"Black celebrity" claims police herassement for kissing white man in public

JadedWolf

So I was reading this today:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/14/django-unchained-actor-alleges-racial-bias-arrest-los-angeles?commentpage=2

Apparently this Daniele Watts, who had an acting role in Django Unchained, claims that when she was kissing her white boyfriend, someone called the cops. And rather than telling the person who called the cops to mind their own damn business, she claims, they came to see why a white man and a black woman were kissing in public. She felt that she was profiled as a prostitute just for being black and kissing a white man, and then refused to show her ID and tried to walk away. At this point she was handcuffed and detained, and only released when her identity was established. Her boyfriend claims the police had threatened to call an ambulance and have her drugged because she was displaying psychologically unstable behaviour.

Now, obviously this is only one side of the story, and the police has not yet given their side of the story as they're still "looking into it". And the woman admits that she didn't give her ID when asked, which probably could have solved the incident a lot sooner. Some people in the comment section claim that she should not have had to give her ID when she did nothing wrong - I am not an expert on U.S. law so I have no idea if you're obligated to ID yourself in all cases. And I have no idea how she behaved, she may indeed have behaved in a way that the police might think psychologically unstable.

So I am quite open to see the other side of the story here, and awaiting what the police will say. What puzzles me though is why they were asked to show their ID's in the first place and why the police would think it necessary to respond to a complaint about two people kissing in their car. So, to those United Statians reading this, can you guys explain this or maybe give some more background? I am trying not to jump to conclusions here, and maybe there is another spin on this story which would suddenly turn it upside down, but it looks quite bad from where I am sitting if a white man and a black man kissing in a car is reason enough for the police to come have a look.

• Like 1

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

I think in the US it depends on the local state laws. Some states require you to show your ID no matter what, in others the cops don't have the right to ask for your ID if you did nothing wrong.

Either way, there is absolutely no racism in the citadel of democracy, so I find all those insinuations of racism ludicrous. Black people and mexicans, when the cops ask your ID, you show it to them slowly if you don't want to get shot, tased or put into a cell with hepatitis and HIV infected prostitutes. There is no racism. Obey.

IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

Black people and mexicans, when the cops ask your ID, you show it to them slowly if you don't want to get shot, tased or put into a cell with hepatitis and HIV infected prostitutes. There is no racism. Obey.

The notion of "You have nothing to fear, if you haven't done anything wrong" is a very dangerous approach to civil liberties imo.

Police officers are there to serve the public first and foremost - something often forgotten when they indirectly break the laws they are asked to enforce.  

As far as I understand (and I'm by no means any sort of authority on this so I defer to the members here who actually have legal training and experience)

There is no "Stop and Identity" in California, so the officer in question had to have a very reasonable suspicion to ask for ID - and even then, cannot take the ID, only see it. You are allowed to protest that they want to take your ID, because that's illegal - and of course a person feeling violated will be agitated - but when is it simply agitation that your rights are being violated or 'psychologically unstable behaviour'?

Edit: I'm under the firm belief that officers should of course be allowed to screw up, but should also stand up to that fact when they do. It seems, as a laymen, that they are all too often covering each other and bending the rules when questioned about the validity of their actions.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

From the audio tapes, you can see how she could be seen as a nuisance to the police officers. It would probably have been best if she had shown her ID right away. If we believe her side of the story though, we can understand if not completely excuse her behaviour. (Her side of the story being they were just kissing, rather than the article's suggestion they were having full blown sex).

Then again, things could be as the article suggests, and in that case it's rather reprehensible to try to get out of a situation like that by playing the race card. It's hard to judge, being a bit of a "he said, she said" kind of thing.

To be honest, I don't know enough about what happened to judge in either party's favour.

Edited by JadedWolf

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

What's wrong with beating your coworkers ?

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Racism is not tolerated here. Post deleted.

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Maybe you just got a problem discussing with someone who has different experience or point of view that is not biased by political correctness?

It's all about subtlety and grace in the execution of it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Racism is not tolerated here. Post deleted.

What got deleted?

I came in here cause I saw Sharp_One posted here and thought "oh this should be good" but it appears I'm too late... :C

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

What the hell is this.

Hilarious.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

So the bottom line, the cops were untrained/incompetent and had no right to ask for her ID, she freaks out and suddenly everyone's on cops' side ("aw come on, she should've just shown her id and that would've been it"). Slave logic. Next time a cop wants you to inspect your anal cavity for no reason or search your house, just bend over, cause it's just better to let them search it. Americans as a nation just love to have their rights violated.

Edited by Bester

Yeah, it happens all the time in Europe, except European press is under heavy censure and so it's all a big hidden conspiracy. Everyone knows it's happening in Europe all the time, but if they open their mouth, they'll go to European secret prison - Guantanamo.

Edited by Bester