Namutree

The Command & Conquer style games never really caught my interest - not even the SP campaign. Although I did have limited fun playing 3v1 against a really good player.

The Total War series did indeed loose steam after Empire, incidentally also when they dropped modding support. Which I think is basically the reason people don't seem to like their games beyond a playthrough or 2 anymore. Vanilla RTW or MTW2 isn't particularly good either, CA made some great base games that the community build some awesome games on.

Which is why I almost exclusively play Paradox titles these days. They actively mod their games themselves too and create unofficial mod/patches like Sawyer did.. I love coming back to a game 6 years later and find mods that have expanded it way beyond what it originally was. This has even made me buy several copies in case the old got damaged/lost - something I would never do with unmoddable games.

Fortune favors the bald.

I've tried a number of rts games, but most weren't really my thing. Only ones i liked so far were the original Age of Empires and the Infinity Engine games. I guess I belong to the club of frantic click-fest haters and like playing them like a slightly sped up strategy/tactics game rather than a 2D action game.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

What does micro refer to. Micro manage, as in optimising various automatic operations manually.

Yes.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Well TBH after all the patches TW Rome 2 is good enough.

I liked Dawn of War better than DoW2, but the latter was still a decent RTS

I miss Warcraft...

Starcraft 2 is really good for a classic RTS, not sure why people are hating it, I guess they do not remember how the original SC worked :D

CoH is a good RTS

Men of War was a good series, not sure how the latest games are though

GIEFF Homeworld remake - I would literally pay tons of money for this game

Total Anihilation was also a good mass scale RTS game. I still play it occasionally

I dunno, for me there are two companies that are doing very good RTSes - Relic, Blizzard. Creative Assembly is more for arcadey playstyle, but it's still good enough. I am waiting for their Total War: Warhammer (it will be this next, I am like 100% sure that this is what will be announced this month)

There was once a studio called Westwood, the legends were made like Dune 2, C&C, but then EA happened...

Edited by Darkpriest
  • Like 1

I've yet to find an RTS that let's me use my full knowledge of warfare tactics :(

You might try Men of War series, I think it is closest thing you can get to Real Time simulations of a battlefield, but I agree, there is no game where you can use that kind of knowledge... or you can join some hardcore Arma 2/3 FPS clubs and get into commanding position and order real men around the virtual battlefield ;)

Starcraft 2 is really good for a classic RTS, not sure why people are hating it, I guess they do not remember how the original SC worked :D

Took more skill and had better balance ... eventually, and didn't make the majority of top players quit the game after the expansion + a patch or two.

• Like 1

My favourite RTS of all time must easily be Warzone 2100, it's also the only one I ever properly finished the main campaign of, twice (finished the Nod side of C&C: Tiberian Sun as well, sort of anyway, but that's another story). The ongoing campaign was a very big plus (each "base mission" in a chapter was set on the same map that you gradually unlocked more parts of until you moved on to the next chapter. There were also occasionally "away missions" where you had to pick a bunch of units and fly to some objective you got to assault)

Warzone 2100 is open source now btw, but the new AIs they added are just way too hard for me, but I still occasionally fire it up.

Total Annihilation went too fast for me, I always go stuck on the mission where you had to defend that base (3rd or 4th mission iirc), haven't actually tried much other RTS games in the past 10 years though I've been meaning to start TW: Shogun at some point.

TA was great for the "everything shoots everything" approach. Which was great to fly Hawks over MERLs...those ballistic missiles of theirs would miss and then land all over the place. Your MERLs could take out your base that way.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Anyone here aware of Majesty? Strangely enough a PS2 version of RISK has the same announcer if you go into options and change the announcer from normal to majesty. I liked Majesty and when I saw that option I was freaking out.

Good times...

