Ranger Discussion

Sensuki

RANGERS CURRENTLY SUCK, LETS HELP FIX THEM!

In my opinion, the Ranger is the class that needs the most help at the moment. They have zero votes in Marceror's recent "What is your favourite class" poll and in my opinion they are the least fun to play.

So I thought I'd create a thread where we focus on generating ideas to help make the Ranger a fun class.

Some general facts about the Ranger

• The Ranger has an animal companion
  • The Ranger and animal companion share Health Pool
  • The Ranger unit is intended to be a ranged character, whereas his companion is melee
  • I don't think Josh wants there to be "Drizzt Rangers" that do two weapon fighting.

Ranger Progression Levels 1-8

• Animal Companion (Passive) - All rangers possess an animal companion. A ranger and their animal companion share stamina and health pools.
    Wounding Shot (Passive, Ranged only) - The ranger's shot inflicts a continuous damage effect and Hobbles the target.
    Swift Aim (Modal) - Increases the ranger's rate of fire and reload with ranged weapons at the cost of an Accuracy penalty.
  • Defensive Bond - When both the ranger and his or her animal companion are subjected to an area effect attack, they gain +15 to the targeted defenses.
  • Marked Prey (Active) - grants a bonus against a single target.
  • Nothing?
  • Stalker's Link (Passive) - When a ranger's animal companion Engages a target, the target is automatically Flanked if the ranger has a ranged weapon equipped and is opposite the target.
  • Nothing?
  • Driving Flight (Passive) - Each ranged attack loosed by the ranger contains such force as to fly straight through the first target and hit another behind it (within a 20-degree arc) for less damage.
  • Binding Roots (Active) - Conjures roots from the ground underneath a target, causing them to become Stuck.

Unknown / Possibly Cut Abilities

• Predator's Sense - The ranger's animal companion gains a damage bonus on any creature suffering from a continuous damage effect.
  • Takedown - The ranger's animal companion will knock the target Prone with a Fortitude attack.
  • Defensive Shooting - When using ranged weapons against any target that is Engaging the ranger, the ranger's Accuracy is increased by 20 and his or her Interrupt rating is improved by one category.
  • Master's Call - animal companion will immediately move back to him or her at increased speed, gaining a +20 bonus to Concentration and defenses against Disengagement Attacks. Any enemy it comes within 1m of is automatically attacked and knocked Prone if the attack succeeds.

Ranger Talents

• Bonus Wounding Shot - self explanatory
  • Swift and Steady - reduces accuracy penalty of Swift Aim

Two problems at the moment is that they do not gain an additional ability at level four and six and they also do not gain an extra talent at level six.

My personal opinion is that the Ranger should become a more micromanagement focused class, since it does require you to control two units. The concept vaguely reminds me of the Lone Druid from DotA. I think that having two units but not taking advantage of the flexibility of the situation but rather making it rather passive kind of defeats the purpose and is not taking advantage of the unique opportunity that this brings to the class lineup of the game.

Currently I do not think that the Ranger's ability set warrants investing in Intellect, because there is simply not enough use from the extra durations or AoE increase. So this area also needs to be improved.

Here are some of my ideas:

I think that the Ranger could stand to perhaps have some modal auras that only apply to the Ranger and his animal companion. Intellect AoE would then increase the size of the aura, allowing the Ranger to gain more of a benefit from AoEs. These modes could then be switched over given different situations in combat. Swift Aim and Defensive Bond could become modal auras, and there could also be a couple of more offensive ones (more could be bought by the Talent system). This would make the Ranger more fun to play, in that you can tactically switch out your auras depending on the situation - If your companion is getting pounded on, flick to defensive bond (which could give a deflection and reflex increase, instead of a bonus against AoEs, which usually target Reflex), if they aren't - flick to speed or damage.

All Animal Companions need at least one active ability by default, as well as one passive. 

Rangers could be given options to give the Ranger OR the companion more active abilities. They could focus on making their companion a complete boss in combat, or focus on themselves. This would also make the Intellect Ranger build more viable.

This would require a bit more design work, but I think it would make the Ranger a unique and fun class to play.

This is just my opinion though, I think I would prefer that Obsidian took advantage of the possibility to have a really awesome micromanagement style class. There are likely others that disagree, but as I have stated a few other times - combat still needs tuning and it is currently a more stressful environment than the IE games due to the speed at which you can die if you don't constantly pause and control every move of your units. This is not a problem with class design, but things external to it, so try and imagine this vision of the Ranger under the perfect combat environment.

I think the focus should be on the link between the Ranger and the Animal Companion.

What are your thoughts? Do you agree? Do you disagree? Do you have your own ideas of where the Ranger should go?

