Is it just me or combat is really tedious?

Zeckul

The Wolves in the Dyrford Crossing is the worst encounter in the game, it literally feels pointless.

I know there's loot down there in that corner, in a wall of some ruins iirc. Can't remember what the loot was though. A pointless encounter in the corner of the map was enough for me to never go back down there again.

I think the loot value is like 25cp or something. I'd prefer if they re-worked the encounter / made the more powerful wolves stronger/more threatening

I disagree. I don't think all the enemies need to be dangerous. As I have said before, exploration should not be so dangerous that even petty enemies like wolves are dangerous. The beetles aren't any more fun to fight than the wolves; they just take more time and effort to kill.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Well they did promise combat from IWD games. And J.E.Sawyer worked on IWD2 which is considered most challenging combat wise.

Only problem is, IWD games didn't have area exploration with trash mobs like BG games. PoE copies BG games with area exploration but keeps IWD dungeon romp enemy encounters. Those two don't mix well.

They should just keep IWD level combat for dungeons and rare encounters outside like you would meet in BG games (usually one per map).

On the other hand, D:OS is full of challenging combat early on and people loved it for it and it sold lots of copies. 

I'd say it's somewhat tedious some of the time.

In addition to Sensuki's excellent suggestions above, I'll point out two things --

* Some of the enemies clearly have too high HP. Even if you're doing most things right, it takes a quite a while to whittle them down. This needs fixing.

* There are bugs related to DT which make this much, much worse. They can give enemies (or you) ridiculous DT, which means that combat turns into graze, graze, graze. Like trying to dig a well with a toothpick.

None of the reasons for the tedium are fundamental; they're a matter of fixing bugs and tuning values. But right now combat in the beta isn't all that much fun, except sometimes. (So sue me but I've enjoyed finding different ways of making spider pudding.)

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I know I've read it here and there, but I didn't think much of it. I'm playing the beta as I type this, and gosh, does this game need an auto-target and auto-attack system? :yes:

I've been playing it wrong for hours upon hours. I just realized that I can select all my non-ranged characters and then press the attack icon on one enemy after the other, and I will win every frigging time! Ha! I had no idea. The trick Is select all, attack, select all, attack, select all, attack, select all, attack - just pumping it as fast as you can if you, like me, rarely want to press that pause button. This also means that slomo mode is a whole new ball game. It's so much easier, it's not even funny! :w00t:

EDIT: Yay! I can faceroll this now. Beetles, spiders, wolves, whatever - two monks on my team make short work of anything, it seems. Add those forest lurkers and the ogre to my new brainless steamrolling.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

The Wolves in the Dyrford Crossing is the worst encounter in the game, it literally feels pointless.

I know there's loot down there in that corner, in a wall of some ruins iirc. Can't remember what the loot was though. A pointless encounter in the corner of the map was enough for me to never go back down there again.

The IE games were filled with pointless encounters, especially BG1.

And those wolves are around my favorite spot to rest on the map, so I always dispatch them.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

And those wolves are around my favorite spot to rest on the map, so I always dispatch them.

I guess that wolves in Dyrford Crossing are where they are because area is from time of the vertical slice, meaning that is from the time when you needed to use dedicate resting places to rest and I think that tower ruin where wolves are is that dedicate resting place for Dyrford Crossing and wolves were meant be just small easy encounter to take over that resting place. And as now you can rest in anywhere that encounter has lost its original meaning and works only to bring some flavor for the map. 

• Like 4

All the complaints about dog-piling, and I never got the hint. :grin:

I cleared the entire Dyrford Crossing map, the encounters in the village, and went into the ruins, cleared half of it, with one single tactic: dogpiling each enemy, one at a time, with all my characters except BB rogue (firing arquebus, and BB wizard, now using Lead Spitter). It requires about the double amount of resting but no skills or tactics whatsoever. It is probably tedious, but the progress I'm making is pretty outstanding.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I guess that wolves in Dyrford Crossing are where they are because area is from time of the vertical slice, meaning that is from the time when you needed to use dedicate resting places to rest and I think that tower ruin where wolves are is that dedicate resting place for Dyrford Crossing and wolves were meant be just small easy encounter to take over that resting place. And as now you can rest in anywhere that encounter has lost its original meaning and works only to bring some flavor for the map. 

IMO there should be limited camping supplies AND resting only at dedicated rest spots. emo-emot-smug.gif

• Like 1

Or have resting spots that give bonuses, like with Inns.

• Like 2

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Inns right now are magical.

Broken bones? Curse of mummy rot? Rest here for 8 hours! All fixed! 1 silven coin only!

• Like 2

"The essence of balance is detachment. To embrace a cause, to grow fond or spiteful, is to lose one's balance, after which, no action can be trusted. Our burden is not for the dependent of spirit."

@Indira I hate to break it to you, but monks are clearly OP at the moment. With two of them I've no doubt you're roflstomping all over the map.

I doubt it's gonna be that easy once they're suitably nerfed.

54210780.jpg

I knew it all was too good to be true. Still, I had my old dream of a party with six monks, and I must say it's dead-easy to play with two already, so that dream's alive and kicking.

EDIT: They were both just using their bare fists, though. Isn't that at least a little impressive? I mean, they punched an ogre into minced meat.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

That's good news for me, then. Only time I really used an active ability after finally having received two wounds was some electric strike on that ogre. Otherwise, I just use that speed passive. It's a great way to intercept enemies with monks. :)

This is what Josh said on SA

For the next BB build, the monk has had Stunning Blows and Clarity of Agony switched over to per-encounter and per-rest use, respectively. We're also going to simplify how Wounds are acquired, as the current system is confusing and opaque for a lot of people.

• Like 1

I like this suggestion. No idea how feasible it is though.

Though they should probably be less potent than the bonuses gained from inns. I can't say I've ever slept as well under a tree than I have in a nice comfy bed.

Edited by Marceror

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

This post will probably get me run out of town, but for me, combat is a bit tedious due to TMI (too much information). Im particularly turned off by rock/paper/scissors type situations. For example, Sawyer recently pointed out that one Magic Missile type spell attack Will while another attacks Fort (or whatever), or another example being Sensuki's illustration of attacking a beetle with a slashing weapon and only doing 1 HP damage. So in my mind I envision having to hover the cursor over every enemy (or consult the Beastiary), and then switch weapons / spell back and forth or risk doing little to no damage. Im not saying this system is wrong, the problem lies with me, but when Im confronted with too much minutiae then I start to lose interest. I had the same problem with D&D 3.5. Its me, not PoE. :(