Eurogamer on Combat XP, Turn-Based Battles

PrimeHydra

Khm, Torment 2 will be using PoE engine and it will be turn based ;)

PoE uses universal game engine called Unity, as does Torment Tides of Numenera, but TToN also will use tools and modifications/addons that Obsidian has done to engine, like how they use 2D planes and dynamic lightning/dynamic water/path-finding/etc. solutions that they have gone up during development of PoE. But inXile creates their own rule system for the game as they adapt Numenera's rule system and they already have turn-based system for their Wasteland 2 (which also uses Unity), where they probably will borrow code for TToN's combat system.

Dear god I hope they don't borrow code from Wasteland 2 lol. Numenera turn based is a whole other animal. It is based on D&D turn based system while WL2 is a bastard child of InXile doing where they mixed Fallout and Shadowrun (pen and paper system). 

Yet WL2 combat looks better than PE's combat....

am not sure if we fully agree, but we do enjoy the current wl2 combat even if it is a bit... quirky. however, the wl2 combat we saw from their original beta were, to put it mildly, a mess. inxile made many changes to wl2, both minor and major, based 'pon player feedback. for better or worse, obsidian is not developing PoE with same reliance 'pon player feedback. is also not gonna take obsidian near a full extra year (gonna quibble over a month?) to get PoE out the door past the original release estimate.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"Hard to compare turn based vs RTwP"

Actually, it's really easy since I'm not arguing which is inherently 'better'. I'm talking to specific games.

I don't think PE's combat is the 'worst' but it's certainly nowhere near as good as it could be. I expect it should be as good as the IE (IWD/BG2) AT MINIMUM since it can learn from its flaws but that doesn't look to be the case. It looks to be worse than the IE. That's sad. That still means it can be fun. Yeah, still 3 months or so to go but come on if you people think the combat/game is gonna suuddenly morph into something vastly different are sadlyd reaming. I expect bug fixes  and some other minor changes but not enoguh to make it 'best ever'.

Meanwhile, WL2's combat looks legit hella fun. (and this has NOTHING to do with silly combat xp). I'm talking literally just teh combat itself.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

And as a WL2 beta access player, combat in WL2 is its weakest part. 

I'm also a WL2 beta player and finding the combat fun. I'm someone that doesn't play a lot of TB games, but I'm really enjoying the combat just the same. Whereas the combat in PoE is something I want to avoid. I don't find the combat enjoyable and mostly tedious. The recent patch helped with combat but I still wanted to avoid as much combat as possible. I have no doubt further balancing will improve combat up to the game being released, but can see myself trying to avoid a lot of it.

OK. I am definitely one of these purists. I feel like the combat design of PoE would suit TB combat much better. I am also one of those players who never used scripts in the IE games and enjoyed it. The combat in IE games was much more suitable for real time with pause. I hope they tweak the current combat system instead of switching to TB.

Didn't D:OS go turn based at the 11th hour? I certainly hope combat becomes less muddled but if not, I personally would not mind a switch to TB.

Nope .. I think they were in the air on it but they settled their choice fairly early on.

This is a CORE mechanic.. I doubt obsidian even has the grid system for that.. they are clearly using walkmeshes painted on a flat plane.. There's no logic in there for turn queues or movable locations..

I mean it COULD be done.. not on a grid system but use the system D:OS did and using the existing hit detection system maybe.. but it would be a huge endeavor to reprogram everything and as said before..

That's not what the IE games were.. not to parrot treaded water or be religious to what was done before but thats a pretty radical change.. Up for debate if it would make it better or not.. I personally would prefer RtWP for this game.

OH and Yadda Yadda.. Combat feels repetitive because no Combat XP.. but Josh knows best.

Edited by Immortalis

From George Ziets @ http://new.spring.me/#!/user/GZiets/timeline/responses

Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat. While this does put more emphasis on solving quests, the lack of rewards for killing creatures makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game) as much as I can.

OH and Yadda Yadda.. Combat feels repetitive because no Combat XP.. but Josh knows best.

HA!

that is the single most amusing thing we has read today and perhaps all week.  combat feels repetitive 'cause o' lack o' kill xp? *chuckle* am considering adding your PoE insight to our signature.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

And as a WL2 beta access player, combat in WL2 is its weakest part.

I'm also a WL2 beta player and finding the combat fun. I'm someone that doesn't play a lot of TB games, but I'm really enjoying the combat just the same. Whereas the combat in PoE is something I want to avoid. I don't find the combat enjoyable and mostly tedious. The recent patch helped with combat but I still wanted to avoid as much combat as possible. I have no doubt further balancing will improve combat up to the game being released, but can see myself trying to avoid a lot of it.

And I love TB games and WL2 has a simple and easy one compared with others. It can still be fun but it is not very stimulating. Combat is just something you do to talk to more people.