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 8

TBH I'm not really digging the shared health pool. I don't really have a pet idea on how to fix it. Get rid of the shared pool and give Mr. Bear only stamina so his pool tops up between fights, but have Ranger get an Injury if Mr. Bear goes down in a fight?

It makes them much more fragile than they ought to be. At least give us the option to armor up the animal companion for some more protection. Your ideas on making the abilities into auras would certainly help.

Your ideas are fine and would make it more interesting and active, but I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy playing it anyway. But then again, that's why there are so many classes to pick from.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

All Animal Companions need at least one active ability by default, as well as one passive. 

This is a great idea! Let's make the animal companions more interesting. 

It would also be cool if the ranger could get a talent where he does more damage to wildlife specifically; making him a kind of hunter. 

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Yeah well I'm used to games like Warcraft 3 etc that have lots of active abilities. Perhaps the animal companions themselves could emphasize your play a bit - the bear is obviously a bit of a tank. 

Here's a quote from Josh on the differences between the animal companions

* Antelope - Higher defenses.

* Bear - Higher Damage Threshold.

* Boar - Gains Might at low Stamina.

* Lion - Terrifying Roar ability.

* Stag - Carnage ability (like barbarian's, but limited-use)

* Wolf - Faster movement rate.

This seems a bit threadbare to me. I don't think the Wolf's fast movement is terribly useful without something to go with it, they also move RIDICULOUSLY FAST like waaay too fast.

It would also be cool if the ranger could get a talent where he does more damage to wildlife specifically; making him a kind of hunter.

I think Marked Prey is supposed to be the favored enemy stand in.

Edited by Sensuki

I think Marked Prey is supposed to be the favored enemy stand in.

Yeah, well it's not good enough. Right now the Ranger kinda sucks, and I WANT to be a Ranger.

It needs to be good at something! Being the an effective animal killer would be thematically correct since I think of Rangers as a kind of "survivor man" class. As I said it should be a talent so it's only a potential build, but it would be cool to have a character who is good at killing certain types of enemies well.

Back in the day, Clerics were pwning undead. Now I want Rangers to pwn animals. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I don't know if being an effective animal killer would be very useful though because animals won't be that challenging in most cases I wouldn't think and you would face them very often. I also don't know if it makes thematic sense for a Ranger to kill animals, since they are the master of an animal ;)

Marked Prey could make them pretty good boss killers though, it may just not be strong enough of an ability atm.

Edited by Sensuki

I don't know if being an effective animal killer would be very useful though because animals won't be that challenging in most cases I wouldn't think and you would face them very often.

Marked Prey could make them pretty good boss killers though, it may just not be strong enough of an ability atm.

I would include enemies like the beetles and spiders as animals, and they are a pain.

Also, almost all hunters have an animal companion. Rangers themselves are like hunters. What do hunters do? They associate with nature, usually have tracking skills, and kill with projectiles like a bow or firearm. Often with an animal with them. Sounds like a Ranger to me.

I like your ideas, although I confess I have none of my own. For some reason the Ranger class has never appealed to me in any game (as of yet, anyway). So I've not even tried one in PoE so far (although this is partially due to the issues with it in the Beta). But focusing more on the link between the Ranger and the animal companion is probably a good place to start.

Also, almost all hunters have an animal companion. Rangers themselves are like hunters. What do hunters do? They associate with nature, usually have tracking skills, and kill with projectiles like a bow or firearm. Often with an animal with them. Sounds like a Ranger to me.

Usually a dog :p My neighbor is one (among other things) and he has several Hunting Dogs. I completely understand your point of view, but you have to think about it from a usefulness perspective. The concept of favoured enemy was removed in D&D 4E in favor of this:

A ranger with the Hunter's Quarry class feature can, once per turn as a minor action, designate the nearest visible enemy as his or her quarry. This designation lasts until the encounter ends, the quarry is defeated, or the ranger designates a different target. Once per round, the ranger deals 1d6 per tier damage when hitting his or her quarry with an attack.

That's much more useful as it gives you something every round if you're attacking your quarry, as opposed to only if they are the right type of monster. I think this approach should be kept in Pillars of Eternity.

They could also make it so that when the Ranger and the Animal Companion are both attacking the "Marked Prey", they both get the bonuses, rather than just the Ranger (if that's not how it already works).

Marked Prey should be brought up to at least Level 2, if not Level 1.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 2

Wounding Shot and Driving Flight could be made into short self buffs pretty easily I guess.

You could add some more similar buffs so the ranger can pick how to shoot his arrows/bullets. I'd have them on fairly short durations and unlimited use. The point being that the higher duration from int allows you to spend less time casting and more time shooting. Not sure how ranged weapons work, but it's often said that power>speed, so this might also be some indirect buff?

Another idea would be to do something with recovery times. Interpreting a "multishot" as a buff that removes recovery times for shooting allowing you to shoot maybe 3 arrows uninterrupted or to temporarily kite an enemy. Although that would be weird for weapons needing reloading.

