The Alignmentsystem

Niccolado

Been toying around now in Pillars of Eternity, and to be honest i'm a little unsure how this morality choice system will pan out, but sometimes I do feel I miss the traditional alignment system. You know, Lawful Good, Neutral, Chaotic Evil etc.

Ofcource after 25 years of playing traditional AD&D PnP games you tend to become pretty conservative and you grow placid with little room in your head for changes and alternatives... I simply have problems adjusting to other systems, since I like it as it is! I feel the old system made it easier to classify morality. So i miss it a little. What do you guys do? Do you miss it?

I've never liked D&D DMs who were strict about playing to your alignment. Too much silly role playing, not enough freedom to react to what you're presented with in game.

Reputation makes much more sense to me.

Edited by Flow

There's only one place where alignment has ever really been used extensively and made sense: Planescape. The PnP campaign setting, not the game - it was pretty much as ham-handed in PS:T as it usually is in CRPGs.

Since this game doesn't even resemble Planescape, I can't say it feels especially absent. Especially since it's not like Alignment played much of a role in the other IE games.

• Like 2

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I'm forever trapped in the Chaotic Evil of thinking that Planescape's approach gets undeservedly high praise.

D&D Alignment was never properly portraited in classic crpgs so I'm really eager to see how rep system is gonna work.

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

For as much as a grognard as I can be, I'm honestly not pissed about not having traditional D&D style alignment. I always found it a little restrictive.

People are much more complex than the alignment system portrays. It's rare that a person is truly evil or truly good. People are more nuanced than that. Reputation feels like like it supports that better.

• Like 2

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke