Brace of pistols

From what I understand the game will have flintlock (or something similar) firearms.

Will it be possible to buy a brace of pistols as a weapon, it could have a really long reload time to signify reloading for instance 3 pistols, but after emptying them you could switch to a sword and go toe to toe if the pistols didn't do the job.

I don't think this would be too hard to implement since you could just treat it as one weapon with three shots and then a long reload mechanically and the picture would just be three guns.

I think it would be pretty interesting especially for a swashbuckling rouge build and it would make sense in world since it isn't exactly genius level thinking to take three pistols with you instead of one.

Of course the pistols would have to be weaker then a musket, or less accurate, or with a shorter range, or all of the above to balance it out a bit.

• Like 1

I don't think something like that is planned.

I like the idea of carrying a brace of pistols, though, if not the implementation (You'd still need a 'switching weapons' animation between shots. Also, why am I not allowed to divvy up these three pistols among my party?)

I think my favorite implementation would be to allow pistols in the Quick Item slots. You get 6 per character. Might be a bit overpowered, though, if everyone can use it.

• Like 2

I don't think something like that is planned.

I like the idea of carrying a brace of pistols, though, if not the implementation (You'd still need a 'switching weapons' animation between shots. Also, why am I not allowed to divvy up these three pistols among my party?)

I think my favorite implementation would be to allow pistols in the Quick Item slots. You get 6 per character. Might be a bit overpowered, though, if everyone can use it.

They could also balance them out with jamming rules--a percentage chance that the gun will misfire or jam on each discharge, requiring a mechanics check (or end of combat) to fix.

IIRC, they are using the wheellock technology, which was expensive back then. So in many cases I'd expect that only enemy leaders would have one.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I was just thinking of the simplest way to do it, obviously it could be implemented differently and much better than that , especially with the mechanics check angle, but I think that would just open it up to a lot of bugs and require more work to put in. Although I have no experience with coding or programming so I could be wrong on that.

Of course If guns are expensive three guns would be three times as expensive.

I'm actually not so sure that would be the easiest way to implement it.

You're making an exception to the Fire->Reload mechanics - and that might be more difficult than expected. I don't think there are multi-shot weapons in the game at all at the moment. I mean, if there are, then it would be pretty easy. But then a brace of three pistols is no different from a three-shot revolver that's a little slower to reload. (Aside from the fluffy text description and in-inventory graphics.)

As far as jamming goes, would this only be for the Brace of Pistols or Quick-Item implementation, or also for normally equipped guns? I ... think the former would be pretty weird, and for the latter - I'm not a fan of turning all guns into "Awesome but Unreliable".

The way I'd see it implemented, guns in the quick item bar would basically be encounter powers. 1 per pistol/slot used. No reloading in combat.

Concern about overpoweredness comes from running around with 6 characters, each with ~2+ 'free' hard-hitting pistol shots, without having to give up a weapon set for it.

• Like 1

If this is implemented, I will have at least one character who fights exclusively with single-shot weapons and abilities. Maybe a chanter. Hopefully the weapon switch system will allow you to bypass the reload time of a gun (but not recovery time obviously) by switching to another until they run out (as happened in real fights in this "era" of technology). That'd be fun. :)

I've seen that some weapons give you special abilities...a brace of pistols could be an off hand weapon that gave you three per encounter shots but also a reload power that just took a long time. By design, it might be too long to be particularly useful in most battles.

Better quality pistol braces could even have different abilities, like a rooting shot or an dot shot.

Mostly, I'd just like to see the brace of pistols I implemented in some fashion.

Edited by jones092201@gmail.com

Yes please.

They could also balance them out with jamming rules--a percentage chance that the gun will misfire or jam on each discharge, requiring a mechanics check (or end of combat) to fix.

My experience has been that rules like these are pretty cumbersome and obnoxious. Also: unnecessary. Bear in mind that plate armor was entirely capable of deflecting shots from an early firearm (supplemented by its specific curvature), and that against an unarmored foe, an arrow might very well cause equal or even greater injury. Guns were fast (on the first shot, anyway), easily concealed, fantastically effective at striking range, and required minimal training and effort, but they didn't become clearly superior until the dawn of the flintlock. And all of this was true in a world where nobody has laser eyes.

• Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

As far as jamming goes, would this only be for the Brace of Pistols or Quick-Item implementation, or also for normally equipped guns? I ... think the former would be pretty weird, and for the latter - I'm not a fan of turning all guns into "Awesome but Unreliable".

Because that would be too historically accurate and we should burn all simulationists at the stake? ;)

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I understand the desire, as I once played a pirate from the Nelanther Isles with Thug, Blooded, Improved Initiative, Quick Draw, Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Pistol, and four pistols at the ready.  However, it is tricky to implement without adding new stand-alone weapons (i.e., two matching weapons as a combined single item).  For murderous multishots, the blunderbuss is pretty good even if it isn't as cool-looking.

• Like 1

I understand the desire, as I once played a pirate from the Nelanther Isles with Thug, Blooded, Improved Initiative, Quick Draw, Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Pistol, and four pistols at the ready.  However, it is tricky to implement without adding new stand-alone weapons (i.e., two matching weapons as a combined single item).  For murderous multishots, the blunderbuss is pretty good even if it isn't as cool-looking.

A good idea for the expansion then. ;)

• Like 2

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer