F2P MMOs and corruption

Longknife

As someone who has worked on f2p mobile games I can tell you with absolute certainty that if you don't pay for the product, you are the product. Don't play that nonsense. Everything about these games is designed to get you to pony up cash. And I do mean everything. I recall at some point I modeled a level entirely made out of golden treasure not because we wanted to, but because the publisher needed money and needed something to put players in the mind of "my amount of coins is so small in comparison, I should get more".

Right. There's something to be said about a company relying too much on F2P, like some kind of cut rate concession stand (pun intended). Companies have to go up against such a large capitol base; players often compare games, are spoiled with immediate bug fixes. I have no idea what it takes to balance a budget of enough staff to hotfix and put out new content. We all know what it is to play a game that has soul though. Many F2P games feel like they just have no soul anymore. I will be looking into participating with this PoE kickstart next pay...really neat idea. I can feel the artistic soul in this game already. Sorry to be corny lol, I'm just tired of McMmo's...

Not sure why there's a huge discussion...

MMO = Corruption... it thrives on it. Be it free or paid, they just find some ways to lure you in and spend more money on grindy and generally if looked at objectively; not terrible fun gameplay.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Corruption? Erm.. That's capitalism. It's quite natural. People have to make a living. Don't you think, that people that provide a service that add value to your life should receive some form of payment for it? 

Imo, F2P is like playing a demo. If you like it, stay and pay.

• Like 1

(Signatures: disabled) 

Not sure why there's a huge discussion...

MMO = Corruption... it thrives on it. Be it free or paid, they just find some ways to lure you in and spend more money on grindy and generally if looked at objectively; not terrible fun gameplay.

So are they corrupt because their gameplay isn't fun?

I don't think it's fair to completely categorize all producers of games as "corrupt". Profit intrinsically is innocent. Devs have to balance, put out as much quality content as they can on their budget. They, we, everyone can tell quality when we see it. Art is subjective, but I do have to agree with mainstream going down this wide road of producing whatever sells the most. A new game should be fairly intuitive (not so complex as to have no flow), a player should "feel" progress subjectively (also flow related), and the game should be distinctly artistic enough to hold people's attention. But to say that all artists are corrupt is false. We as a gamer base just show support with what games we believe in. I am leary to join mainstream games though, preferring independent studios, which is why this kickstart idea really appeals to me, the epitome of independent. Good luck PoE! I know I will be contributing/playing.

Yeah, I'm not sure about that logical leap there. Addictive, manipulative, perhaps. But corrupt?

I would say manipulative is pretty close to corruption.

And no, bad gameplay is not corruption... keeping people playing (read: shelling out money) despite that poor gameplay; that's the corruption.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Someone who spends too much money for a MMO/f2p/whatever and regrets it/feels manipulated, I have sympathy and may agree that the tactics used to get people to spend that money is rather manipulative and plays on well known psychological emotional addictive factors...pretty much what most marketing is, really.

Someone who continues to do that in lots of other MMO/f2p/whatever even afterwards, and still is complaining, I have no sympathy.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Ultimately, how much you spend on a game/MMO and whether you think it's a decent purchase is up to you.

I suspect I spent close to USD $200 on Marvel Heroes, buying heroes, costume, inventory space.

- I bought 4 stand-alone heroes: 3 were played for fun, 1 become my first main heroes and still remains one of my favorites along with some newer ones.

- I bought 7 separate costumes: regretted only 1 of them, others were all on heroes that I had fun with, 2 on heroes that I main (including the one bought above)

- regretted that one purchase only because I didn't end up play the hero extensively, but I like the story (a sad meaningful one for that hero) behind that costume

- I bought 2 hero packs (hero + specific costume + hero specific stash): both were expensive purchases but I am still having fun with them ('nuff said) and love those costumes

- just bought a gift (in-game pet) for one of my old gaming buddies who just returned to the game.  Normally not a fan of pets, but it was so cute I wanted it for myself!

So of all the various purchases, only regretted 1.  And I have clocked 800 hours on Marvel Heroes and still counting.

IMO, I could do worse with that $200 by buying games i don't really enjoy playing.

... and it took me a week of nothing but eating, gaming and sleeping to complete :p