The Great Inventory Poll

ctdavids

Inventory Preferences  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preferences for Looting Limitations

• Unlimited (PoE currently, Dragon Age, Infinity Engine + Bag of Holding)
    • Limited by weight (Wasteland 2)
    • Limited by number of items (World of Warcraft)
    • Limited by shape of items (Diablo)
    • Limited by weight and number of items (Infinity Engine without Bag of Holding)
    • Limited by weight and shape of items (Arcanum (?), Deus Ex)
    • Don't care
  2. 2. What is your preference for Item Accesibility?

• All items are useable
    • Can move item into useable area when out of combat
    • Can move item into useable area when in a "safe" area
    • Can move item into useable area on resting
    • Don't care
  3. 3. What is your preference for per character vs. per party inventory

• Each character has their own inventory
    • The party has a combined inventory
    • Don't care

So there's been a lot of discussion about the inventory system (here, for instance: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/68039-sensukis-suggestions-014-non-terrible-inventory-mockup/) and we know that in a coming patch the number of inventory slots per-character will be going up to 16 (from 8 ).  It seems, however, like people have all sorts of different preferences for inventory systems.  I'm curious about how the preferences split among all those who read the forums (and not just the vocal) so here we are.

A caveat: I don't necessarily expect or advocate following a majority-rules approach here (or in any design decision).  That said, I think information is good.

Now, I've divided this into several polls because I think there are actually a variety of issues surrounding this topic and (hopefully) this split will lead to more useful data.  If you think I've missed something, let me know and maybe I can add it, although I'm maxed on # of questions.  Anyway, on to a description of the various questions.

Looting Limitations

This relates to how much you can pick up before having to return to town to sell.  This ignores the question of where/how the items are stored and whether they're accessible before returning to town as those are addressed elsewhere.  This is simply a question of how much junk you can pickup before going back to the magical merchants who transform junk into useable gold (yay!).  I've provided examples of games that use that system for ease of reference - please divorce your love/hate of the game from the inventory system :)

Item Accessibility

This relates to the character inventories vs. stash dichotomy (i.e. some items are useable while some are not).  Specifically, when should you be able to change which items you can use (for instance, moving them out of the stash as it currently stands).  In respect of the "safe" area answer, I've left what that means rather nebulous, but figured it would provide some sort of middle ground between out of combat and resting (for instance, there were areas in the infinity engine games where you couldn't rest due to it being unsafe)

Character/Party inventory

This is simply about whether you want the useable items inventory to be per character or per party.  Any non-useable area would be assumed to just be party wide (there being no point really in having a per-character stash area).  Moreover, quickslots aren't considered part of inventory:  I assume that each character will continue to have quickslots on their rag doll.

Edited by ctdavids
  • Like 1

My personal preference is for an unlimited ability to loot.  While I recognize that it lacks 'realism', I find the other options (leaving loot behind, returning to town mid-quest to sell) break immersion worse for me than just not having to think about inventory space.  I don't enjoy inventory management as a mini game and basically the least intrusive the better from my point of view.  Obviously, people disagree with me though so I'm curious to see where people fall.

Combined party inventory is something that I want definitely, because going through characters personal inventories becomes more annoying chore more items you especially if each character has their own inventory screen (Wasteland 2 and D:OS have make me release how annoying multi screen inventory management can become). Otherwise I don't really care if inventory is limited in some way or if inventory space is unlimited. 

• Like 1

I'm for unlimited looting, free accessibility except combat, and a shared inventory. At least for PoE.

• Like 3

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

I'm for unlimited looting, free accessibility except combat, and a shared inventory. At least for PoE.

A valid note illathid.  Obviously the "appropriate" inventory design depends on the game in question.  And yes, of course, we're talking about PoE here ;)

One single party inventory

* Unlimited in the number of items

* Limited by the sum of the carrying capacities of individual members

* Not accessible in combat

Each party members has their own personal equipment

* Limited number of items (equipped items, 2 sets of weapons, 4-6 quick slot items)

* Possibly limited by the member's carrying capacity

* Accessible in combat

Carrying capacity could be class-based modified by CON. Or just CON-based.

Edited by Headbomb

Since we already have unlimited inventory in game that is sort of a non issue.  In a game where you have unlimited inventory I see absolutely no point in per character inventory.  Lastly I think we should be able to swap "readied" items whenever we want as long as we are not in combat.  Push come to shove make it so you can only do it on a rest or when in a "safe zone" like a town or designated part of a dungeon such as an underground shrine or something.

I like the per-character inventories from the POV of organisation and role-playing (my cleric carries my potions in BG, mage carries scrolls, thief carries gems, etc).

Useful to have them all on the same page as in PoE.

Stash is fine and I'd go with access anywhere outside combat.

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

A valid note illathid.  Obviously the "appropriate" inventory design depends on the game in question.  And yes, of course, we're talking about PoE here ;)

Indeed!

To be specific, I want a shared inventory because of how the actual act of looting occurs. In IE games, your party leader would always be the one to pick up item. This meant they could be a general holding space, and you could set up your other party members as organization tools (Edwin carries scrolls, Viconia caries potions, etc.).

In PoE however, whichever party member is closest to the loot will pick it up, and it defaults to going in that character's inventory. This means you have to always switch to your clearing house character or the appropriate organizer (needless micromanagement), or have items picked up go to whichever character (which makes organization even harder).

By having a shared inventory it would mean I would have much less to fuss over.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

I only want per character inventory if the inventory is going to be split screen like the IE games, otherwise I'd rather just have a shared inventory.

Agreed. The constant fiddling around with inventory management is really distracting when you have completely separate screens for each character.  If you're going to move items around between party members, I'd rather have a combined inventory system (e..g. Dragon Age)

The game is about adventuring and the systems should be in service to that end.  Micromanging something as banal as inventory is just a time sync.

Couldn't agree more.  Inventory is there to make the game work and not to be the game itself.

That's a matter of opinion. Decisions about inventory in a meaningful system is awesome I think.

Also, you forgot Cataclysm:DDA style: Each item has Weight + Volume.

- Weight is for your carrying capacity (strength wise)

- Volume is for your containers (pockets, backpack, sash, etc)

Other than that, too many core mechanics to change at this point to change the core of the inventory system so don't quite see the point, other than just have one massive party inventory, accessible any time, with proper sorting tabs and be done with it.

Edited by mutonizer

I find the current system or an adaptation thereof to be great.

Unlimited looting solves the tedium of town trips *just* for loot, or having to play loot tetris in certain other systems (Diablo 1-2, 3 to a certain extent). 

However, limited item accessibility (as of right now I am one of apparently only 3 people who prefers "only on rest") requires you to still be strategic about what loot to actually have available.

I only want per character inventory if the inventory is going to be split screen like the IE games, otherwise I'd rather just have a shared inventory.

Agreed the way it works now the system actually fights itself and it should be just one shared inventory. Lack of weight further promotes this.

I voted for the IE way though with BoH and taking stuff from the stash out of combat with per character inventory. Just the way it's implemented now is sort of half assed and they just need to go all the way with it.