Sensuki's Suggestions #017: Cultural Gear Selection

Sensuki

Have overread that, so sorry regarding to that part. That you start with saying that you choose your culture based on gear and not on actual flavor wasn't helping that message to come across, however - that's what I had in mind when I started my earlier post.

Still, I don't think it changes much in the argument - if you have a couple of sets per class per culture, the differences are washed down and the culture actually becomes less clearly defined and looses flavour IMO.

In the end, it's convenient for the player to start with some specific gear he prefers, but it's not defining your character anymore than it is now, so I don't really see where more flavour comes into this.

In both variants, you can say in the end 'look at my gear, it shows I'm coming from this region', but in your variant you'd need more custom art to make that feel distinguishable to have any impact at all. I don't think that should be priority for the artists at the moment.

Why would there need to be custom art?

Ideally you'd get a choice between a few different types of armor (3-4) and an array of weapons used for that culture.

It is probably something that they can deal with through Heodan's store, however. Either way thought I'd suggest it anyway.

Edited by Sensuki

Why would there need to be custom art?

Ideally you'd get a choice between a few different types of armor (3-4) and an array of weapons used for that culture.

last post, 'cause this issue seems kinda minor, but why not start off the player with a handful o' copper and let them outfit themselves at the vendor that is available right near start of the game?  currently, Gromnir is gonna chose culture based solely on role-play appeal, 'cause the +1 attribute may be redistributed as we see fit rather than locked into the culture choice. if within the first thirty minutes o' gameplay we have enough credits to outfit ourselves as we wish regardless o' culture, then what is the real point o' the proposed feature?

am gonna assume that this suggested feature is more than simply a way to do an end-around on what you think is lame armour and weapon choices from the initial vendor. nevertheless, we can see choosing culture for rp reasons or, if the culture ability point becomes fixed, based on the ability point allocation, but starting gear?  

dunno. sensuki has had some excellent notions, but this seems...

meh

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Okay, I'm convinced that it's a trivial matter. I actually like the idea of a few coppers just to outfit yourself, although I would guess that there's something to showing the flavor of the culture. ..

But, it can't be frivolous *and* powergaming at the same time. My point about starting was more that folks was about wanting a certain look. I guess that's not an issue either.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Ill be quite honest, instead of what we have now and instead of chosing, i would like the gear to reflect on the culture we picked. To me it would give us more ties ingame and knowledge wise (sorta) yo the culture we picked. Maybe they already are tied to the culture. If so id rather it not change from a roleplaying perspective.

it opens up gameplay options to me that i normally wouldnt chose. Like i usually pick single handed weapons and either a shield or offhand, but starting out as a chanter i was given a 2hander. Im just set in my ways in alot more things that i would admit or even know. Simple things like these enhance the game for me.

Ill be quite honest, instead of what we have now and instead of chosing, i would like the gear to reflect on the culture we picked. To me it would give us more ties ingame and knowledge wise (sorta) yo the culture we picked. Maybe they already are tied to the culture. If so id rather it not change from a roleplaying perspective.

it opens up gameplay options to me that i normally wouldnt chose. Like i usually pick single handed weapons and either a shield or offhand, but starting out as a chanter i was given a 2hander. Im just set in my ways in alot more things that i would admit or even know. Simple things like these enhance the game for me.

The current system is that starting equipment is tied to culture. It's just one set though and the player doesn't have any choice.