Arrows/Spells have no arc

Hello,

I have noticed that projectiles in game didnt have any arc. i am not saying its game breaking but when I played ToEE i really enjoyed that feature. I am ok if crossbows and ofc hand cannons dont have arc but for bows its strange. And little off-topic but range of ranged weapons is abyssmal. Why have we shoot from 10m max from target? What do you people think?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I like the limited range of ranged weapons. It helps keep all the action on screen.

well but somehow diminish purpose of 'ranged' weapons :)

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Considering the range used, only a slight arc would be needed - not a big deal if it's missed for me.

As for more range - perhaps they want to make sure they hit the enemy - in the fast paced heat of combat, you wouldn't want to shoot from 100 yards and hit your fighter :lol:

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

The limited range is just kind of a "necessary evil" thing IMO. I don't think I've ever played a Tactical RPG with an actually accurate representation of the range of a bow. BG did the same thing - it's just a "gamey" thing that allows the action to all fit on one screen while still allowing for tactical considerations such as protecting the back line, etc.

The limited range is just kind of a "necessary evil" thing IMO. I don't think I've ever played a Tactical RPG with an actually accurate representation of the range of a bow. BG did the same thing - it's just a "gamey" thing that allows the action to all fit on one screen while still allowing for tactical considerations such as protecting the back line, etc.

I must say that in BG it doesnt feel so close (probably due to resolution) but now in PoE its kinda weird, its like half of my monitor max

I must say that in BG it doesnt feel so close (probably due to resolution) but now in PoE its kinda weird, its like half of my monitor max

Yeah, but half your monitor now was probably off the screen somewhere when BG came out. :)

• Like 3

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Arc is nice, but now that ToEE was mentioned.. I hated how long that animation took!  

How about taking advantage of the short range , no arc, with a super fast animation of the projectile?  I mean, the arrow should be 5x faster and change the shooting sound and hitting sound?  Maybe for CBows could be even more exagerated?

Yeah, but half your monitor now was probably off the screen somewhere when BG came out. :)

Well that's true but if we can play today in such high beautiful resolution.. why design games following 18 year old standards?

• Like 1

An arc over the 5-20m's range the weapons are used at would look pretty odd.

bow have arc even on 20m not huge but its there and noticable

bow have arc even on 20m not huge but its there and noticable

Even when floating approximately 50-100 meters in the sky and watching the shot?

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Yeah, not really sure the cost (development time) is really worth the benefit (extremely tiny amount of accurate aesthetic representation).

• Like 1

Haven't tried the beta but I'll chime in anyway.

ToEE bow ranges were long, but projectile speeds ridiculously slow and thereby the arcs were huge.

How fast do PoE projectiles travel?

Everything drops about 2,5 meters in the first half second (in earth gravity) and should arc accordingly, or the behavior looks wrong.

(not to say it's a huge deal anyway, whatever way)

Edited by Jarmo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Correct me if Im wrong, but do projectile models and speed even matter to the damage calculator?

As in, does the projectile need to arrive at their destination for the "hit" to be registered?

Ive seen my Rogue´s attack damage be registered in the combat log soon as she starts her animation and ive seen the damage be registered only after the projectile hits. Its not consistent enough for me to know for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

At 30m range the arc would only be a few cm...10cm at most... unless the bow was very weak and had a low draw weight. It is not until you get to over 50m that the arc is visible to be honest though I do agree that it is significant at 80-100m.

Remember that we may be accustomed to the Hollywood representation of a large group of longbow shooting at a distance of a few hundred metres. There, you just aimed high knowing that, as a formation, your arrows would fall in a broad oval somewhere in the mass of men coming at you. 

When target shooting to hit something man-sized at a range of a few tens of meters, there will be no visible arc.

Yeah, realistically the arc is going to be pretty much invisible by that point. I mean, we often don't even notice the arrow wobble from archer's paradox (which it does for the first thirty six metres due to travelling around the bow) and we're right at eye level with it. That said, I agree with the notion of ranged combat taking so little of the screen being of issue. To be perfectly honest, while I totally get in every respect why it has to stay within the screen (and frankly wouldn't want it to change), I would, however, prefer if it at least covered the distance of most rather than 'half' of the screen. Ranged weapons that have nearly equal effective range of a throwing knife (IG) concern me as if I want to do a tactical weapon switch, or I deliberately want to keep my ranged characters at a distance it's hard to maintain, and I lose out on the strategic element of 'setting traps'. However, mechanically speaking, so long as bows have greater range than most spells I'm reasonably happy. It makes me feel like bows are superfluous when they can be 'out shot', so to speak, by a concentrating mage.

• Like 2