Fallout 3 type game/kickstarter. pillars of eternity / Balder gate

They kind of where on the way to doing a rug aliens got canceled the game looked awesome to..Would've bought that in a heart beat if they got the chance to finish it..Don't remember the reason for cancel .

Several things. However it came down to one of two alien related project getting cancelled.

Guess which one they chose to survive?

Hint: They didn't just choose poorly, they made an ungodly abomination of a bad decision that bit them in the ass in more ways than one.

Edited by C2B

I think a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate games would be a brilliant idea.

:biggrin:

I agree. I like PoE, but i would like their next game to not follow the same direction, to be designed in a per case way with little to no uniformity in the system and hard counters turned to eleven.

If it was completely alien/original setting on top of that, i would donate way more than i did in PoE. (and Avellone as the lead designer)

Avellone as the lead designer?

Be careful what you wish for here.

Also how would Avellone on top of a alien setting lead to BG3?

PS:T = best RPG ever created

KOTOR 2 = Second best game Obsidian ever made behind MotB as far as i'm concerned

Alpha Protocol = the ideas in the game were terrific. The execution not so much but i was under the impresion that Chris came late on the project  to salvage it, so to blame it on him would be like blaming NWN2 OC on Sawyer.

FNV DLCs  > Base FNV. Granted, they were made on top of Sawyer's system, but it's not as if i want Avellone to design the systems of the new game, just to decide the vision and the overal direction.

And the only BG3 i want is the one Ziets described on formspring, which was prety original/alien. Hard counters galore and no uniformity in the system are the things i want, or to put it differently, BG2 design sensibilities instead of IWD2/Sawyer ones.

Edited by Malekith

I think a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate games would be a brilliant idea.

:biggrin:

I agree. I like PoE, but i would like their next game to not follow the same direction, to be designed in a per case way with little to no uniformity in the system and hard counters turned to eleven.

If it was completely alien/original setting on top of that, i would donate way more than i did in PoE. (and Avellone as the lead designer)

Avellone as the lead designer?

Be careful what you wish for here.

Also how would Avellone on top of a alien setting lead to BG3?

PS:T = best RPG ever created

KOTOR 2 = Second best game Obsidian ever made behind MotB as far as i'm concerned

Alpha Protocol = the ideas in the game were terrific. The execution not so much but i was under the impresion that Chris came late on the project to salvage it, so to blame it on him would be like blaming NWN2 OC on Sawyer.

FNV DLCs > Base FNV. Granted, they were made on top of Sawyer's system, but it's not as if i want Avellone to design the systems of the new game, just to decide the vision and the overal direction.

And the only BG3 i want is the one Ziets described on formspring, which was prety original/alien. Hard counters galore and no uniformity in the system are the things i want, or to put it differently, BG2 design sensibilities instead of IWD2/Sawyer ones.

Avellone isn't good at all at gameplay. (None of the games you mentioned didn't have big problems in that department) And I'm not sure at all he wouod go for BG design sensibilities or the things you seem to want.

What makes you think that he would go exactly for it?

Also AP is a bit of a different situation than NWN2, but ok.

Edit: to clarify. I think Avellone has lots of cool ideas and approaches to gameplay, but his execution is.. lacking so far to say the least to the point where it can negativly influence the experience. And I say that with all love for Chris.

Edited by C2B

I mean Avellone as a creative lead for BGIII. All for it. As the design lead. Eh.

There are others. (Not talking about Sawyer)

I was under the impresion that design lead/ project lead didn't necessarily mean the one resposnible for the gameplay/systems. If i'm wrong then yes, Avellone has some clear flaws.

Edited by Malekith

I mean Avellone as a creative lead for BGIII. All for it. As the design lead. Eh.

There are others. (Not talking about Sawyer)

I was under the impresion that design lead/ project lead didn't necessarily mean the one resposnible for the gameplay/systems. If i'm wrong then yes, Avellone has some clear flaws.
Its part of it and you are basically responsible for the overall feel in that department. (in Obsidians current work environment)

Not that I don't want to see any Chris designed games anymore (I personally enjoyed some of the quirks in Dead Money). In a sense he's perfect for leading DLC's where he can experiment without it being too big a deal.

Edited by C2B