed you, that some of your complaints aren't relevant, since they were never in question for the game. 

Hence I wrote to watch the pitch before asking Obsidian to pull its game, just because it doesn't match your standards. And don't fed me that arrogant bull**** about content.

Edited by TheisEjsing
  • Like 1

It honestly doesn't sound like you have grasped the premise for this game. You might want to watch the kickstarter pitch video, before coming on that strong about what this game lacks.

It honestly sounds like you lack any standards for quality.

Say person that wants unrealistic over the top physics, that makes things to fly all over the place without any sort rational logic in the game.  :p

Wow. It looks like forum for teenage girls when someone criticize their favorite boysband. To much fanboyism guys. Beta is a shot (arrow?) in the knee for Obsidian and its a fact. Right now nobody that isn't a harcore Obsidian fan says anything optimistic about PoE.

I just hope Obsidian isn't in the same bubble of delusion, and they realize the impending disaster.

In fact, I was wondering, does anyone know how many people are working on it right now?

Maybe the development is defunct at this point, because it doesn't receive the support from the whole company. It wouldn't be the first time that happened.

'Ragdoll physics" Really?

Yes, really.

Ever since Titan Quest, they've made games a much more enjoyable experience.

Yeah, really enhances the whole RPG aspect of things. I mean, I can't tell you how many times while playing PnP D&D my DM was all "... the goblin's corpse goes sailing awkwardly through the air like a drunken ballerina, one arm helicoptering, the other seemingly adhered to the goblin's lifeless head. His legs both bend the wrong direction at the knee, while simultaneously bending sideways. You notice a strange clipping effect at his joints where his limb models are breaking from the rest of the model a bit."

And I'm just like "WOW! That's amazing! All I did was stab him with a dagger!"

8)

• Like 13

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

-the color palette is washed out, making it difficult to discern clumped enemies

-the animations are stilted and out of sync with everything, sometimes they skip entirely

-the effects of spells(especially for cipher and wizard) are initiated awkwardly, again due to poor animations and no transitional animations

-there is no flow to combat, everything feels awkward, have I mentioned animations yet?

-because there is no ragdoll physics, corpses or anything you might expect, everything feels flat; defeated enemies just vanish without a peep 

-the sounds are rudimentary and unimaginative(especially for unique classes like cipher), further removing you from any kind of immersion

-the combat system is questionable, to say the least, with robotic characters waiting frozen to make their next attack, if at least you put some higher production values in it...I don't know...like ANIMATIONS!

-no voice acting whatsoever, not even introductory token lines with NPCs, like most low-budget games have

Obsidian, please cancel this project and apologize to people who backed you up, this is a better alternative than the huge blow on reputation you will receive when you release this game. 

I really am baffled that the same studio who made amazing Dungeon Siege 3, with great animations, super enjoyable combat, and ragdoll physics, made such a mess of a game.

Really? People care about these things (nice bait, mate)?

I haven't played the beta, but I've watched some gameplay videos and I can't say anything like what you describe stuck out to me. The game having less polish than than AAA titles seems really reasonable though.

Wow. It looks like forum for teenage girls when someone criticize their favorite boysband. To much fanboyism guys. Beta is a shot (arrow?) in the knee for Obsidian and its a fact. Right now nobody that isn't a harcore Obsidian fan says anything optimistic about PoE.

Says who? You? Pleace... :facepalm:

The game has problems? Yes. Am i optimistic for a winter 2014 release? No, and i don't want one. I want them to delay it for 3 more months to polish it properly.

Is the problem with the game the lack of ragdoll physics? No by a long shot, and i wouldn't want them incuded in the game even if they were free.

The game right now needs better animations,(just more clear and with more weight to them, something like Warcraft 3), clearer spell effects(again Warcraft 3 or the IE games come to mind), better combat feedback, more 2D art, some design-changes and fine tuning, and then it's just polishing and bug squashing.

Ragdoll physics, full voice acting and more kinetic feel of combat are nowhere near the list.

• Like 4

I thought exactly the same...until I played the beta, I couldn't believe how bad it was.

Are you gonna make an actual argument or observation about anything anytime soon?

Higher content per post ratio, please.

• Like 3

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Really? It's just a freakin' beta. I'm not sure how you're seeing so much doom and gloom for the game based on the beta at present. There are actually a lot of positive things in it. Sure, there are plenty of things that need addressing, but very few (if any) that I'd put into a major overhaul category. Fanboy or not, I just don't see the 'shot in the knee' here.

Eh the usual suspects howled the same knee jerk reactionary stuff about Wasteland 2 and that seems like it has had a great launch.  It is a fact that how things are early in beta is determinative for the future of the title?  I do not think the facts support this supposed conclusion at all.  The testers seem like they are doing a great job improving the game and I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Really? It's just a freakin' beta. I'm not sure how you're seeing so much doom and gloom for the game based on the beta at present. There are actually a lot of positive things in it. Sure, there are plenty of things that need addressing, but very few (if any) that I'd put into a major overhaul category. Fanboy or not, I just don't see the 'shot in the knee' here.

I have to say I have never heard somebody say 'sure it gets great reviews now but it SUCKED in beta.  Don't buy it'

• Like 1

So, Malignacious... what you're saying is, "I know it's incomplete, but I just can't believe how not complete it is!"?

Pretty much everything you're judging it on is technical stuff, and not core mechanics or design. Even though it's clearly incomplete.

I mean, if you just want to say "Man, I wish it weren't so incomplete, and this early beta build were a lot more fun to play!", why not just say that?

Do you go try to drive across a not-quite-finished bridge, and complain to the construction crew about how bumpy it is? How bumpy it is before it's complete has nothing to do with how bumpy it will be when it's finished.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Just ignore him. Malignacious shows up every few months asking about rag doll physics, particle effects, and other graphical filigree and the response is always the same.

Edited by illathid
  • Like 7

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

If we ignore people by default, then we'll never know the day they change their ways. Kinda like the Boy Who Cried Wolf, :).

I'd rather sit through infinite bad points than miss out on a good one simply because I assumed someone would never present one.

^The candle that burns twice as bright, burns half as long ... something like that?  Or did you mean something relevant :p:lol:

Wait, I'll make it pseudo-relevant:

-'Gorgeous graphics today are sucky graphics tomorrow.  Consistent art-style and fun gameplay today, are consistent art-style and fun-gameplay tomorrow.'  So sayeth the wise Alaundo.

A few things need tweaking (see beta-forum for more details) but visually it's shaping up nicely for me.

• Like 5

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

YHBT.

'Ragdoll physics" Really?

Thus, you're not going to get full voice acting (which is spendy anyway) or ragdoll physics. There will be some introductory spoken lines though, from what i understand (much like in Baldur's Gate or IWD)

Honestly, as long as some villains yells, "Tremble as you die, ever pathetic, ever fools!" at me some time during the game, I'mma be good.

Yeah, really enhances the whole RPG aspect of things. I mean, I can't tell you how many times while playing PnP D&D my DM was all "... the goblin's corpse goes sailing awkwardly through the air like a drunken ballerina, one arm helicoptering, the other seemingly adhered to the goblin's lifeless head. His legs both bend the wrong direction at the knee, while simultaneously bending sideways. You notice a strange clipping effect at his joints where his limb models are breaking from the rest of the model a bit."

And I'm just like "WOW! That's amazing! All I did was stab him with a dagger!"

Dat sneak attack

I thought exactly the same...until I played the beta, I couldn't believe how bad it was.

Note this claim, in spite of not being a backer.

• Like 3

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Just ignore him. Malignacious shows up every few months asking about rag doll physics, particle effects, and other graphical filigree and the response is always the same.

Ah, I thought the rag doll physics complaint seemed familiar.

• Like 1

Ah, I thought the rag doll physics complaint seemed familiar.

The first time he complained, I looked at his other posts, and I saw he was in the Dungeon Siege 3 forums begging for a sequel, so you can see where his interests lie. I have no problem with someone liking Dungeon Siege 3, but he seems like he wants this to be Dungeon Siege 4, or hopes the game tanks and the result will be that Obsidian makes Dungeon Siege 4 (or a game like it).

Edit:I'd be also curious how he played the beta. (Maybe he has a friend who is a high level backer?)

Edited by forgottenlor
  • Like 1