How will the physical and digital copies of the game work?

The topic of this thread is a PM I wrote to Obsidian on KS but I'm also looking for the thoughts of other backers on this topic, the way the digital copies were handled for some Wasteland 2 backers has prompted me to rise a few questions and concerns about this whole matter:

I have some concerns about how the physical and digital copies of the game are going to work out. I pledged at the $140 physical CE level of the game and the way other KS campaigns are going I'm afraid the physical copy is going to be Steam, is this correct? If it's not Steam or if there's an option for it not to be Steam will there be any way to get patches, the expansion and other future content for it?

Then there's the digital copy of the game in my tier which I can select for GOG, which would be perfect for all intents and purposes, but what kind of digital copy is it? Is it a bare bones copy of the game or will it be a Digital Deluxe kind of thing?

I'm asking because I'm afraid I'll end up in a bad spot with this like I did with Wasteland 2(which I got from my Torment pledge). You see, when I secured that copy I assumed it would be a "normal" or "regular" copy of the game that I could buy the Digital Deluxe Upgrade for and all would be fine but as it turns out that wasn't the case...."normal" copies of the game for KS backers were a special hell on GOG as they practically had nothing to them, they were even stripped of the three crappy wallpapers and the game is not even sold like that to anyone on GOG. Buying the Digital Deluxe upgrade for it only left it with half of the content of the Digital Deluxe everyone got when buying it on GOG because the other half goes with the regular, non-deluxe, copy everyone who buys it from the site gets.....this led to me having a bitter and quite long conversation with inXile and it looks like this situation was created by GOG and they are trying to fix it.

So after all that rant my big question is: will I be facing this predicament with the digital copy of Pillars of Eternity or will I be able to properly upgrade it to the Digital Deluxe or will the code be for the Digital Deluxe to start with or will I get screwed with a copy of the game that has its own special hell?

Edited by Darth Trethon

1zq6793.jpg

Good points. If the physical copy of the collector's edition ends up being a Steam version, I'm going to be severely disappointed - I pledged for the physical copy to really, actually own the game, and Steam would be the opposite of that.

I share your concerns for the different versions on different platforms and patches as well.

• Like 1

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Good points. If the physical copy of the collector's edition ends up being a Steam version, I'm going to be severely disappointed - I pledged for the physical copy to really, actually own the game, and Steam would be the opposite of that.

I share your concerns for the different versions on different platforms and patches as well.

In Update #19 the description of all the physical rewards states that the game is DRM free.  I don't think that has changed.

In Update #19 the description of all the physical rewards states that the game is DRM free.  I don't think that has changed.

But that doesn't answer the most pressing question of obtaining future content/patches and the handling of the digital copies.

1zq6793.jpg

It also says the extra digital copies are DRM free.  Update #4 says that the digital DRM free version will be through GOG.  I would assume that means the DRM free physical versions will also allow you to register the game on GOG which will give you all the patches, ugrades, etc. through their service.

Just an assumption on my part though.  In the end, I doubt OE will abandon those who bought physical copies.  If they don't come to an arrangement with GOG, they also have the option of requesting Paradox to host the patches.

It also says the extra digital copies are DRM free.  Update #4 says that the digital DRM free version will be through GOG.  I would assume that means the DRM free physical versions will also allow you to register the game on GOG which will give you all the patches, ugrades, etc. through their service.

Just an assumption on my part though.  In the end, I doubt OE will abandon those who bought physical copies.  If they don't come to an arrangement with GOG, they also have the option of requesting Paradox to host the patches.

You completely failed to understand my concerns about the digital copy which unlike the physical had nothing to do with DRM or getting patches/content. You might want to actually read the opening post.....just saying.

1zq6793.jpg

I did read your OP, but your reply to me specifically referenced obtaining future updates/patches.  I did not address your concerns regarding the "handling" of different versions of the game as I didn't have an answer.  My original post also wasn't aimed at you, I was answering the post I quoted. Just saying.

I did read your OP, but your reply to me specifically referenced obtaining future updates/patches.  I did not address your concerns regarding the "handling" of different versions of the game as I didn't have an answer.  My original post also wasn't aimed at you, I was answering the post I quoted. Just saying.

I said it didn't answer the pressing questions about obtaining patches/content.....in the context of the physical copy. And the handling of the digital copies....I didn't think you'd get the two mixed up or start thinking that I need DRM clarification in that regard. Hell to quote myself here: "Then there's the digital copy of the game in my tier which I can select for GOG, which would be perfect for all intents and purposes......"

1zq6793.jpg

I assumed the physical copy of the game on dvd would be the game itself. Put the dvd in your drive and it would install. No codes and DRM Free. If there's patches, I'd assume we can download the patch as an exe file and run it like we could with the old IE games.

Yeah but every other KS I kept track of has changed their disc versions to Steam because it's convenient, I believe Wasteland 2 discs are also Steam unless I'm mistaken.