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I can't say I enjoyed TA, but I really appreciated how gracefully it was put together. Other RTSes had token clunky mechanics dealing with stuff like patrols, repairs, and even simple waypoints. TA put it all seamlessly together: want to direct a move to a particular spot then seamlessly begin a patrol with an arbitrary number of nav points? Trivial in TA, and construction units would autorepair things along the route to boot. Meanwhile more recent games like AoE2 had a patrol system where units could only be directly to stupidly move from one point to another, and to avoid pathfinding problems, the devs cheated by disabling collision detection for units on patrol so they just clip right through each other whenever they turn around. And god forbid you wanted to repair something small like a siege unit, the pixel hunting and pathfinding made it barely worth the risk that your repairers would path obliviously to their deaths.

On the other hand, TA might be on record for having the dumbest opponent AI ever programmed. It was revealed that the AI works like this: 1) build random item from list of items eligible to be built; then, 2) any units that happen to be built using said random process, if it has an attack capability, attack nearest eligible target, which is whatever is closest, period, because the AI ignores fog of war.

So yeah, TA - not my cup of tea, but I can appreciate in the way it moved the genre forward in a way subsequent imitators failed to even match.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I have never really gotten into RTS games, I played Heroes of Might & Magic 6 but  the game kept cheating to defeat me so I got annoyed after losing 5-6 times in one of the battles so I removed it from my PC. Stupid cheating RTS game :yes:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I have never really gotten into RTS games, I played Heroes of Might & Magic 6 but  the game kept cheating to defeat me so I got annoyed after losing 5-6 times in one of the battles so I removed it from my PC. Stupid cheating RTS game :yes:

Heroes of Might & Magic 6 is turn based strategy game, with turn based tactical combat  :blink:

Heroes of Might & Magic 6 is turn based strategy game, with turn based tactical combat  :blink:

Oh, but .....well the game still cheats !!!! 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I don't know why, but for some reason I think you'd like the game Majesty, Bruce. It's like if Roller Coaster Tycoon met Warcraft.

• Like 1

I don't know why, but for some reason I think you'd like the game Majesty, Bruce. It's like if Roller Coaster Tycoon met Warcraft.

I looked this game up and it does look good :thumbsup:

• Like 1

John Milton 

I love the announcer. He sounds awesome; that's why I was so pleased when a random RISK game for the PS2 had the same announcer. Every game with an announcer should have a Majesty announcer option like the RISK game. It would be hilarious.

BTW, did you play Jade Empire? If so, did you enjoy it?

Now that I think about it; Majesty isn't an RTS. It's more of a fantasy sim game. Although you can vs. other players in it.

I love the announcer. He sounds awesome; that's why I was so pleased when a random RISK game for the PS2 had the same announcer. Every game with an announcer should have a Majesty announcer option like the RISK game. It would be hilarious.

I did  play Jade Empire and  coincidently I finished it last night :)

I enjoyed it thoroughly, I have to be honest I like the Bioware type game design. So where you get a party of interesting characters and you have to make certain moral choices through the RPG journey. I enjoyed the martial art style of combat and thought the difficulty level in combat was just right. And the narrative was full of surprises, especially who turns out to be the antagonist

I ended up Romancing Dawn Star. The way Bioware implemented Romance in the game reinforced what I have been saying in the Romance thread. Romance in there games really is optional and doesn't intrude on your game. If I didn't want to Romance her it would have been easy to avoid any Romance chatter

But it was a very good game, 70/100 8)

John Milton 

I did  play Jade Empire and  coincidently I finished it last night :)

I enjoyed it thoroughly, I have to be honest I like the Bioware type game design. So where you get a party of interesting characters and you have to make certain moral choices through the RPG journey. I enjoyed the martial art style of combat and thought the difficulty level in combat was just right. And the narrative was full of surprises, especially who turns out to be the antagonist

I ended up Romancing Dawn Star. The way Bioware implemented Romance in the game reinforced what I have been saying in the Romance thread. Romance in there games really is optional and doesn't intrude on your game. If I didn't want to Romance her it would have been easy to avoid any Romance chatter

But it was a very good game, 70/100 8)

I'm glad you liked it. :)