Microsoft buys Mojang. Millions of Minecraft fans cry out in terrror.

ktchong

It's official.  Microsoft Buys Minecraft Maker Mojang for $2.5 Billion

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced."

So glad that I've never gotten into Minecraft, and so happy that millions of Minecraft dorks must be sobbing and contemplating suicide right now. :dancing:

Edited by ktchong
  • Like 1

I would be very surprised if they recoup that. Obviously after Notch finishes the game he's been working on, I can't imagine Minecraft 2, 3 ect will do close to what the first one did.

I wouldn't mind a version for my phone though.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

I would be very surprised if they recoup that. Obviously after Notch finishes the game he's been working on, I can't imagine Minecraft 2, 3 ect will do close to what the first one did.

I wouldn't mind a version for my phone though.

Notch left.

I think M$ hate is getting old, they're actually among the nicer mega-companies today, they're certainly no EA that's for sure.
They're still involved in PRISM, but well, the US govt pretty much strong-armed all tech companies.

2.5 billions is a bit too much, but I'm okay with Azure-backed, multiplatform, Minecraft. Microsoft's strategy nowadays revolves in delivering their services (like OneNote, Skype, or MSN apps) on many platforms.

I'll guess this shows how little value money has for such firms. I honestly wonder if more than a few guys at MS think that this was worth it.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Who can blame him for selling? The amount of money he was offered is staggering. Notch is my new idol.

And it's not exactly like Mojang wasn't not rolling in the damn dough before.

Some mental giant on NeoGAF actually said that him having money is why he was a verbally abusive husband.

Now that I am thinking about it, there is actually a lot you could do with a Minecraft 2. Despite a fully new engine with better performance there could be more crafting options, more world interactions, there could be theme sets (wild west, space, steampunk, pirates, horror,...) each of them offering partly different game rules, and stuff like this. Obviously all the merchandise for this then. In the end it is a game where everything can happen.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Not that it's a useful comparison, but apparently about 5 million Xbones have been sold thus far. At $400-500 each, that's $2-2.5b worth of revenue - i.e. Microsoft could have given away every Xbone ever sold. Now that'd have been a fair sized bee up Sony's bonnet.

Every now and then you hear stories about MS shareholders wanting the company to quit the gaming market altogether, so I wonder what they think of spending that equivalent amount of money to buy one game.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I think M$ hate is getting old, they're actually among the nicer mega-companies today, they're certainly no EA that's for sure.

They're still involved in PRISM, but well, the US govt pretty much strong-armed all tech companies.

willy-wonka-condescending.gif

Not that it's a useful comparison, but apparently about 5 million Xbones have been sold thus far. At $400-500 each, that's $2-2.5b worth of revenue - i.e. Microsoft could have given away every Xbone ever sold. Now that'd have been a fair sized bee up Sony's bonnet.

Every now and then you hear stories about MS shareholders wanting the company to quit the gaming market altogether, so I wonder what they think of spending that equivalent amount of money to buy one game.

Yes, because having 2,5 billion USD in turnover means they are printing money, right? *eyeroll*

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

2.5 billion for Mojang makes more sense in my mind than 2.1 billion what SoftBank and GungHo paid for half of the Supercell (creator and developer of Clash of Clans). Even though numbers for both companies tell that acquisition prices for both companies are actually quite fair and reasonable, but still it is hard to comprehend such prices for what one could call one trick ponies.

Being a billionaire and not having to update Minecraft seems like an ideal situation for Notch.

It's official.  Microsoft Buys Minecraft Maker Mojang for $2.5 Billion

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced."

So glad that I've never gotten into Minecraft, and so happy that millions of Minecraft dorks must be sobbing and contemplating suicide right now. :dancing:

What's with the video? Why are you writing your post in English if you believe we all speak Spanish?