Bael River in Dyrford

Messier-31

SO I've seen tons of Backer Beta videos. Most notably the town of Dyrford is the centre of the beta, so I've seen it even more times than I could count. So what about it?

• According to the wiki, Dyrford lies on the banks of Bael River.

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Bael_River

• According to the map of The Reach, Bael River has its estuary into the Bay of Crowns, which is south of the Dyrwood.

http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/d/d8/WorldMap.jpg

So I figure that the river you see in the game, the same one that runs the mill, is in fact Bael River. Why then the current of the river is from south to north, instead of north to south? The movement of the mill is the key here.

I doubt that this particular map has cardinal directions mixed, so I call shenanigans ;)

sdLsqE.png

• Like 8

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

This is the Dyrford Village map, for reference:

6LtlDxp.png

Looking at the World Map you've linked to, it seems that Dyrford Village is positioned on the SW side of the river, meaning that East would be upwards on the Village Map, and North would be to the left.

Edit: No, I re-checked the World Map in-game, and the river is definitely flowing in the wrong direction.

B5dN8xF.png

Edited by Tartantyco
  • Like 2

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Perhaps water flows up hill in this world. Josh can still win this one, since he's effectively god of the PoE setting.

Edited by Marceror
  • Like 2

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

I'd rather Sawyer use some sort of designer legalism to explain away the water flowing uphill and instead rename Might to Soul Prowess or something.  Okay okay.  It's out of my system now.  I won't keep bitching in this thread.  <.<

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

i think it's the wind that blows from the sea to the mountains and the great many fish that swim upstream at that time of the season as well as the good, strong Ogre (the brother of the Ogre who bothered the village people) who wants to make up for the Ogres and help Dyrford by turning the mill wheel (in the direction you see in the game, you don't see him because he's operating it behind the building).

i think it's the wind that blows from the sea to the mountains and the great many fish that swim upstream at that time of the season as well as the good, strong Ogre (the brother of the Ogre who bothered the village people) who wants to make up for the Ogres and help Dyrford by turning the mill wheel (in the direction you see in the game, you don't see him because he's operating it behind the building).

That's almost crazy enough to make sense.

Almost!

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Solution? Change the world map - flip the village icon and call the in-game screens south at the top.

Wonder if that water-wheel is a 2D-animation or a 3D object - would reversing the animation work?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

it's not part of the Dyrford bonus quest 'Repair the mill' that was promised? I was looking forward to gain some whopping XP out of it.

- Stop the wind (difficult, player gains 10,000xp)

- Catch the fish (somewhat easier, player gains 5,000xp)

- Convince the Oger to turn the wheel in the correct direction (very difficult, because of initiating the dialogue with him)

- Attack the wheel, the 'combat' version of dealing with it, player has to click on the wheel at least 30x in 10 seconds

• 6 months later...

Here you can see that Twin Elms is by the Bael River:

http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/d/d8/WorldMap.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/B5dN8xF.png

And here you can see that Twin Elms and Dyrford have their own rivers:

http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/b/bb/Travel-map.jpg

Forsooth, has there been a new river added tot he world?

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

So I figure that the river you see in the game, the same one that runs the mill, is in fact Bael River. Why then the current of the river is from south to north, instead of north to south? The movement of the mill is the key here.

I doubt that this particular map has cardinal directions mixed, so I call shenanigans ;)

You do know how watermills work right? (If the current goes south, the mill will spin the other way, the key is in the structure of the mill and how energy works). If you hold a bicycle wheel in front of you and you push it at the bottom part, which way will the wheel spin? Towards you ;)

This video, 31:20-ish (uploaded March 7th, 2015, so it's not the latest patch) and forward, I see the current going south, and the wheel spinning the other way (like it is supposed to do).

Did they change the direction of the water and the mill in 480? (I can't check atm because my computer had some problems and I'm re-installing PoE).

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1