Boys will be boys on the internet (<- sarcasm)

Starwars

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-things-i-learned-as-internets-most-hated-person/

I managed to completely miss this when it was going on, but, yet again... Well done internet guys. Yet again you show the world why *feminism* (oooh, scary word) is sorely needed.

But hey, I guess it's just the internetz right? Ugh, goddamn...

• Like 2

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Quinn's getting pretty famous now from all this.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Perpetual victimhood does wonders for careers.

Find it a bit funny how people who think there is a problem with corruption in the videogame press are all misogynists to these people, but not suprised.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Well, as it started out as a misogynistic conspiracy then everything is invalid or people should use another hashtag. So the talking point. Is an interesting example of PR at work, all of this fuss. She's had a decent spike in her donations too, so this is ending pretty well for her.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-things-i-learned-as-internets-most-hated-person/

I managed to completely miss this when it was going on, but, yet again... Well done internet guys. Yet again you show the world why *feminism* (oooh, scary word) is sorely needed.

But hey, I guess it's just the internetz right? Ugh, goddamn...

Excellent article, I suggest everyone reads it. It highlights the depths that people opposed to gender equality will stoop to. Its both pathetic and concerning

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Is bashing on Quinn really bashing on gender equality ? You can hate a woman, after all.

Is bashing on Quinn really bashing on gender equality ? You can hate a woman, after all.

Hate for one woman is hate for all women? Then I guess the SJWs harassing the #notyourshield folks hate women. Good to know.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

It's not "bashing" Malcador. Did you read the article? Do you really find nothing in there that targets the fact that she's a female specifically? 

I wonder how far stuff like this has to go and how many instances it needs to happen before people realize that, yes, maybe people do act rather differently against females on the internet.

• Like 1

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

It's not "bashing" Malcador. Did you read the article? Do you really find nothing in there that targets the fact that she's a female specifically?

I wonder how far stuff like this has to go and how many instances it needs to happen before people realize that, yes, maybe people do act rather differently against females on the internet.

So we now have to shoulder responsibility for every troll who harassed any woman?

So we now have to shoulder responsibility for every troll who harassed any woman?

Quite. This whole episode has turned into a massive axe-grinding session by vested interests on the internet.

However, nothing, absolutely nothing excuses the behaviour and language directed at Zoe Quinn. She's not Joan of Arc, she's not some sort of online Nelson Mandela. She is a typical Generation 'Y' person who seems unable to live her life outside of the internet. Nonetheless, were she my sister or indeed friend (and why wouldn't she be) I'd be the online version of Charles Bronson right now.

• Like 2

sonsofgygax.JPG

Well it is bashing. Do I need to use a more outraged or emotional term ?

Abuse uses custom ammunition for the target, so insulting a woman will have terms that apply to a woman. Much like racial abuse. Not that is ok, but it is the way it works, unfortunately, so I don't read too much into the terms used to insult someone online.

I've seen the stuff she has said has been said and done to her, usual fare (I guess years of CS made me immune to this). Regardless, people hating Quinn probably have many motivations - the lulz probably the most prominently as she and her lot are a very reactive target. People do seem to treat women differently, online either positively or negatively, heh. As you mentioned the Internet "needs" feminism, so the aim is to prevent women from being bashed online ?

In general another persons sexlife is indeed not our damn problem, but when someone screws journalists reporting on the industry they work in then that is the publics buisness, and when that someone responds to the allegations by crying "omg mysogany!" instead of adressing the massive conflict of interest you can't blame the public for getting really pissed off, then when a crapload of journalists join up behind her, people with views opposing hers are harassed without having been involved in something potentially corrupt, and a ton of potential connection between various people within the game media is discovered, then that's our problem even more so.

Also if someone wrote "I wish I lived in Nazi Germany" with the hashtag #gamersgatesuxx that doesn't mean everyone using the hashtag should stop.

Edited by Shallow

Wait a damn minute, are you trying to tell me that people will act like a-holes while protected by the anonymity provided by the internet? Mind = blown.

To some people this comes as a surprise, seriously. :p

No but you can acknowledge it and stop dismissing it whenever the issues comes up. Its not such an unreasonable expectation KP.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"Yet again you show the world why *feminism* (oooh, scary word) is sorely needed."

\Feminism is not needed. It's a sexist mvoement that is based on hating men. It implies that for one to beleive in equality one must be feminine. Going from that it is clear that feminism believes for one to be masculine that person must be anti equality. Which is bull.

I'm an equalist. I believe in equality. Feminism hates equality. They don't want equality. This is proven time and time again.