Animal companions having active stuff sounds like a good idea. Expanding on that they could perhaps make up some combo abilities, where both the ranger and companion use something at the same time and if both hit get some 3rd benefit on top. Or make some conditional abilities, like Stalker's Link. "Can only be used on hobbled targets or targets being attacked by the animal companion" for example if we wanna get extra creative.

Not sure if they trade stamina too, but if they do I'd put in some kind of stamina trade/heal ability, as in "Transfer xy stamina from ranger to companion, heal the transferred amount over moderate time" and opposite thing for the pet.

Also what happens when the pet goes unconscious, I assume some kind of defensive penalty (stamina/health or whatnot, I remember wizarsds got -con when their familiars died in 3e)? Could have some "revenge" thing that gives the ranger +offense -defense, a-la barb rage.

In general I think rangers should have a kind of self-sufficient "vibe". The ranger and the companion alone against the world and all that. Not sure how it is now, but they could make the ranger/pet dynamic flexible in term of roles, as in sometimes the ranger does the damage and the pet enables it and sometimes the pet is the one mauling the target while the ranger supports it.

Anyway I'm pretty sure they have a bunch of ideas that didn't make the cut. Maybe they could streamline the direction of the class a bit and take another look.

Usually a dog :p My neighbor is one (among other things) and he has several Hunting Dogs. I completely understand your point of view, but you have to think about it from a usefulness perspective. The concept of favoured enemy was removed in D&D 4E in favor of this:

A ranger with the Hunter's Quarry class feature can, once per turn as a minor action, designate the nearest visible enemy as his or her quarry. This designation lasts until the encounter ends, the quarry is defeated, or the ranger designates a different target. Once per round, the ranger deals 1d6 per tier damage when hitting his or her quarry with an attack.

That's much more useful as it gives you something every round if you're attacking your quarry, as opposed to only if they are the right type of monster. I think this approach should be kept in Pillars of Eternity.

They could also make it so that when the Ranger and the Animal Companion are both attacking the "Marked Prey", they both get the bonuses, rather than just the Ranger (if that's not how it already works).

Marked Prey should be brought up to at least Level 2, if not Level 1.

As I have said, it would only be a talent that would merely be an option. If you think something else would be more useful; go ahead and choose something else. I feel that a hunter talent would make the Ranger much more interesting. 

I agree that marked prey should be improved; since the Ranger is clearly under-powered. 

EDIT: I get that the concept of a favored enemy was scrapped, but they can easily bring it back. Right now the Ranger is lamest class, and being favored against animals would make it much more interesting.

Edited by Namutree

It makes them much more fragile than they ought to be.

Come on, that means you can kill enemies ranger twice has fast by attacking both him/her and the pet at the same time...

I think some of the Ranger talents/abilities bonus should be pet's talent/abilities* and the character attribute bonuses should affect the pet too.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

While I love the shared health pool.  Overall I think they need this boon first and foremost.  Ranger's armor affects the pet's (even if there is a cap).  That does 2 things.  First makes the pet harder to hit and therefore harder to kill the ranger which is an issue.  Second, it makes armor for the ranger useful to have.

Sorry I missed the word talent. Yes bonuses versus types could be talents.

It happens to the best of us. Except for Senator Ron Wyden of Oregon. He never misses a word for some reason.

Animal companions should be upgradable and have passive abilities. Here's some ideas. I've made them into three tiers. Level 1, 2, 3.

* Antelope - Lvl 1. Higher defenses. Lvl 2. Increased evasion from attacks (10% attacks miss). Lvl 3. Increased movement speed (150%) as health drops below 25%.
* Bear - Lvl 1. Higher Damage Threshold. Lvl 2. 50% bleeding damage (DOT) chance (5 hp every second for 4 seconds) with every critical hit. Lvl 3. 100% bleeding damage (DOT) chance (5 hp every second for 4 seconds) with every critical hit.
* Boar - Lvl 1. Gains Might at low Stamina. Lvl 2. 50% chance of knockdowns with every critical hit. Lvl 3. 100% knockdown chance with every critical hit.
* Lion - Lvl 1. Terrifying Roar ability. Lvl 2. 50% bleeding damage (DOT) chance (1% of enemies health pool every second for 5 seconds) with every critical hit. Lvl 3. Bloodlust: increases attack speed/movement speed by 25% as enemy drops below 30% health.
* Stag - Lvl 1. Carnage ability (like barbarian's, but limited-use). Lvl 2. Knockback and buffet. 2-5% chance of knockdowns that throw enemy 5 paces back with every hit. 10% chance with critical. Lvl 3. Maim. 50% bleeding damage chance (DOT) for 10 seconds (3 hp every second for 10 seconds) with every critical hit.
* Wolf - Faster movement rate. Lvl 2. Bloodlust: increases attack speed/movement speed by 50% as enemy drops below 15% health. Lvl 3. Predator's game. Wolf is invisible unless attacking, spooted by magic, or has any status effects (hobbled, flanked, poisoned, etc).

