NWN2 loads successfully, finally

Ross_Witchen

Hello Obsidians ( and old Black Isle diehards)

The topic title refers to the Neverwinter Nighs 2 game I bought in 2006, but couldn't get to work .. untill 2 days ago.

Bought a new over the counter computer 2 days ago, for the express purpose of trying to get the game to finally work.  I was happy to see it load successfully in the store, during the stores testing of machine.  Then I bought the box, bought a pizza, went home, and started to play it...finally.

Game was probably part of the initial first 1000 games every produced, version 1.  So I never knew all these... 8+ years ...if it ws the game's fault why I couldnt get it to work.  I was the first (as far as I know) customer to write a review on this game, on Black Isle forum.  Since I couldnt say much about the game play, the people who replied to the topic concentrated instead on what kind of pizza I bought during my attempts to make it work.  Poor Fergus and the other developers tried to help me get it to work, but in the end my old 2001 box simply coulnt supply the graphics requirements...or the xp operating system needs of the game.

By the way, the pizza I bought 2 days ago was a large cheese pizza with 3 toppings of garlic.

The interface in NWN2 seemed cruder than NWN1 (no radial click option control).  It also seemed very picture story orientated in the official module.  My intended toon is my usual caster-scout.  This would be a rogue(1) / shadow thief of Amn (1) / sorcerer ( 8 ) / trickster (10).  The trickster needed 2d6 sneak attack, thats why I needed the shadow thief.  The darn shadow thief membership requiremnet turned out to be a headache for me, since I'm playing blind.  I can't level my level 7 guy untill I get it.  Finally I googled membership to find out its somewhere along the Neverwinter thief guild quest line.  Luckily I used the thief fork in the quest road, and not the guards version.  Still, if any replier wants to enlighten me with some walk throu info, I'd appreciate it.

If the patches or expansions added NWN radial options off the mouse cursers, later on after 2006, I'd like to know about it.  Also I can't customize how my toon looks gear wise, like in NWN1.  That saddens me.  Can I use the multiplayer option, to run 3 custom made teammates, like in Balder's Gate series?

Anyways, this report on the game gives optimistic closure on a worthwile game.  I felt kinda guilty that I fed a "cant get it to work" report on the 1st day it hit the shelves (in canada and New England I believe).

BTW ... isn't that Volourn guy banned again yet? (wink)

Edited by Ross_Witchen
  • Like 1

If the patches or expansions added NWN radial options off the mouse cursers, later on after 2006, I'd like to know about it.  Also I can't customize how my toon looks gear wise, like in NWN1.  That saddens me.  Can I use the multiplayer option, to run 3 custom made teammates, like in Balder's Gate series?

There is no radial menu added but I'm wondering, what patch are you using? The autopatcher used to work great but now that the related websites are shut down, you can only patch to a certain number. The last patch released was 1.23 I believe. I *think* you can find the patches online somewhere and apply them manually *somehow* but a more knowledgable person would have to show you how in that case. It's worth it I think as there are some nice additions added in the later patches.

Also, I don't think you can use multiplayer like that unfortunately. However, the expansion called Storm of Zehir has a 4 party member creation from the start (and then one can recruit 2 henchmen additionally to that).

Both expansions are highly worth it IMO (though they're very different from one another) if you can still find 'em to buy somewhere.

Edited by Starwars

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

There is no radial menu added but I'm wondering, what patch are you using? The autopatcher used to work great but now that the related websites are shut down, you can only patch to a certain number. The last patch released was 1.23 I believe. I *think* you can find the patches online somewhere and apply them manually *somehow* but a more knowledgable person would have to show you how in that case. It's worth it I think as there are some nice additions added in the later patches.

If you have an older release, then you have to load the patches manually now--here's a source. It's much easier just to grab the latest combined release off GoG for about $25.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Here's a list of the top ranked modules available from the Neverwinter Vault, if you are interested.

I have the GOG version installed currently, would any of this stuff clash with Kaedrin's PrC stuff?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Each and every module has a description that says if it is compatible and up to which patch of Kaedrin's PrC pack. You can always install his pack, and then take a chance and dive into modules anyway, but then there is the possibility of more or less weird mishaps (often spell-related, or effects), since a few of the 2DA-files in the override folder will risk overlapping. My last module, for instance (apparently at #37, not bad, I had no idea), has instructions for this (see link below). It's level 25-30, and you can play it with friends as well, assuming that everything works after all these years. :)

http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/module/trial-and-terror

A big thanks to Neverwinter Vault for this nice presentation of my module, btw.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Here's a list of the top ranked modules available from the Neverwinter Vault, if you are interested.

I have the GOG version installed currently, would any of this stuff clash with Kaedrin's PrC stuff?

Possibly. I know there were some modules that were tested against Kaedrin's PrC add-on for compatibility, and they said as much in their description.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Alright, will test this weekend.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

• 2 months later...

If you're using Windows 7+ then you need to install DX9 for Windows 7, as it does not come with version 9 out of the box. Some people don't run into the issue if they use the Steam platform because a lot of older games prompt Steam to install it when their game launches the first time.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.