Mouse Recommendations

kgambit

The Return of the Legend: Meet the New Mouse Same As the Old Old Mouse

oky3lsx.jpg

Jrkeokt.jpg

uLCSZM3.jpg

So I found one of these legendary Microsoft Trackball Explorers used in good condition and for a reasonable price, reasonable meaning only twice what I paid for a brand new one many many years ago.  I've seen them sell for 2 or 3 times that much these days.  It was worth it for me to spend the money to have this amazing trackball back in my life.  I'm still sad and confused as to why Microsoft stopped producing these.  I'm going to baby this mouse, because if it ever breaks, finding one will be all the more difficult years from now and there is just no replacement for it.  So comfortable, 5 buttons (including scroll wheel), super precise trackball performance.  About the only negative I can say about this trackball is that it's not good for doing quick turns in games because the ball doesn't spin as freely as some trackballs, so it's hard to make a really big movement very quickly, unless you turn the sensitivity in-game up way high, which has repercussions.  On the other hand, for minute, few pixel, precise  aiming, this thing is the champ, it works beautifully for making very small movements.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

That ball makes me think of HAL.

You should keep looking for more of those, and buy them up whenever you see them. It always bites when something you love is no longer made, and you're scouring the world hoping to find some, somewhere. :)

Which reminds me, I think there's still some of those small basic MS mice that I use on Amazon. I need to snap those up, they're hard to find on-shelf in a store now. Hopefully they're actually the same and won't feel off....

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 2 weeks later...

i have a sharkoon drakonia that i got a bit more than a year ago. a good mouse for it's price, but the wheel stoped working a few days ago. my previous mouse, a trust GM4200, was working fine for over 5 years before losing the use of the wheel (the reason for the replacement) despite everyone saying that trust makes bad products

in that case however was a complete HW failure, in the new mouse i think it simply got off the axis but i dont know how to open it and put it back in its place... and it would cost as much as a new mouse to have it fixed since its warranty has expired

by the way, does anyone know how to open a laser mouse and look on the inside? older mice had a screw or two and it was simple

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Forum software doesn't allow certain possibly problematic image extentions. If you got a hit from your antivirus off an image here, I'm pretty confident it's a false positive. 

"This web page is on the list of websites with dubious reputation or websites with potentially unwanted content." is the ESET message.

Hence ESET blocks it, like many other AVs will do to sites known to have sometimes contained bad things, or to contain things that the company behind the AV is contracted to block (ie: sites that contain pirated things). Though so far as I've ever seen ESET doesn't do the latter (which is one of the prime reasons I use it), unlike some of the more popular AVs.

The site is probably perfectly safe so long as you wear your internet condoms, like all others.

Edited by Valsuelm

i finally found how to open the mouse. the wheel axis was made of cheap .5mm plastic and is broken. i tried to put it back together with some super glue but nothing, it breaks off as soon as i try to use it. i may have to go Mcguyver on it.  and if it still doesnt work, i ll have to consider getting a new mouse

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Even the ludicrously priced mice which I have been guilt of buying myself often are all made of the same cheap plastic components glued together. 

not all. my old Trust mouse had a metal axis for the wheel. it was visible from the sides. anyway, i managed to fix it. the plastic part had hexagonal shape, so i got one of those hexagonal screwdriver things at the right size, melted the plastic contact point of the wheel and put it in to make it like one body, after it solidified, i inserted the input device and cut the rest of the tool. i then put it back in it's place in the mouse and now my wheel has a metal axis

-Teknoman2-