Can we get per rest Health restoring abilities/spells?

archangel979

As much as I would love health potions, I'm now at the point where I've gotten used to not having them. Although, I wished I had learned about 'maimed' before 2 characters died and a third glitched out so much she may as well be dead. 

Overall, while a minor inconvenience, I'll have to say no to potions (as much as I hate to say it when my characters drop to 3 HP...)

My Blind Journey through the Beta. Join my transgender Paladin as I struggle to get to grips with the game and its mechanics. Well, I never said my first journey into an isometric RPG would be smooth, now did I?

My Adventure through Baldur's Gate. Inspired by my play of PoE, I decide to pick up a much fabled game of the genre. Join Solana as I delve into this world of weird, wonderful and annoying people.

BG-style death or PE-style permadeath makes more sense.

I think (semi)permadeath should be the default, or the only possible option. If you want to revive your character, go to a church/temple or reload the latest quick save.

Well, the reason permadeath isn't the default (but can be enabled) is because a lot of people hate permadeath.

The reason death is permanent is, I think, that Obsidian is trying to give us a setting that (a) requires minimal suspension of disbelief, and (b) isn't a crazy magitech Star Trek setting where godlike spellcasters and magical items can get around virtually every physical limitation of human existence. That can be fun in its own right, but what they billed to us was a medieval fantasy game, not a, "nobody think about the implications of being able to reverse death1," game, or an RPG about "what would happen if people used the Flametongue to power otherwise inefficient steam technology that has existed since the time of the Byzantines?"2

1. Ohgodwhat
  2. "Shadow Thieves? Hah! I'll just build a railroad monopoly, join the Council of Six, and visit Spellhold on a routine inspection."
  • Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Put me down for a no as well - frankly I see no reason why going back to town to rest/heal/resupply/ is degenerative gameplay from an RP perspective - you fight you get hurt you take a tactical retreat and decide your next moves - maybe buy some additional supplies now that you have determined the types of enemies you may be facing in the latest area.

• Like 1

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Put me down for a no as well - frankly I see no reason why going back to town to rest/heal/resupply/ is degenerative gameplay from an RP perspective - you fight you get hurt you take a tactical retreat and decide your next moves - maybe buy some additional supplies now that you have determined the types of enemies you may be facing in the latest area.

I don't know about degenerate (a word that is rapidly becoming meaningless on this forum), but it's definitely obnoxious.

Well, the reason permadeath isn't the default (but can be enabled) is because a lot of people hate permadeath.

The reason death is permanent is, I think, that Obsidian is trying to give us a setting that (a) requires minimal suspension of disbelief, and (b) isn't a crazy magitech Star Trek setting where godlike spellcasters and magical items can get around virtually every physical limitation of human existence. That can be fun in its own right, but what they billed to us was a medieval fantasy game, not a, "nobody think about the implications of being able to reverse death1," game, or an RPG about "what would happen if people used the Flametongue to power otherwise inefficient steam technology that has existed since the time of the Byzantines?"2

1. Ohgodwhat
  2. "Shadow Thieves? Hah! I'll just build a railroad monopoly, join the Council of Six, and visit Spellhold on a routine inspection."

Who the **** wanted minimal suspension of disbelief? Baldur's Gate was high fantasy, this should be high fantasy too. Also death is funny place to draw the line for suspension of disbelief in this game.

I don't know about degenerate (a word that is rapidly becoming meaningless on this forum), but it's definitely obnoxious.

I use the term "degenerate gameplay" for the same thing Josh used it in the IE games. This whole cluster**** of a mess originated from Josh's view on the degenerate gameplay in the IE games. I have yet to see one system in PoE, that was made to cure degenerative gameplay in the IE games, work.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Who the **** wanted minimal suspension of disbelief? Baldur's Gate was high fantasy, this should be high fantasy too. Also death is funny place to draw the line for suspension of disbelief in this game.

I don't know that the lack of resurrection, in particular, is good or bad. They want to build a world that sort of makes sense, and in fairness, the result is no different than a ton of other games where 0 HP = TKO. This particular thing, at least, is not a big deal (although some of the issues surrounding it are).

Again...why not make out of combat healing a trait that you have to invest in? Solves multiple problems.

1) extends adventure day

2) trade off between combat/utility vs healing

3) accessible to all classes on an equal level

4) flexible to fit all player skill levels

5) since its out of combat...doesn't negate stamina spells or take away from combat

Nah, it works as it is.

The idea is you're supposed to be be able to keep your characters alive and the maimed state is your get of jail card and if you bugger it up again, you're done. So, don't suck so much that your characters die.

• Like 2

You read my post.

You have been eaten by a grue.

So the extending adventuring day argument again? While we're restoring health you want to check in spell re-learning in there too? And surely the 'cool abilities' is a different thing entirely? The amount that I've played I think the per rest/encounter skills are well managed. Knockdown from fighter works well as per encounter, having Lay of Hands from Paladin move to per encounter would give them a massive heal whenever you need it and you might as well not bother with a priest.

You read my post.

You have been eaten by a grue.

No healing spells maybe but no healing items seems a bit too much.  It is easy enough to make a potion or bandage that is a minor health buff but is only per day.  It even makes sense, 2 bandages really have no more effect than one on the same wound, you don't drink a bottle of medicine in one go just because more is better right?

It is kind of hard to believe that there is no basic medicine in this world, everyone would have to be brain dead not to realise that even sticking your hand over an open wound prevents rapid blood loss, oh look a piece of cloth wrapped around serves the same purpose.  Instead it's a case of, I'll just light this fire, lie down for a bit and I'll be okay.  How stupid are these people?

It seems like this is a thing just because it is on a list somewhere...no healing.

If we go along the lines that combat wounds are major while everyone else is using their herbal remedies for colds etc then characters need to rest for 4-6 weeks after each major combat and I think we can all agree that seems silly too.  It is a game after all.

This doesn't make the game easier, it makes it more realistic and more interactive.  Trying to get a character to bandage someone mid combat, chugging a potion without getting hit in the face, both add to the gameplay.  Health, Stamina and Damage are just numbers. No healing doesn't make sense except from the perspective of making the game more hardcore, so just add no healing to the list of things in hardcore mode. 

Make the campfire double healing effects and you got your adventuring day extension with more realism and resource based, cleaning wounds with hot water and bandage, boiling up potions etc, makes sense to me.  Infinite potion chugging in the IE games was bad but going to the opposite extreme seems just as bad to me.  

• Like 1

No healing spells maybe but no healing items seems a bit too much.  It is easy enough to make a potion or bandage that is a minor health buff but is only per day.  It even makes sense, 2 bandages really have no more effect than one on the same wound, you don't drink a bottle of medicine in one go just because more is better right?

It is kind of hard to believe that there is no basic medicine in this world, everyone would have to be brain dead not to realise that even sticking your hand over an open wound prevents rapid blood loss, oh look a piece of cloth wrapped around serves the same purpose.  Instead it's a case of, I'll just light this fire, lie down for a bit and I'll be okay.  How stupid are these people?

It seems like this is a thing just because it is on a list somewhere...no healing.

If we go along the lines that combat wounds are major while everyone else is using their herbal remedies for colds etc then characters need to rest for 4-6 weeks after each major combat and I think we can all agree that seems silly too.  It is a game after all.

This doesn't make the game easier, it makes it more realistic and more interactive.  Trying to get a character to bandage someone mid combat, chugging a potion without getting hit in the face, both add to the gameplay.  Health, Stamina and Damage are just numbers. No healing doesn't make sense except from the perspective of making the game more hardcore, so just add no healing to the list of things in hardcore mode. 

Make the campfire double healing effects and you got your adventuring day extension with more realism and resource based, cleaning wounds with hot water and bandage, boiling up potions etc, makes sense to me.  Infinite potion chugging in the IE games was bad but going to the opposite extreme seems just as bad to me.  

It's way to late for a change in direction now. Tweaks are possible, but whole new game concepts like potions that restore health; they would have to do a lot of work to make it balanced. It would also make the health/stamina divide pointless.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I guess we will need to wait for mods to fix the mess of the base game. Out of all the games I followed this is the first one where I am expecting mods even before the game is out. Or maybe I should not be wondering considering NWN2 was almost unplayable without couple of mods (AI, extra spells/classes, and so on)

Edited by archangel979

I guess we will need to wait for mods to fix the mess of the base game. Out of all the games I followed this is the first one where I am expecting mods even before the game is out. Or maybe I should not be wondering considering NWN2 was almost unplayable without couple of mods (AI, extra spells/classes, and so on)

Coming to that conclusion before you even see what the final base game is like seems a little ... spurious.

• Like 1

Im ok with the no res magic. Ok with no health healing magic as long as the current health/stam system get a serios adjustment (though i find the compliete lack of healing magic in the setting a bit odd). i think it would be nice to have some type of rare health healing for last pushes through dungions though.

Day 1 mod for me will be unlimited camping supplies.

Me too.  I don't care what anyone else thinks, this is a single player game that I will be playing at my own pace.  Having to go back to an inn may be "realisitc" in a certain sense, but it doesn't equal fun game play.

Honestly I would prefer a system where stamina regenerates out of combat.  In battle, after your stamina is depleted (taking hits, performing strong abilities, etc.), you begin to take health damage.  Health can only be recovered by resting.  As your health gets lower, the amount of stamina you recover post battle also decreases.

The key difference here is you don't take health damage until stamina depletes.

Edited by Zeeky
  • Like 1

Day 1 mod for me will be unlimited camping supplies.

Me too.  I don't care what anyone else thinks, this is a single player game that I will be playing at my own pace.  Having to go back to an inn may be "realisitc" in a certain sense, but it doesn't equal fun game play.

Honestly I would prefer a system where stamina regenerates out of combat.  In battle, after your stamina is depleted (taking hits, performing strong abilities, etc.), you begin to take health damage.  Health can only be recovered by resting.  As your health gets lower, the amount of stamina you recover post battle also decreases.

The key difference here is you don't take health damage until stamina depletes.

Sensuki already made one that gives 9999 Camping Supplies. PM me if you want the link to download it (although I cant vouch for how long he will leave it up).