New BB Release This Week?

Marceror

Obsidian has mentioned its intent to release a new version every week or two. As of Wednesday 09/17 (two days) it will be two weeks since v278 was made public.

So, can we expect a new release this week? Inquiring minds want to know.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

That would be awesome altho if that was the case I'm thinking we might have heard a peep or two about it already. It seems to me my BB is getting more buggy the more I play - but I'm not sure I can uninstall it and be able to reinstall it (As I recall when I first d/l it there was a message about only using the code once).

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

That would be awesome altho if that was the case I'm thinking we might have heard a peep or two about it already.

That's why I'm asking the question. Would like to hear a peep, one way or the other.

While I'm excited to see a new version ASAP, I would encourage them to not put it out until it's ready. If some of the new changes they're implementing (i.e. to attributes :) ) introduce a few new bugs that are major in effect but minor in "fixing" difficulty, I'd prefer that they're squished before release of the new Beta. That way the next phase of testing is that much more productive. :)

• Like 4

I wouldn't expect them to have the attribute changes in so quickly. Not sure they've had sufficient time to implement and properly unit test yet, much less push to the official build. But otherwise I agree that we wouldn't want something that's rushed with lots of regressions. But I'm hopeful that they can keep to their preferred schedule of a release every 1 - 2 weeks without having to rush anything.

I wouldn't expect them to have the attribute changes in so quickly. Not sure they've had sufficient time to implement and properly unit test yet, much less push to the official build. But otherwise I agree that we wouldn't want something that's rushed with lots of regressions. But I'm hopeful that they can keep to their preferred schedule of a release every 1 - 2 weeks without having to rush anything.

Well, Josh said on Friday that they'd already been talking about doing some of the things we suggested, so the time bit might not be as big a problem. As for the others (implementing Deflection was the most major thing we suggested that they weren't already considering), Josh seemed rather receptive to it, and it shouldn't take too much time to implement. Since they're completely restructuring the attribute system anyway (making 10 the "0 point", with penalties below it and boni above it), I'd imagine the overhead for implementing Deflection wouldn't be a big deal to add on top of that. I could be wrong though. Might be that they never intended those changes to come with this next patch anyway. We'll see. :)

Edited by Matt516

I'm with Junta. I've ran into most of the bugs discussed on the current build and my opinion for classes and attributes for the current build is set. I would like to see system tweaks next, so I can form an opinion on what needs to be changed.

That said, the sooner the better.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Alas as anyone who works with code knows, promising updates every X interval can result in some rather meaningless patches. I'd rather they post patches "when they introduce significant changes or fix enough bugs to let you actually beta test systems".

It's not that I'm not eager...PATCH NAO!!!  BUT FIRST FIX!!

• Like 1

Ask a fish head

Anything you want to

They won't answer

(They can't talk)

I really hope they're willing to push back that release if it means a tons-better game. Maybe these guys can really crank, but the beta feels a long way from home.

Unless they organize their code in such a way that the beta is a long ways behind whatever in-house build they are testing, and they only merge changes into the beta long after they've proven stable? I don't know...

Edited by PrimeHydra

Ask a fish head

Anything you want to

They won't answer

(They can't talk)

Would rather they add the mayor changes and fixes before releasing the new version. Though I do feel the current version´s mayor bugs and desired changes to the system and presentation have been mostly reported and documented so theres not that much more to give lots of feedback on atm.

I have faith they can get the game out in good shape by the release date but Im sure no matter what its gonna require a few post-release patches before people can play "the very definite version".

Edited by Fiebras
  • Like 3

I must be a hopeless optimist but I just don't see how the beta is in such a sad state that, if each patch is at least of the quality of the first one, 3-4 more patches plus one release day patch won't get the game into an acceptable state. Or, at least, why so many seem to doubt that it'll work out like this.

While some new bugs appeared, overall the beta improved quite a bit with one patch.

Finalizing yet missing content is something that is hopefully sheduled and planned ahead already and nothing we have to worry about.

Reworking and testing game mechanics (attributes, combat, AI, etc...) might take more time but then it is also completely up to the Devs how much the want to reiterate on that . It does work after all.

• Like 1

I must be a hopeless optimist but I just don't see how the beta is in such a sad state that, if each patch is at least of the quality of the first one, 3-4 more patches plus one release day patch won't get the game into an acceptable state. Or, at least, why so many seem to doubt that it'll work out like this.

While some new bugs appeared, overall the beta improved quite a bit with one patch.

Finalizing yet missing content is something that is hopefully sheduled and planned ahead already and nothing we have to worry about.

Reworking and testing game mechanics (attributes, combat, AI, etc...) might take more time but then it is also completely up to the Devs how much the want to reiterate on that . It does work after all.

I hope they can optimize the bujeezus out of load times.

Ask a fish head

Anything you want to

They won't answer

(They can't talk)

and Performance, I hope to have more fps than my monitor refresh rate!

Some of the files in the source code are >_> the CharacterStats is 4500 lines lmao

and whoever wrote the inventory code has obvious done a bit of Mobile/Android Development before

Edited by Sensuki

and Performance, I hope to have more fps than my monitor refresh rate!

Some of the files in the source code are >_> the CharacterStats is 4500 lines lmao

and whoever wrote the inventory code has obvious done a bit of Mobile/Android Development before

Damn I gotta decompile this shiz and fix it!

Ask a fish head

Anything you want to

They won't answer

(They can't talk)

Me, I'd be happy with a release that allows me to more reliably load save games, and squashes some of the more prominent known bugs. I just don't have enough time to get through the entire beta in a single sitting.

I'd happy wait for the next release for the attribute changes. It seemed like they were still spitballing on this as of last Friday. I'd rather see Josh and team finalize what they want, and release that when it's really ready for release.

Just my two copper. Of course, this seems to be one of those weeks where OE isn't "in the mood" to talk about releases, so we'll either get a nice surprise, or nothing.