Clearly needs some balancing. But it makes "upgrading your pet" as another ability. Perhaps at levels 4 and 8?

Edited by Hormalakh
  • Like 4

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

Animal companions should be upgradable and have passive abilities. Here's some ideas. I've made them into three tiers. Level 1, 2, 3.

* Antelope - Lvl 1. Higher defenses. Lvl 2. Increased evasion from attacks (10% attacks miss). Lvl 3. Increased movement speed (150%) as health drops below 25%.

* Bear - Lvl 1. Higher Damage Threshold. Lvl 2. 50% bleeding damage (DOT) chance (5 hp every second for 4 seconds) with every critical hit. Lvl 3. 100% bleeding damage (DOT) chance (5 hp every second for 4 seconds) with every critical hit.

* Boar - Lvl 1. Gains Might at low Stamina. Lvl 2. 50% chance of knockdowns with every critical hit. Lvl 3. 100% knockdown chance with every critical hit.

* Lion - Lvl 1. Terrifying Roar ability. Lvl 2. 50% bleeding damage (DOT) chance (1% of enemies health pool every second for 5 seconds) with every critical hit. Lvl 3. Bloodlust: increases attack speed/movement speed by 25% as enemy drops below 30% health.

* Stag - Lvl 1. Carnage ability (like barbarian's, but limited-use). Lvl 2. Knockback and buffet. 2-5% chance of knockdowns that throw enemy 5 paces back with every hit. 10% chance with critical. Lvl 3. Maim. 50% bleeding damage chance (DOT) for 10 seconds (3 hp every second for 10 seconds) with every critical hit.

* Wolf - Faster movement rate. Lvl 2. Bloodlust: increases attack speed/movement speed by 50% as enemy drops below 15% health. Lvl 3. Predator's game. Wolf is invisible unless attacking, spooted by magic, or has any status effects (hobbled, flanked, poisoned, etc).

Clearly needs some balancing. But it makes "upgrading your pet" as another ability. Perhaps at levels 4 and 8?

Shift current ability at level 7 to 6 (driving flight) and level 8 to 7(binding roots). Put upgrade pet at level 4 and 8.

• Like 2

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

Freakin' awesome!

I have to double fist this idea. This would definitely add some spice to the class and make both the Ranger and his or her companion more interesting.

• Like 1

I wanted to say how great this idea is again! Sorry for spamming, but it's so awesome! Difficult to balance unless they made these upgrades more tame, but still really cool!

There may simply be some fundamental problems with this class as designed. If an animal companion that is equally effective (or close to) as a normal character class in melee, it essentially provides an additional party member that doesn't count against experience gained. This becomes all the more true if talents can extend to the animal companion as well. Using the companion to utilize abilities would provide a distinctive advantage, in that the Ranger would be able to utilize abilities without cast/cool-down while simultaneously providing constant DPS.

I don't think enhancing the combat prowess of the ranger's animal companion is the best route. I don't think utilizing the companion as a tank is wise (for the above mentioned reasons). The companion serves more as a flanker to harry and disrupt the enemy and create advantage for the ranger, while the ranger works in tandem to both seize advantage and provide support to the animal companion. How durable the animal companion should be is debatable, but the class concept will totally fall apart without a shared stamina resource.

• Like 1

There may simply be some fundamental problems with this class as designed. If an animal companion that is equally effective (or close to) as a normal character class in melee, it essentially provides an additional party member that doesn't count against experience gained. This becomes all the more true if talents can extend to the animal companion as well. Using the companion to utilize abilities would provide a distinctive advantage, in that the Ranger would be able to utilize abilities without cast/cool-down while simultaneously providing constant DPS.

I don't think enhancing the combat prowess of the ranger's animal companion is the best route. I don't think utilizing the companion as a tank is wise (for the above mentioned reasons). The companion serves more as a flanker to harry and disrupt the enemy and create advantage for the ranger, while the ranger works in tandem to both seize advantage and provide support to the animal companion. How durable the animal companion should be is debatable, but the class concept will totally fall apart without a shared stamina resource.

The animal companion is not as effective as a normal character in melee. Right now the ranger is too weak and needs an upgrade. Hormalakh's idea is a bit too powerful, but the concept is sound.

Edited by Namutree

The animal companion is not as effective as a normal character in melee. Right now the ranger is too weak and needs an upgrade. Hormalakh's idea is a bit too powerful, but the concept is sound.

I didn't say they were. I'm cautioning against bringing them up to be.

• Like 2