The game looks and feels abysmal in every way

-the color palette is washed out, making it difficult to discern clumped enemies

-the animations are stilted and out of sync with everything, sometimes they skip entirely

-the effects of spells(especially for cipher and wizard) are initiated awkwardly, again due to poor animations and no transitional animations

-there is no flow to combat, everything feels awkward, have I mentioned animations yet?

-because there is no ragdoll physics, corpses or anything you might expect, everything feels flat; defeated enemies just vanish without a peep 

-the sounds are rudimentary and unimaginative(especially for unique classes like cipher), further removing you from any kind of immersion

-the combat system is questionable, to say the least, with robotic characters waiting frozen to make their next attack, if at least you put some higher production values in it...I don't know...like ANIMATIONS!

-no voice acting whatsoever, not even introductory token lines with NPCs, like most low-budget games have

Obsidian, please cancel this project and apologize to people who backed you up, this is a better alternative than the huge blow on reputation you will receive when you release this game. 

I really am baffled that the same studio who made amazing Dungeon Siege 3, with great animations, super enjoyable combat, and ragdoll physics, made such a mess of a game.

Edited by Malignacious
  • Like 1

Yes most of the animations and stuff are not that polished (I don't think) they're "beta"

The combat isn't tuned yet

You can either help submit constructive feedback or complain. One of those things will not help the game be better upon release, and one will.

The PE beta is about on par with the Wasteland 2 and Div:OS betas although it is better and worse in different ways than the others.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 9

Yes most of the animations and stuff are not that polished (I don't think) they're "beta"

The combat isn't tuned yet

You can either help submit constructive feedback or complain. One of those things will not help the game be better upon release, and one will.

The PE beta is about on par with the Wasteland 2 and Div:OS betas although it is better and worse in different ways than the others.

If it's on par with DOS and W2 betas then things will likely be fine for release hopefully seeing as the other two have succeeded and Obsidian is a much bigger and more experienced company than both inXile and Larian.

1zq6793.jpg

Keep in mind that this and DS3 are completely different games with different goals and more importantly different budgets.

Agreed, but still looking forward to Pillars of Eternity totally kicking the asses of Original Sin and Wasteland 2, Obsidian's got this!!

• Like 1

1zq6793.jpg

'Ragdoll physics" Really?

This game is a nod to the old IE games. Thus, you're not going to get full voice acting (which is spendy anyway) or ragdoll physics. There will be some introductory spoken lines though, from what i understand (much like in Baldur's Gate or IWD) As noted though, this is a beta and only a small piece of the actual game. We're not seeing all the game has to offer yet, there are many things they're going to tweak and adjust, and there has only been one update to the beta so far. Pretty hard to judge yet what the final product is going to be like. But IMO, it looks pretty damned promising to deliver very close to what I as hoping to get in the game. Not sure what you were looking for.

• Like 18

Yep, to echo the comments above, this is totally not a rag-doll physics kind of game....which should have been obvious from the get-go imo. As for voice acting....it would be nice and all but don't expect it because it's too expensive and this is a very dialogue intensive game....there will probably be some, here and there for important bits of the game but mostly not. If I had to choose between a system like this with deep and expansive dialogue without voice acting and simplified dialogue to accommodate voice acting I'd choose this any day.

• Like 3

1zq6793.jpg

Agreed, but still looking forward to Pillars of Eternity totally kicking the asses of Original Sin and Wasteland 2, Obsidian's got this!!

Perhaps. But D:OS has been pretty enjoyable thus far--on a par with Divine Divinity in my experience. So Obsidian's got it's work cut out for it. At least for me.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Yes, really.

Ever since Titan Quest, they've made games a much more enjoyable experience.

Because it's not about ragdoll physics per se, although that is the desired standard, but about combat having a kinetic feel to it, some sort of impact and weight behind actions.

For example, Torchlight 2, not having an advanced engine that supported such standard, still managed to impart that impact through critical hits which turn enemies into blood pinatas, which although is a cartoony and arcadey way of doing it, is still far better than the nothingness we have here where enemies just vanish like ghosts.

Edited by Malignacious

The current death system is acknowledged as a placeholder and the next beta update has already been confirmed as containing death scenes and the like.

Also, I've never played Titan Quest, but from that video its gameplay looks absolutely terrible.

Yes, really.

Because it's not about ragdoll physics per se, although that is the desired standard, but about combat having a kinetic feel to it, some sort of impact and weight behind actions.

For example, Torchlight 2, not having an advanced engine that supported such standard, still managed to impart that impact through critical hits which turn enemies into blood pinatas, which although is a cartoony and arcadey way of doing it, is still far better than the nothingness we have here where enemies just vanish like ghosts.

It honestly doesn't sound like you have grasped the premise for this game. You might want to watch the kickstarter pitch video, before coming on that strong about what this game lacks.

Edited by TheisEjsing
  • Like 5

Yes, really.

It honestly doesn't sound like you have grasped the premise for this game. You might want to watch the kickstarter pitch video, before coming on that strong about what this game lacks.

I completely agree. Malignacious, dude, this game isn't for you dude.....you don't like certain design and development decisions that are very much on purpose and are not going to change and are exactly what the backers backed to have made.

• Like 6

1zq6793.jpg

It honestly sounds like you lack any standards for quality.

Yup.. I'm not gonna argue with you about standards. Sorry that this game ain't for you, but hey, there's always Titan Quest right.

• Like 5