1zq6793.jpg

I said it didn't answer the pressing questions about obtaining patches/content.....in the context of the physical copy. And the handling of the digital copies....I didn't think you'd get the two mixed up or start thinking that I need DRM clarification in that regard. Hell to quote myself here: "Then there's the digital copy of the game in my tier which I can select for GOG, which would be perfect for all intents and purposes......"

Hell, to quote myself: "I would assume that means the DRM free physical versions will also allow you to register the game on GOG which will give you all the patches, ugrades, etc. through their service."

I wouldn't expect to get patches from gog.com for non-gog physical disc version.

What would gog get out of that? No sale but they'd still get to deliver the support and bandwith?

I'd assume the patches will be made available in Obsidians site and some other sites.

Don't all the physical copies also come with an added digital copy?

My plan is to use either gog or steam and forget I even have the disc.

Particularly as the physical copy will no doubt arrive days or weeks after the release.

During the KS campaign for Divinity:Original Sin, Larian studios announced the physical copy would be tied to Steam but that backers could opt for a non-Steam physical version if they wanted. Obsidian hasn't said anything at all about the physical copy being tied to Steam as far as I can recall. With that in mind, I would assume the same as Jarmo that Obs will host patches and content on their site and/or other sites.

As to the digital copy on GOG, I see this as a valid concern, but I personally assume it will be the same as your physical copy - i.e. a Collectors or Deluxe edition (depending what they end up calling the digital version). My assumption would be it would include all the digital content that you'd get with the physical edition you pledged for. But yeah, clarification on this would be welcome although I think with the issues that occurred with GOG and Wasteland 2 that you outlined, it would be logical to think they may have learned something from that. Hopefully.

During the KS campaign for Divinity:Original Sin, Larian studios announced the physical copy would be tied to Steam but that backers could opt for a non-Steam physical version if they wanted. Obsidian hasn't said anything at all about the physical copy being tied to Steam as far as I can recall. With that in mind, I would assume the same as Jarmo that Obs will host patches and content on their site and/or other sites.

As to the digital copy on GOG, I see this as a valid concern, but I personally assume it will be the same as your physical copy - i.e. a Collectors or Deluxe edition (depending what they end up calling the digital version). My assumption would be it would include all the digital content that you'd get with the physical edition you pledged for. But yeah, clarification on this would be welcome although I think with the issues that occurred with GOG and Wasteland 2 that you outlined, it would be logical to think they may have learned something from that. Hopefully.

DOS was a mess....the Steam for discs was announced horribly late, pretty much when they went in production....and the DRM  free opt-out even later after quite a few backers went ballistic on Larian over it and the DRM-free options were hideously delayed....I don't think those shipped until like a month after release or something. VERY poor choice of example here....or a very good one depending on how you look at it.

I agree with the whole second part of your comment.

Edited by Darth Trethon

1zq6793.jpg

DOS was a mess....the Steam for discs was announced horribly late, pretty much when they went in production....and the DRM  free opt-out even later after quite a few backers went ballistic on Larian over it and the DRM-free options were hideously delayed....I don't think those shipped until like a month after release or something. VERY poor choice of example here....or a very good one depending on how you look at it.

Actually hoping it's a good example - for Obsidian to take note of what not to do. :)

I was quite pleased with the D:OS experience actually. Besides, the game is entirely DRM free, regardless of platform. Updates through Steam, thus far, have been the most streamlined I have experienced yet. I get the hate for the monolithic giant, but the experience is quite good :p

I was quite pleased with the D:OS experience actually. Besides, the game is entirely DRM free, regardless of platform. Updates through Steam, thus far, have been the most streamlined I have experienced yet. I get the hate for the monolithic giant, but the experience is quite good :p

Steam is never DRM-free and there are severe privacy concerns to even installing Steam on your PC and agreeing to their EULA.....that said, the game can be played without issue offline without needing to deal with Steam at all once installed and all that.....but Steam IS DRM and that will never change. I and many others want absolutely nothing to do with Steam no matter what and for good reasons.

Besides updates through GOG are quick and painless, no different to Steam but without Steam sticking their nose in my business.

Edited by Darth Trethon

1zq6793.jpg

Better not be linked to steam or there will be mad interwebz rage (me included!)

They replied to me and said the physical version won't be steam and patches plus future content will be available through the backer portal. They said the digital copy for GOG s game-only with the additional digital bonuses available through the backer portal too but I'm waiting on clarification on whether the copy of the game can be upgraded on GOG, especially since the majority of their backers are at very basic tiers that won't have much, if anything, in the way of digital bonuses, so we'll see if they say anything or if they intend to go down the path of plain not caring and making people decide between buying the game over again in a Deluxe package and just plain not being able to ever get any of the bonuses past release.

• Like 2

1zq6793.jpg