Whining about trolls on the net and claims it's because you are femasle is bll. Even in that whiny article Quinn gives examples of males being attacked and trolled. Internet trolls don't care if you are male, female, or whatever. They will attack your weaknesses. It's not about what is between your legs. To make it that makes you sexist.

Feminism is evil. Chauvinists are evil.

Equalists are AWESOME.

"Nonetheless, were she my sister or indeed friend (and why wouldn't she be) I'd be the online version of Charles Bronson right now."

So, you believe in  murder over words? That is evil.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

No but you can acknowledge it and stop dismissing it whenever the issues comes up. Its not such an unreasonable expectation KP.
I don't deny that she is being harassed, I don't believe that she is being targeted just because she is a woman. Stop with the strawmen Bruce. Edited by KaineParker
  • Like 4

I would hope one would use a stronger term than "bashing" when people start calling up your parents but maybe I am just sensitive?

And yes, racial abuse for example is called racism. There is quite the specific reason for that, and it has to do with history. So with females being targetted in the manner of this story, you also have to apply that there is quite a lot of history of women being "second-class citizens". So I know I don't have much trouble with those "silly girls" getting their panties in a bunch over a bunch of internet comments about them being raped, and then the harassment also spilling over in "real life". Yes, silly girls. They should develop tougher skin. Clearly. 

If one could separate the internet from everything that's happened in the world, then sure. But in a world where girls who walk the streets at night risk getting raped (stupid girls right? walking the streets at night, it's their own fault!), perhaps words echoing those action carry a lot of weight. Even on the internetz!

And how very convinient it is to pull the good ol' "it's the internet, lolz" thing. Not at all indicative of a problem.

Interesting that bruce has never hardcore defended a male who has been trolled, attacked, and harassed on the internet. Why so sexist, Bruce? You yeah, you are a feminazi who doesn't care about males.

You are the type of feminazi who wants women to have the right to go to war but only if they are well protected behind a wall of men so they can't be killed.  :rollseyes:

You don't blink if a woman hits a man but woe to the man who hits the woman.

LMAO

• Like 2

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Interesting that bruce has never hardcore defended a male who has been trolled, attacked, and harassed on the internet. Why so sexist, Bruce? You yeah, you are a feminazi who doesn't care about males.

You are the type of feminazi who wants women to have the right to go to war but only if they are well protected behind a wall of men so they can't be killed.  :rollseyes:

You don't blink if a woman hits a man but woe to the man who hits the woman.

LMAO

Volo I'm not going to dignify that comment with a decent response, its just utterly fallacious and ridiculous :geek:

John Milton 

I would hope one would use a stronger term than "bashing" when people start calling up your parents but maybe I am just sensitive?

And yes, racial abuse for example is called racism. There is quite the specific reason for that, and it has to do with history. So with females being targetted in the manner of this story, you also have to apply that there is quite a lot of history of women being "second-class citizens". So I know I don't have much trouble with those "silly girls" getting their panties in a bunch over a bunch of internet comments about them being raped, and then the harassment also spilling over in "real life". Yes, silly girls. They should develop tougher skin. Clearly. 

If one could separate the internet from everything that's happened in the world, then sure. But in a world where girls who walk the streets at night risk getting raped (stupid girls right? walking the streets at night, it's their own fault!), perhaps words echoing those action carry a lot of weight. Even on the internetz!

And how very convinient it is to pull the good ol' "it's the internet, lolz" thing. Not at all indicative of a problem.

Well, your hope is misplaced, it's bashing, simple, your feelings on how best to describe this are your own. Not really sure what you're on about with your second paragraph, but not entirely surprised by any of that. Third one, we were talking of the Internet, not how to make the world safe for women as is feminism's aim, I'm gathering.

The problem is as Gfted1 pointed out, but no real way to lose that unless we make all of the (First) world nice and polite or strip anonymity from the Internet which runs risks greater than people reading nasty text typed to them. Fix that, as easily said as it is, and then it's done. Unless restricting that to women is the aim, but that's a bit strange.

See examples of this on how snarky people must be online when they discuss, this, be they a SJW clicktivist or some other jagoff in their Twitter hugbox.

Edited by Malcador

Perpetual victimhood does wonders for careers.

Find it a bit funny how people who think there is a problem with corruption in the videogame press are all misogynists to these people, but not suprised.

The biggest issue here is that gaming "journalists" are almost universally male. Criticizing ****ing one's way to good reviews can thus always be dismissed as misogyny or homophobia... :p

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif