Current issue with weapon sets

Hormalakh

One of the issues I'm having with the current weapon sets is that you cannot reuse a weapon in a different set. For example, let's say you have a one-handed sword, a dagger, a shield, and an axe. From this, you can only create two weapon sets. Sword-dagger, and axe-shield. What if I want to use my axe-dagger in one fight, axe-sword in another, and sword-shield in a third? Currently I can't do this and I wouldn't have the opportunity to change my weapon sets unless I'm at a select site.

This should be fixed to play more like TOEE's did where you can make mulitple weapon sets with the same set of weapons.

• Like 2

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

Thanks for the response Adam. They got you working late hours again or are you compiling code?

All the best to you.

Edited by Hormalakh

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

My DXdiag:

Can you also make it so that you can select a weapon set and attack people with it ? Currently you have to select the weapon set and then click the attack button in the center UI. It would be far more useful if you could click weapon sets to attack people.

• Like 4

Can you also make it so that you can select a weapon set and attack people with it ? Currently you have to select the weapon set and then click the attack button in the center UI. It would be far more useful if you could click weapon sets to attack people.

If the weapon sets were on the UI (like IWD2) I might agree but I don't see much point in it if they remain on the inventory screen - nor am I certain that I would like changing weapon sets to always put me in attack mode either

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

If you can figure out how not to make it confusing then sure - I agree, but we haven't figured out a good way of communicating this. We did some work recently to make it less confusing, so please let me know what you think once your hands on the next build.

Follow me on twitter - @adam_brennecke

Well the first thing that pops to mind is that you could just give the weapon sets their own individual slot on the action bar instead of making it a pop-up menu like it is now. If weapon sets are empty, remove their slots from the action bar, rather than having the pop-up menu.

When you click on a weapon set, it selects it (and the box is highlighted) and the cursor changes to an attack cursor.

That way there's no need for an extra pop-up element, and the empty weapon set slots that are currently shown in the pop-up element (superfluous) are not shown in the action bar, just like if you don't have access to 5th level Wizard spells - it doesn't show 5th level wizard spells on the action bar.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 4

I had an idea about the weapon sets and the UI for it. Did you happen to see it Adam? It's here.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/taking-look-at-grimoire-v257.html

Your selection of the weapon set circumscribes the appropriate set. Clicking on that weapon set once (if it is an unselected weapon set) next to the portrait would activate that weapon set. Clicking twice (or once on an already selected set) would activate the "attack" command.

My DXdiag:

a) Why not BG-style? Click the weapon set to swap to it - then (or if already using that set) clicking will highlight it and change cursor to 'attack'

(so a double-click can select attack with new weapon set.  (or does the icon disappear on select so you'd have to reclick the portrait again?)

b) Right click for swapping to new weapon set without attacking - left click to swap and attack? (the latter being used more often)

I can see wanting to swap weapon sets outside of battle (for flavour or just to get ready after switching in the last battle), or selecting first, moving, then attacking - but it would be less common than wanting to switch to that set because you want to use that set right now.

• Like 2

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Would you want to switch weapon sets but not activate attack mode?

Well it wasn't an issue in the Infinity Engine games. I should install Icewind Dale 2 and see how it was handled there.

Yeah left click / right click functionality also works, as Silent Winter said. Right click to swap without attack, left click to swap and attack.

Edited by Sensuki

Adam - Silent Winter's suggestion is good. Another option would just be that when you (left) click on the new weapon set it switches to it and changes to attack cursor. Then a right click will remove the attack cursor if you didn't want to attack.

Speaking of - is right click going to be a universal cancel out of whatever the cursor is currently doing? I.e. if you have people selected, right click deselects them. If you've got a spell readied on the cursor, right click removes it. Etc. Not sure if that's the planned implementation, but if not, it'd be a very good idea to consider it IMO. Having a universal cancel helps a lot with UI usability and intuitiveness. :)

Edited by Matt516
  • Like 4

Well for one, right click cancel isn't working, that's how I'd cancel out of stuff in the IE games. I don't think it's a big deal if it brings up the attack cursor because you can just select another character, select the whole party or issue a move command (or cancel) and that will change the cursor.

Edited by Sensuki

Would you want to switch weapon sets but not activate attack mode?

Well if someone wants that they could just click it and then cancel attack mode (using right-click or, ideally, ESC), right?

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Well for one, right click cancel isn't working, that's how I'd cancel out of stuff in the IE games. I don't think it's a big deal if it brings up the attack cursor because you can just select another character, select the whole party or issue a move command (or cancel) and that will change the cursor.

Yeah... you could do that... but I'd rather just right click to cancel. :)

Adam (if you're still reading), is right click to cancel a planned UI feature?

• 6 months later...